Open hatch launched

Open hatch launched

Postby marknicolai192 » 14 May 2019, 04:36

Hi all,
I remember when Open hatch launched and it was a big deal at libre planet. I'm pretty sure I checked it out when it was new. After reading the year old blog post, I have come to the conclusion, that another external bug tracker is probably not what the free software community needs. It is enough for hobbyist programmers to put code up in a public repository and keep track of their own bug trackers. I went to look at some project. It had some bug posted on open hatch, I went to the actual projects website, and the bug had long since been resolved and closed.
Thanks
marknicolai192

Re: Open hatch launched

Postby Julius » 14 May 2019, 17:11

I agree, which is why I am a bit reluctant with our own new git repository.
Gitea allows repository owners to link to external bug trackers and wikis though.

I also think an issue managing tool that can sit on top of a bug-tracker, i.e. something like Kanboard might be useful, especially if you can then easily migrate to a new bugtracker. Still experimenting with it and github issue management for the time being.

What might be I.retesting in the future is to embed the issue tracker in the git repo itself, so that migrating it is easy. See:
https://github.com/MichaelMure/git-bug
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 14 May 2019, 23:12

Yep, I totally agree with everything here. Nobody wants to register an account on a site just to report a bug on one game. Fortunately nobody will ever play most of the games on this site, so there will never be any bug reports to deal with. ;)
fluffrabbit

Postby Jastiv » 15 May 2019, 01:14

Nothing fortunate about not playing the games on this site.
What is the worst thing that could happen? Developers get a bunch of bug reports for stuff they have no idea how to fix?
Jastiv

Postby fluffrabbit » 15 May 2019, 01:54

Jastiv {l Wrote}:Nothing fortunate about not playing the games on this site.
What is the worst thing that could happen? Developers get a bunch of bug reports for stuff they have no idea how to fix?

That was sarcasm directed at your talk. Bug reports are good. Still, nobody plays most of these games so there is of course that preliminary step. :|
fluffrabbit