genres that don't get much

genres that don't get much

Postby leilei » 30 Mar 2023, 19:33

If you browse apt downstream games or so, you'll usually see (and there's nothing wrong with having these):

- soccer game
- rally game
- puzzle (match 3, tetrominos, p*yo, etc)
- extremely id-influenced / literally id fps *cough*
- MMOs/MUDs
- platformers with snes inspiration / amiga execution
- breakanoids
- grand strategy

But what I want to do highlight stuff that I never see (or aren't aware of)

- 'couch' online games that don't rely on typing (some related software patents may have expired for this)
- non-soccer sports (american/canadian football, cricket, basketball, hockey, baseball, non-mini golf, etc)
- racing on watercraft or aircraft
- 2d fighters
- 3d platformer of the 1996-2003 kind that are revisitable obstacle courses with a goal to find more X (aka "collectathons")
- 2d platformers with lite rpg progression to gradually move past obstacles in large non-linear maps with new abilities gained (aka "m*troidv*nias")

i'm not saying "clone this game", but "there are gaps" and i've began my post small for room in realizing more of them, and maybe finding about existing games to fit the latter that hadn't been featured enough to make attention for going downstream that fit these.

While universe has plenty, I can't help but feel it's a bubble.
leilei

Re: genres that don't get much

Postby freem » 30 Mar 2023, 23:44

> - non-soccer sports (american/canadian football, cricket, basketball, hockey, baseball, non-mini golf, etc)

billardgl, blobby volley...

> 2d fighters

C-dogs SDL

No names come to my mind for the other stuff, but my mind is not perfect. I'm pretty sure I've seen games that would match the descriptions for most of the cases except the racing stuff, but that's because I don't like racing games much.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby leilei » 31 Mar 2023, 00:20

I should clarify that "2D Fighters" means fighting games on a 2d plane, and not neccessarily games rendered with 2D graphics as they can be 3D too. i.e. Yie Ar Kung Fu, Steet Fighter, Guilty Gear Strive, etc. And yes, there are also cases of 3D fighters rendered in 2D, such as Fatal Fury, and Tekken Advance.
leilei

Postby Technopeasant » 20 Apr 2023, 02:53

2D fighters:

OpenMortal
Meat Fighter - The Weiner Warrior
PainTown

All of these are going back a ways though. Hikou no mizu seems to be still updated though.
Technopeasant