Translations status

Translations status

Postby bd4e » 31 Dec 2009, 12:14

Hello !

I am wondering if this is the translations status of supertuxkart 0.7.
Are the translation string finalized and will there be support for non ASCII characters like čšćžđ ?
bd4e

Re: Translations status

Postby Auria » 31 Dec 2009, 17:51

Hi,

currently the strings are not officially frozen, but it's starting to change much less.

We have 2 fonts : the "normal text font" and the "title font". The "normal text font" has a lot of characters, I think those you mentionned are all there. The "title font" has much less characters, but they can be added if necessary.
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 01 Jan 2010, 07:08

A more advanced question: will there be support for Unicode characters like Chinese characters, etc. ? :)
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 01 Jan 2010, 18:42

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:A more advanced question: will there be support for Unicode characters like Chinese characters, etc. ? :)

Unicode is supported, but our current font does not include them, so we'll need to update our fonts to include Chinese characters ( and figure a way to not fill the video card's memory with Chinese characters for everyone that does not use Chinese ;) )
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 02 Jan 2010, 15:02

Unicode is supported, but our current font does not include them, so we'll need to update our fonts to include Chinese characters
I think font is not a problem... if I want to use Chinese translation I'll find a proper font including Chinese characters... So the only thing to do is assign different font files to different translations...
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 02 Jan 2010, 15:06

Another question: what's the "txf" format in STK0.6.2 "\data\fonts" folder? How to edit them?
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 02 Jan 2010, 18:14

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Another question: what's the "txf" format in STK0.6.2 "\data\fonts" folder? How to edit them?

Forget this format completely, STK 0.7 will not make use of them :)

Even though, in my previous answers, I made one mistake; currently gettext gives us UTF-8 I believe, and irrLicht expects UTF-16. For latin-1 characters, the conversion is easy to do (just zero padding), but for multibyte characters we will need to include better unicode conversion, maybe libiconv - that remains to do, and if someone is knowledgeable on the subject I'd appreciate help :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 22 Jan 2010, 16:53

In STK0.7 I still can't find the font file :| I tried to make a zh_CN translation, but Chinese characters didn't display at all (no characters, no rectangles) in game :x ...
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 22 Jan 2010, 17:01

Chinese and other 32-bit characters aren't supported yet; but they're working on it.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 22 Jan 2010, 18:22

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:In STK0.7 I still can't find the font file :| I tried to make a zh_CN translation, but Chinese characters didn't display at all (no characters, no rectangles) in game :x ...

A couple font files can be found in the /data/gui subdirectory; they are png files with a .xml file to bind them

Arthur is right that, at the moment, only UTF-16 is supported by the current fonts. But if Chinese is a totally different font, we might be able to just use a UTF-32 font file and get away with it - on Unix systems. Windows uses 16-bit wchar_t characters, which, I think, would prevent chinese from working on windows.
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 23 Jan 2010, 05:49

Chinese, Japanese and some other characters' ASC range is in 32768-65535, are 16-bit characters, not 32-bit characters ...
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 23 Jan 2010, 17:01

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Chinese, Japanese and some other characters' ASC range is in 32768-65535, are 16-bit characters, not 32-bit characters ...

ah! sorry for my mistake. it should work then :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Arthur » 24 Jan 2010, 01:24

acme_pjz: I have found a Simplified Chinese font and converted it to Irrlicht's format. If you're using the alpha version of STK 0.7, you can download and extract to yourSTKinstallation/data/gui and then rename the file "okolaks.xml" to something else, and then rename the file you extracted called "AR PL SungtiL GB.xml" to "okolaks.xml". Please test your translation in STK and say if you're happy with the font (I made it bold; not hard to read I hope?). Thank you. :)
Attachments
AR PL SungtiL GB.zip
Chinese Simplified font; see above instructions.
(2.35 MiB) Downloaded 314 times
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 24 Jan 2010, 01:31

Arthur {l Wrote}:acme_pjz: I have found a Simplified Chinese font and converted it to Irrlicht's format. If you're using the alpha version of STK 0.7, you can download and extract to yourSTKinstallation/data/gui and then rename the file "okolaks.xml" to something else, and then rename the file you extracted called "AR PL SungtiL GB.xml" to "okolaks.xml". Please test your translation in STK and say if you're happy with the font (I made it bold; not hard to read I hope?). Thank you. :)

acme_pjz : Adding to this, if you have trouble installing the font, don't bother, just send me the translation, I'll make it work for the next release
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby bd4e » 24 Jan 2010, 09:07

Hello !

I have tested the slovenian translation in supetuxkart revision 4511.

I have noticed there are still some english prhases even though the .po is completeley translated.

For example there is always "by" present in the Fastest lap, time of the fastest lap, by specific kart.
Also special characters are not displayed correctly during the race - finished in displayed kon ano instead of končano.

I will do more thorugh testing in the beta stage when all the challenges will be working, etc.
bd4e

Postby Auria » 24 Jan 2010, 16:32

Hi bd4e,

good catch, that "by" was not marked to be translated. I'm fixing this in SVN atm.
EDIT: it's now committed :)

Also, it is a known issue that the in-game font has missing characters. I will need to discuss this with Hiker, but I'd generally favor deleting that font and using the same ones as for the GUI, so we're sure all characters are there.
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 24 Jan 2010, 20:42

Auria {l Wrote}:Also, it is a known issue that the in-game font has missing characters. I will need to discuss this with Hiker, but I'd generally favor deleting that font and using the same ones as for the GUI, so we're sure all characters are there.

I agree, let's get rid of the old font. I'll try to fix the other issues (track exporter, light maps) first, then remove the font (feel free to do it earlier though ;) ).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 25 Jan 2010, 01:04

hiker {l Wrote}:I agree, let's get rid of the old font. I'll try to fix the other issues (track exporter, light maps) first, then remove the font (feel free to do it earlier though ;) ).

done ;)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Jan 2010, 15:44

I have found a Simplified Chinese font and converted it to Irrlicht's format. ...

Thank you very much! Then I'll try it... And actually I have Irrlicht SDK installed in my computer, but it's 1.5 version :| Will FontTool in Irrlicht 1.5 also work?
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 25 Jan 2010, 16:34

Not sure, but I think so. I can do the converting though, so you shouldn't have to use FontTool yourself. See if this font does what you want, and if not, we have to find another font with an acceptable license.
Arthur

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Jan 2010, 17:47

The font is great, but the character size is just a little big, bigger than the title font ...
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 25 Jan 2010, 17:57

Oh, that should be rather easy to fix. Could you post a screenshot of your translation? Then I can re-export at a smaller size.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 25 Jan 2010, 18:48

Arthur {l Wrote}:Oh, that should be rather easy to fix. Could you post a screenshot of your translation? Then I can re-export at a smaller size.

Not needed, I can easily scale the font in the code. Just show me where you would like this to happen
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Jan 2010, 19:12

There are some screenshots and po file (beta only, may contains mistakes :) )
Attachments
zh_CN.zip
po file
(7.67 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
unnamed-2.jpg
screenshot - help screen
unnamed-1.jpg
screenshot - main menu
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 26 Jan 2010, 02:49

Thanks. How to fix this will require some thought, but needs to be done of course.
Auria
STK Moderator