Move translations to hosted.weblate.org?

Move translations to hosted.weblate.org?

Postby Wuzzy » 08 Sep 2018, 22:13

Hi there!

Would it be OK with you if you moved the online translations of SuperTuxKart to hosted.weblate.org?

Sadly, Transifex is built on proprietary software; you cannot use it with out running non-free obfuscated JavaScript, and I don't want to trust that code. And just briefly looking at the source code, threre a lot of weird obfuscated stuff going on. Oh, and “disabling JavaScript” is not an option, this website just breaks completely.
I would feel more confident on a free platform. And in general, I think it just doesn't make sense that translating a free software game depends on proprietary software. ;)
It does not have to be hosted.weblate.org, any other platform would be fine with me, too, as long it works and does not require translators (including me) to run proprietary JavaScript code.

Looks like Me & My Shadow (also present in the FreeGameDev Forums) recently moved over to there as well. Minetest is there since a very long time, I also kept translations up-to date here and it works just fine. Probably a very few other games are there, too but not so many. I hope this will change when more people from the free software sphere become aware. :)

See also: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8059
Wuzzy

Re: Move translations to hosted.weblate.org?

Postby deve » 08 Sep 2018, 22:47

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
I think it just doesn't make sense that translating a free software game depends on proprietary software.

Does running free game on non-free hardware have a sense? Actually, is your desk open source? :P

Honestly, transifex has everything that I need for translating.
deve

Postby Wuzzy » 10 Sep 2018, 17:41

Does running free game on non-free hardware have a sense? Actually, is your desk open source? :P

Hardware is an entirely different beast. Desks are not even software, don't be silly. XD

Let me put it another way: In order to translate STK online, you must run proprietary software. I think this should change. Is it really so much to ask that contributors can contribute to free software without having to depend on proprietary code? :)
Wuzzy

Postby deve » 10 Sep 2018, 19:48

Desk is one of the tools that you use for translating, transifex is a tool too :P I personally don't care as long as we don't have any restrictions when using transifex. An in your way we would have to get rid of github, sourceforge, etc... And STK translations are just text files, so you don't need to use transifex and simple text editor is enough (it's harder to integrate translated files with STK, but it's doable).
deve