People - promote your open source games

Re: People - promote your open source games

Postby fluffrabbit » 12 Sep 2019, 16:49

I played a similar Flash game that was text-based a few years ago. I recall being rather confused that it was all text. Yes, that is what you do for a "cerebral puzzle", but not a sex game. Have you considered adding graphics?
fluffrabbit

Postby DrAltaica » 12 Sep 2019, 19:13

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:I played a similar Flash game that was text-based a few years ago.
Flash for text? why oh why? I've played some AIF(Adult IF) but that mostly written in Mainstream IF tools.
fluffrabbit {l Wrote}: Have you considered adding graphics?
but I'm going for UGC and I would need a graphics engine and content creation tools. It's been done before, Thrixxx did a game where you could create animations and upload them to share. I think it was 3D Sexvilla but not vary much was made for it, for the first year at least I stopped checking on it.

but you got to be careful of your audience. Like the W.I.T.C.H. manga. It sounded like a Magical Girl series so only people that where interested in MGs tried it then found they didn't like it because it wan't a MG series(It's Spiderman but with teengirls) and people that are interested in a Spiderman like superhero story didn't try it because it looked like MGs.

Or from the FLOSS game sphere You know why FLAIRE
which is was flooded with reviews like:
4TH KOGM
** July 15, 2019 5 helpfuls
this is a rip off of Exiled Kingdoms

NotSoSly BryGuy
* July 18, 2019 4 helpfuls
its literaly a rip off of exiled kingdoms

I don't want to get bad reviews that say "The gameplay gets in the way with my faping 1 star"
DrAltaica

Postby fluffrabbit » 12 Sep 2019, 19:43

I wouldn't worry about it too much without a commercial end. What will the reviews get you?

Flash for text? why oh why?

4chan had/has a /f/ board, and that was a main source for a lot of experimental indie games. HTML5 would also be overkill for text. The only thing that isn't overkill for text is a terminal.

a graphics engine

Not difficult unless your brain is cemented in 1980s programming practices.

content creation tools

Okay, I can see where it would be difficult. Still, UGC could be based on a small set of stock assets that are mixed and matched.

I think it was 3D Sexvilla but not vary much was made for it, for the first year at least I stopped checking on it.

This was open source?

wan't a MG series(It's Spiderman but with teengirls)

From a western perspective, that's really splitting hairs. I do watch some anime, and I have trouble differentiating the genres.
fluffrabbit

Postby DrAltaica » 13 Sep 2019, 00:04

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:I wouldn't worry about it too much without a commercial end. What will the reviews get you?

People playing the game and potential contributors.

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:
a graphics engine

Not difficult unless your brain is cemented in 1980s programming practices.

You mean C? :p Not even Orge3d could write one with decent performance.

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:
content creation tools

Okay, I can see where it would be difficult. Still, UGC could be based on a small set of stock assets that are mixed and matched.

But you need the content creation tools to create the small set of stock assets. At the vary least I need to implement IK Rig so that you don't fondle thin air when you're supost to be fondling breasts.
youtu.be/KLjTU0yKS00

Thou I finally found Rich Colburn's cloth sim

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:
I think it was 3D Sexvilla but not vary much was made for it, for the first year at least I stopped checking on it.

This was open source?
No but if your interested in FLOSS sex games there's LifePlay(Source on Github)

My next project is a P2P 3d Modeler. basically Solipsis(offical source which you can't check out because it hangs on one fineMy start of a port to VisualStudio 15) meets Blender. I want it to use Piecewise Smooth Subdivision Surfaces with Normal Control(source GPL2+) to support high detail and small file size in addition to being easier to work with. But I'm waiting for Everthing Nodes to learn in internals of Blender.
DrAltaica

Postby fluffrabbit » 13 Sep 2019, 00:22

Very ambitious stuff! I thought you were just considering 2D UGC. I haven't touched IK or even bones yet because I have too much else on my plate right now.
fluffrabbit

Postby DrAltaica » 16 Sep 2019, 04:24

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:Very ambitious stuff! I thought you were just considering 2D UGC. I haven't touched IK or even bones yet because I have too much else on my plate right now.
Nope while Kisekae Set system was fun it's hard. each item only goes with one character. while with a good cloth sim and IK rig(I didn't name it thou it's surprisingly googlable for being to vague and generic being the first 3 results but you just call it the 'IK' or 'IK rigging') you make a dress and it will fit all but the most extremely non humanoid chars.

The Economic model of Alfredo Metatopia^1 is that people pay for things to be created(and nothing is created out of nothing) not for distribution. To encourage people to pay for something to be created, things should work good enough that you like them but still be rough enough that you're not satisfied the way they are. You should go, "This dress looks really good, if only it fit my avatar." You give them so many good options that they are only happy with perfection. And the tools to turn Good into Perfect are like HP48 calculators; A steep but ultimately low learning curve and easy to use once learned. Because I hate lazy people who coast thru life never doing anything strenuous because their half ass job is good enough. To teach people not just to Think Like a Programmer(TM) but to think like a Forth programmer. It's like Stephen King says, "keeping a notebook is the best way to immortalize a bad idea." In Forth you rewrite the program until you understand the problem well enough that the answer just flows from you.

^1: Named after a AGPL(which I call Alfredo because I'm terrible with names and all I could remember was A-F-R-O and Alfredo was the only word that fit that pattern plus it just sounds cooler than Affero) fork of the 2000 Metatopia Project
DrAltaica