[POLL] Moving web translations to hosted.weblate.org

Do you favor all free software project translations moving to (where possible) hosted.weblate.org?

Yes.
33%
No.
No votes
Maybe.
33%
I don't care. / I don't know.
33%

Total votes : 3

[POLL] Moving web translations to hosted.weblate.org

Postby Wuzzy » 25 Jan 2019, 02:14

This poll is for all the translators out there. :) If you're not a translator, please do not participate.

First, a bit of context. Currently, many free software projects that can be translated are having an account on Transifex, a proprietary web translation tool where translators can translate the whole game in the webbrowser. If you have translated a few games, you probably have ran across this website already. If not, it's on http://www.transifex.com (but beware: proprietary JavaScript code).
There's just one tiny problem with it: It's proprietary. Translators cannot use Transifex without executing proprietary code (namely: JavaScript code). Click here for more context and a list of games.
One possible alternative to Transifex is hosted.weblate.org. This is an instance of Weblate, a free web translation tool.

So my thought experiment (and the full poll question text):
What if all free software projects (where technically possible) decided to boot Transifex from their toolchain and collectively move to hosted.weblate.org instead? Would you be in favor of this step or against?
And why? Also, (if you like to answer that) what are your user experiences with those two websites?

Note the “(where technically possible)”. For projects that only use PO files or TS files (from Qt), that should be no problem. But if a project uses some obscure translation file format, it's probably not possible to go to hosted.weblate.org right away, but would first require significant changes in the project's way how translation system are handled. To keep it realistic, I specifically excluded those projects from the question.

Also note I specifically talk about hosted.weblate.org, and not some other hosted instance of Weblate (e.g. self-hosted or whatever). Simple reason, it seems to be the largest instance and is alive and kicking since years.
Wuzzy

Re: [POLL] Moving web translations to hosted.weblate.org

Postby Lyberta » 27 Jan 2019, 04:55

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Lyberta » 28 Jan 2019, 08:14

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 28 Jan 2019, 14:20

I tried comparing them previously, but from an outside look without having worked with them (much) they (Pootle and Weblate) are nearly identical and even use both the Django Python framework IIRC. Weblate seems to be a bit more popular lately.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Jan 2019, 17:29

Well, it's a simple yes-or-no question. This is by design. If you are against hosted.weblate.org and think Pootle (or whatever) is better, just pick “No.”. :)

The reason I picked hosted.weblate.org is that this is a live instance where it seems to be relatively easy to set up your account, while no such instance seems to exist for Pootle at the moment.
Wuzzy

Postby Wuzzy » 29 Jan 2019, 03:26

Just for the record, if you want to discuss the pros and cons of Pootle vs Weblate vs <your favorite website here>, there is a thread for that here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8059
Wuzzy

Postby GunChleoc » 01 Feb 2019, 20:38

The biggest problem I have with Weblate at the moment is that I can't get any e-mail notifications. That said, maybe moving more projects over will make it more popular and hence more likely that this will get fixed?
GunChleoc

Postby Wuzzy » 04 Feb 2019, 01:00

Maybe hop over to the Weblate support. Because e-mail notifications are definitely a thing in Weblate. They are just not activated by default. Probably because nobody wants to accused of spam. ;)
Wuzzy