Demakes

Demakes

Postby dulsi » 10 Feb 2019, 14:32

I went to the BostonFIG talks. The talks I went to were very interesting. One was on retrogames and mentioned the demake jam. Demaking is taking a game and remaking it in the style of an earlier system. I like the idea but I can't think of any games I'd like to demake. I've been playing 7 days to die but I don't know of a satisfactory to demake that game. I was think maybe Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. I probably won't try doing it at the moment as I don't have time.

Anybody have a game they want to demake?
dulsi

Re: Demakes

Postby Julius » 10 Feb 2019, 18:55

I always though this was an awesome idea for a sort of demake: http://www.wingsofstnazaire.com/
But development seems to have stalled and it is totally closed-source.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 10 Feb 2019, 19:32

Being closed-source doesn't prevent you from making a demake of it. Of course development being stalled means you may not have a lot to work with. Would you just do it with simpler graphics or change the style to 2D?
dulsi

Postby Julius » 10 Feb 2019, 19:40

No, this is already a demake of the full 3D space dog-fighting games! Maybe not demaked enough though ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 11 Feb 2019, 15:09

Julius {l Wrote}:No, this is already a demake of the full 3D space dog-fighting games! Maybe not demaked enough though ;)

I find it pretty similar to the original X-Wing. Most demakes would probably be a level below that. At least that's my opinion. Although they commented at the talks that maybe playstation era 3D games will be the next big retro game boom.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 19 Apr 2019, 18:11

What about a 2D Dynasty Warriors game? I haven't played a lot of Dynasty Warriors games but I think that could be a fun demake.
dulsi

Postby fluffrabbit » 19 Apr 2019, 21:31

Reminds me of Halo 2600. There are plenty of games I like, but it's hard to imagine reducing them to a 16-bit level. I could certainly imagine remaking things with better technology though.

I played RuneScape for a time and did consider demaking it, as it kinda plays like a Sega Genesis game. I hear the Diablo games are similar, so maybe reducing those to 8-bit with a cursor controlled by an Atari joystick, I don't know. But then again, why? Are we celebrating 4/20 a day early?

EDIT: I should have checked the post dates. Dynasty Warriors? Not a fan. Aren't all the DW players weird neckbeards? ;)
fluffrabbit

Postby drummyfish » 21 Apr 2019, 01:53

My personal wish is a Trackmania demake/clone, which keeps that addictive speedrun-based gameplay -- no collisions with opponents, just racing against time and ghosts. I really miss it and would like to create such a racing game one day -- I am considering a game so simple that it would be playable on handhelds such as Arduboy or Gamebuino as well as PC, also with an ASCII-only terminal version (i.e. create a general backend in C, then just write a few simple frontends for each platform). If anyone feels inspired, feel free to steal this idea from me ;)
Abolish all IP laws. Use CC0.
http://www.tastyfish.cz
drummyfish