Open Jam 2019

Open Jam 2019

Postby smcameron » 24 Sep 2019, 00:33

Came across this:

https://itch.io/jam/open-jam-2019
https://opensource.com/article/19/9/open-jam-2019

I have no affiliation or inside knowledge about this, but it looks legit to me. Runs from Sept 27-30 (80 hours).

Guidelines (cut and pasted from the site):

* You can use any tools to create your game and it can run on any platform, open source tools and platforms are encouraged.
* There is a new voting category for "Open Source Karma" based on open source friendly your game is i.e. how many open tools you used, if your game runs on an open platform, and a nice github repo. See table below.
* It is very important to list all the open source tools you used and link to your git repo in your game entry, so you can get credit for your Open Source Karma
* Games source should be available and licensed as open source.
* You can create your own assets or use existing, openly licensed assets (e.g., Creative Commons).
* You can work solo or on a team.
* The theme will be announced at 1:00 PM September 27th (US Eastern).
* Judging will run Sep 30- Oct 8th and will be peer-based.
* Games require a minimum of 10 ratings to place in the top 3
* The top three games will be featured and playable at All Things Open.
* Games must be original for Open Jam, they can't be entries submitted to other game jams or forks of other games. You can use any tools to create your game and it can run on any platform, open source tools and platforms are encouraged.
smcameron

Re: Open Jam 2019

Postby Lyberta » 24 Sep 2019, 09:19

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 24 Sep 2019, 18:44

This is Github sponsored after all if I recall correctly.

IMHO this is a step up from before, when they I think realized afterwards that a lot of contributions where Unity3D games with only "open" game skripts.

At least this tries to give better incentives... lets look at where they came from before just criticizing it ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 24 Sep 2019, 19:09

I decided to look at the opensource.com article. They have some nice arcade cabinets to show off the games at All Things Open.

I'm thinking of trying to do something. I'm confused by the timing. It runs for three days. They say 80 hours which is more than three days. Additionally you get the theme at 1pm on the first day so either your shoehorning the theme onto the game you started developing or you are waiting to start giving you even less than three days.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 30 Sep 2019, 14:28

Alas it appears I will not be entering. I took a look at what I need to do to get the minimum product. I just don't have enough time after work today. (If my wife hadn't wanted to go to King Richard's Faire yesterday, I might have been able to do it.) Here is an early test of the main screen. Ignore the text as it hadn't been changed yet.
dulsi