odd idea

odd idea

Postby erichuff » 27 Aug 2019, 10:04

This thread probably addresses small games such as puzzles, although 3D ones of this type (if any) would be awesome too. Either way, I'm looking for any open-source Linux games which dynamically use art (images and / or videos) from the user's computer. It would be a nice way of passing the time if pictures on your drive could actually be used as part of a game. Ideally by randomly choosing them from a folder full of image / video files, and using one or more files for each new world / game / whatever.

The most likely type of game to do this are puzzle ones... such as jigsaw puzzles. I can also imagine simple 2D / 3D games that place images from a specified folder as paintings on walls or something.
erichuff

Re: odd idea

Postby onpon4 » 27 Aug 2019, 14:16

Yeah, there's Palapeli which lets you make any image into a jigsaw puzzle.

Beyond that, I'm not aware of any. Dynamic generation based on files on the user's computer is an interesting idea, but I never thought of a way for that to work, so I never really attempted it.
onpon4

Postby Julius » 27 Aug 2019, 17:25

Julius
Community Moderator

Postby freemedia2018 » 07 Sep 2019, 10:16

It would be cool to have a game that generated levels based on pictures you have on your PC.

The most obvious ways of doing so would probably not result in terribly playable levels, so it might require several clever tricks to mitigate that-- I can think of one right now, or perhaps user-submitted images and machine learning (or machine learning trained with existing video game levels) could work something out.
freemedia2018

Postby Jastiv » 07 Sep 2019, 20:17

I was thinking about a game that plays streaming video of free software games, and gives you in game rewards for watching them. (extra lives, cash, whatever)

Anyway, I know the kids games like gcompris, where you erase stuff with a mouse to see a picture, or you put together a picture with puzzle pieces. I guess a game could use that. It would be nice rather than having the same static images all the time.
Jastiv