Someone blanking pages

Someone blanking pages

Postby Taknamay » 27 Nov 2016, 03:50

This seems to be taken care of pretty efficiently, but I thought it was interesting enough to mention. Someone is blanking pages for some reason on LGW...

https://libregamewiki.org/index.php?tit ... &limit=500

I have no clue what someone's motivation would be for this. Boredom I guess.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Re: Someone blanking pages

Postby Lyberta » 27 Nov 2016, 04:13

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby onpon4 » 27 Nov 2016, 05:20

I don't know about it being taken care of. Look at all those pages! Not to mention, it's coming from multiple IP addresses. This could easily lead to some articles being permanently reduced to single paragraphs and no one being the wiser. (Note: not all the edits are blanking pages, in fact most of them are just taking out single sections.)

I think this should be taken as an indication that a limit should be placed on the frequency of anonymous edits allowed.
onpon4

Postby Taknamay » 27 Nov 2016, 15:18

onpon4 {l Wrote}:I don't know about it being taken care of. Look at all those pages! Not to mention, it's coming from multiple IP addresses. This could easily lead to some articles being permanently reduced to single paragraphs and no one being the wiser. (Note: not all the edits are blanking pages, in fact most of them are just taking out single sections.)

I think this should be taken as an indication that a limit should be placed on the frequency of anonymous edits allowed.

Oops yeah. Now I see that it stopped being taken care of a couple days ago. Before that it was being undone pretty well.

Can the wiki just be hard reset to the 23rd or something? I think there's haven't been too many positive contributions in that time frame, if any.

EDIT: Just a note to self, that I think https://libregamewiki.org/Bullet_dodger was added in that time frame.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby onpon4 » 27 Nov 2016, 15:46

Yeah, that would probably be the best course of action. It's not like there have been no worthwhile contributions, but I'd gladly accept losing them to gain back all the articles that have been vandalized into nothingness.

But first, something needs to be done to prevent vandalism from happening at this scale again. (I'd, as mentioned, recommend limiting the number of anonymous edits allowed in a given time period, maybe 3 a day.)
onpon4

Postby Duion » 28 Nov 2016, 01:54

Why not just disable anonymus edits, as well as registering. Dealing with those sabotage on such a small site is not worth the efford. Most people who edit or want to edit articles on the side probably know each other anyway so they can ask for an account.
Duion

Postby onpon4 » 28 Nov 2016, 03:29

It looks like they've come up with something much better: a bot that detects these edits and automatically reverts them.
onpon4

Postby Duion » 28 Nov 2016, 09:42

I more wonder who got the motivation to spend so much efford in sabotaging such a small site.
Duion

Postby charlie » 28 Nov 2016, 10:35

Duion {l Wrote}:I more wonder who got the motivation to spend so much efford in sabotaging such a small site.

Likely somebody who has too much time, too little to do, and has taken some kind of personal afront to either the site or our collective of sites. I recall that buffoon who spent hours and hours trolling the forums, presumably because at some point somebody had said something not nice about his rather sketchy FOSS game that he made non-FOSS because of it.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 28 Nov 2016, 15:59

Ah that guy.
Duion

Postby onpon4 » 28 Nov 2016, 17:40

charlie {l Wrote}:I recall that buffoon who spent hours and hours trolling the forums, presumably because at some point somebody had said something not nice about his rather sketchy FOSS game that he made non-FOSS because of it.

I think I found who you're talking about and remember him (though not for the game, which I never noticed), but it looks like the game in question is still libre (or was made libre again, as the case may be). There are license headers indicating the GNU AGPL on the .java files, and the website states in no uncertain terms that all the Java code is under either the GNU GPL or GNU AGPL. (Also, the source repository is there and seems to be current; it's linked by the FAQ on the website.)
onpon4

Postby charlie » 29 Nov 2016, 10:59

If you mean this guy then, no, I meant somebody else (although him and that somebody else could well be the same person, just different usernames).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby VNS » 10 Feb 2017, 22:56

Couldn't you look at the users' IP?
Hello there!
VNS

Postby onpon4 » 11 Feb 2017, 03:58

No:

1. Most people have dynamic IP addresses, meaning a single IP address gets shuffled around multiple users periodically.
2. People who are up to no good typically use proxies. These proxies may be ones that legitimate users need or want (e.g. Tor), or they may be legitimate users themselves, with malware-infected computers.
3. A user's IP address can change for many other reasons.

So in short, you can't reliably detect who a user is based on IP address, or otherwise use their IP address to stop them from wrongdoing.
onpon4

Postby jorgesumle » 30 Apr 2017, 19:19

> EDIT: Just a note to self, that I think https://libregamewiki.org/Bullet_dodger was added in that time frame.

Hi, I'm the creator of Bullet dodger, but I can't add my game to LibregameWiki. Could you help me out. I got this error:

[9e4b12f0] /index.php?title=Bullet_dodger&action=submit MWException from line 1781 of /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/page/WikiPage.php: Could not find text for current revision 38035.

Backtrace:

#0 [internal function]: WikiPage->doEditContent(WikitextContent, string, integer, boolean, User, string)
#1 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/page/Article.php(2049): call_user_func_array(array, array)
#2 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/EditPage.php(1957): Article->__call(string, array)
#3 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/EditPage.php(1957): Article->doEditContent(WikitextContent, string, integer, boolean, User, string)
#4 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/EditPage.php(1331): EditPage->internalAttemptSave(array, boolean)
#5 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/EditPage.php(560): EditPage->attemptSave(array)
#6 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/actions/EditAction.php(58): EditPage->edit()
#7 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/actions/SubmitAction.php(40): EditAction->show()
#8 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/MediaWiki.php(458): SubmitAction->show()
#9 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/MediaWiki.php(255): MediaWiki->performAction(Article, Title)
#10 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/MediaWiki.php(682): MediaWiki->performRequest()
#11 /srv/www/libregamewiki/includes/MediaWiki.php(476): MediaWiki->main()
#12 /srv/www/libregamewiki/index.php(41): MediaWiki->run()
#13 {main}

I uploaded the screenshot here: https://libregamewiki.org/File:Bullet_dodger.png
jorgesumle

Postby alexander » 02 Dec 2017, 18:14

Given how ridiculous this is, we should probably disallow anonymous edits, and include a moderate-first-post policy. That almost always takes care of problems like these. However, I don't have access to such things, so I think Hendrik would have to do it.
alexander