Looking for libre 4x game

Looking for libre 4x game

Postby PeterX » 21 Jun 2022, 19:56

Hello everyone, this time I have a question:
Do you know a 4x game that is completely open source/libre? With "complete" I mean that the assets are open source, too!

Can be single-player or multiplayer and graphics-based or text-based.

Edit: I missed a well-known one: 0 A.D.! Do you know any further one?

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Re: Looking for libre 4x game

Postby Julius » 21 Jun 2022, 22:09

0 A.D. is a RTS, not a 4x game.

I guess Unciv is fully libre?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby PeterX » 22 Jun 2022, 08:43

Yes, Unciv and Freeciv count. Thanks.

Edit: And Fciv.net
PeterX

Postby bzt » 24 Jun 2022, 12:43

How about Empire, the mother of all 4x games? ESR has a GPL licensed POSIX port of it. Just a thought, I don't know if this qualifies for your list or not, because it's terminal based ("assets" are essentially character combinations), but maybe someone could add libre graphics to it (like it was done with NetHack)?

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby PeterX » 24 Jun 2022, 16:50

Thanks, this is a valid "entry", too :) It's even in Ubuntu/Debian packages which is nice.

BTW strictly speaking it's not a list but rather it's that I'm completely new to 4x games. just detected that they are a good genre, too.

BTW 2 I even don't know the difference between a realtime strategy game (RTS) and a 4x game. I know, there are the four ex... principles, but I don't see why they don't apply to 0. A.D....

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby Julius » 25 Jun 2022, 14:15

4x are almost always turn-based (or give you control of time) and are also usually grid based. RTS is a completely different game genre IMHO.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby PeterX » 25 Jun 2022, 14:22

Julius {l Wrote}:4x are almost always turn-based (or give you control of time) and are also usually grid based. RTS is a completely different game genre IMHO.

keep in mind that I'm a complete newbie to 4x games, so I have no clue. For me 0 A.D. seems like a 4x game to me, but your points make sense.

I guess OpenHV and the many similar games that are out there are 4x?

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby Julius » 26 Jun 2022, 10:51

OpenHV is also a RTS. Not sure why you continue to bring up examples that are nothing like 4x games. Are you trolling us? :D
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby PeterX » 26 Jun 2022, 11:08

Julius {l Wrote}:OpenHV is also a RTS. Not sure why you continue to bring up examples that are nothing like 4x games. Are you trolling us? :D

Sorry! No, not trolling you! As I said, I'm new to it and I see these games which look interesting to me and it seems to me that the 4 X principles are in the gameplay. Maybe I am actually more a RTS player? I don't know. At least Empire seems interesting to me which IS a 4X game. I think I will try several RTS and Unciv, Freeciv and Empire. Maybe then I can judge better what's the difference.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby farrer » 26 Jun 2022, 13:24

FreeOrion a free, open source, turn-based space empire and galactic conquest (4X) computer game.

Also, there's FreeCol, although not strictly a 4x game, but it's somewhat similar in concept/gameplay too IMHO.
farrer

Postby PeterX » 26 Jun 2022, 14:40

Thanks, these games look promising. :)

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby freem » 10 Jul 2022, 13:19

Wiki could use an entry for the 4X genre, but OTOH: «4X (abbreviation of Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate)» applies to many RTS too, since most RTS have resource to exploit, fog of war, allow to build, and requires to exterminate opponent. (quoted text was taken from wikipedia).
But then, «The term "4X" originates from a 1993 preview of Master of Orion» so the canon game is turn based, and happens in space, I guess. Here one can link toward [the blog](https://freegamer.blogspot.com/2020/04/ ... ee-4x.html) which last entry is about that kind of games.

I guess it's safer to stick to the "modern definition" according to wikipedia:
In modern-day usage, 4X games are different from other strategy games such as Command & Conquer by their greater complexity and scale, and their complex use of diplomacy.

Reviewers have also said that 4X games feature a range of diplomatic options, and that they are well known for their large detailed empires and complex gameplay. In particular, 4X games offer detailed control over an empire's economy, while other computer strategy games simplify this in favor of combat-focused gameplay.

Looking at FGD wiki for candidates (not named yet) that I remember a bit:

So, mindustry, widelands are clearly 4X games according to both 1st and modern definitions. Unknown horzons, maybe, I don't remember if there was a way to have soldiers or other aggressive means to remove opponents, but it definitely have the economics thing. Cultivation could also be a candidate, I think I remember the goal was to be last in line, but I don't remember much about the resource control.
freem
BN Moderator