What is the line between engines and games exactly?

What is the line between engines and games exactly?

Postby Jastiv » 15 Mar 2020, 03:40

I know a lot of developers say they want to make games, and end up making engines instead, or vice versa. So, I've been reading the minetest forums (and not playing the game) and I think about engines, and how they are designed to be used by multiple games but if the engine is too inflexible, then you can't make the type of game you want on it, on the other hand, if it is to flexible, then it is hard to mod, and newbie users don't like struggling to make games for it.

I'm also not exactly sure how engines are different from straight up forking, ie you take the code, and take it entirely in a different direction ie, an easy game for newbies with cute graphics turned into a hardcore game with realistic graphics (or vice versa)
Jastiv

Re: What is the line between engines and games exactly?

Postby dulsi » 15 Mar 2020, 04:42

I don't think there is a hard line between engines and games. Any game with sufficient configuration in data files could be used as an engine to build another game. How much of the configuration is in the data files would determine how different the game could be. Some people even use game without separate data files as an engine by modifying the executables but that is usually rather limited.

Engines can be designed to run multiple games. Like how ScummVM can run a variety of graphical point and click games. Or you could expect people to take the engine and perhaps customize the code itself essentially forking the project. I'm generally not a fan of forking a project. I'd rather try to work with the project to add anything you need but I understand that is not always possible.
dulsi

Postby anon666 » 15 Mar 2020, 21:16

some games are engine-less
the main difference is that the engine is reusable and it can be somewhat separated from the game itself, for instance you can test it with other dataset/testdata or even run other games on it
really universal engines are frameworks
anon666

Postby Lyberta » 16 Mar 2020, 10:06

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Danimal » 19 Mar 2020, 12:51

I differ Lybertas, normally people still write their own engines because they want to study how such a complex program is created and works, that people normally are computer engineers (or related students). But they are as well the ones that push new technologies and languages around, the ones that evolve current status quo of things, so in that respect you have reason.
There are plenty of awesome and relatively free game engines around that give people with not much knowledge the chance to create their own games; Godot, Unity, Flare... you just need the will to persevere to make something.

As for the main topic, the line is making something out of that engine, along the years in the libre community i have seen countless persons start making engines from zero. But out of all of them, only one reached the goal and delivered a game that went commercial and became an indie success. Im talking about Kenshi, i saw the creator first post nearly 15 years ago on the Ogre3D forums. So, if you start fussing how this or that could be done, you are just creating another useless engine or wont do nothing at all. A game is just an engine with beautiful furniture and a story to go along.
Danimal
OD Moderator