Not easy to contribute to the wiki

Not easy to contribute to the wiki

Postby ffaf » 17 Mar 2020, 20:39

I now and then contribute to the wiki (account: Faf) and it is a bit of a pain in the proverbial butt.

The problem lies with "edit pending" messages. This is a problem in two ways:
- it is not very conductive to wiki'ing (you lose that immediate feel of "I contributed, whooo!")
- when you need to make an edit that requires multiple different actions (think: upload a picture, display it in an article) you need to wait for the approval of the former to perform the latter.

I guess the "edit pending" solution was implemented to fight spam, and I don't have much experience with managing wikis to propose alternative solutions (captchas? trusted accounts after a number of successfully reviewed edits?).
ffaf

Re: Not easy to contribute to the wiki

Postby ffaf » 17 Mar 2020, 20:42

I will hijack this thread to ask a mod to approve this edit.
ffaf

Postby ffaf » 20 Mar 2020, 16:40

ffaf

Postby Technopeasant » 16 May 2020, 01:41

It is indeed a pain, but as an experienced wiki admin I understand how much spam bots there are out there. The ability to edit your own draft is helpful.
Technopeasant

Postby Milanium » 20 Jul 2023, 20:23

The annoying edit hiding is the reason why I stopped contributing. I have never seen any MediaWiki installation like this.

The wiki also seems abandoned by the system administrators. https://libregamewiki.org/Template:Repositories shows

Error creating thumbnail: /bin/bash: convert: command not found:

If you can't be bothered to just install ImageMagick, then I don't have high hopes to improving the moderation.
Milanium