Visual scripting tool research

Visual scripting tool research

Postby austinmatthew315 » 24 Jul 2020, 17:40

Hi.
I am planning to develop a visual scripting tool for my one of my research projects that supports collaboration and history tracking for game development. The following questions were designed to figure out which features would be valuable to have in such a tool. If you have time, please kindly provide your comments.
1. Which tool or a resource do you use while developing games collaboratively?
2. Do you think that using collaboration features in a visual scripting tool (such as Unreal Blueprints, Amplify Shader Editor, Playmaker, Bolt, NodeCanvas) for game development would benefit you during game development? Why? If so, then how?
3. Tracking history allows access to previous states quickly. Do you think having this feature while developing games collaboratively using a visual scripting tool would be useful? Why? If so, then how?
4. Do you think the ability to perform collaborative game development in real-time using a visual scripting tool would be useful (e.g., like real-time collaborative editing in Google Docs)? If so, then how? Or do you think asynchronous collaborative visual scripting would be more useful? Why?
Reply to this thread if you require any further information.
Thanks.
austinmatthew315

Re: Visual scripting tool research

Postby Julius » 25 Jul 2020, 17:00

1. git
2. To some extend. Collaborative level editing in the Cube2 engine is quite fun and if simple level scripting via a build in level editor would be added, I guess that would be helpful. For general game programming probably not.
3. git has history build in, I doubt visual programming is the way forward for general game programming and in simple collaborative scripting tasks a complex history system is probably unnecessary. The exception might be public spaces where a history would allow reverting vandalism (like in Etherpads).
4. see above, probably not that helpful. For non visual scripting there is this: https://www.saros-project.org/ which might be interesting for "teaching" about a complex codebase rather than actually developing on it.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Visual scripting tool research

Postby mdtrooper » 26 Jul 2020, 00:26

IMHO Could you try to help to others projects such as Godot: Visual Scripting.
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper