Greenhill Track

Greenhill Track

Postby CinusMinus » 20 Aug 2016, 18:34

After finding the old sources of my greenhill track for 0.8.1 I decided to rework it for the new engine.
What i have changed so far:
    Exchanged most textures for more generic ones
    Added alternate route
    Better visual quality and more details (mainly rocks and cliffs)
    New structures (church and castle)
To do:
    Better buildings in village (current ones could be move to some background location)
    Better trees
    Background hills
    Plants or vegetations around track border
Further Ideas:
    More alternative routes
images (with old style for comparison)
village2_before.jpg
The old track with trees suffering from backface culling
village2_after.jpg
new village with castle

valley_after.jpg
reworked valley with cliffs and castle

start_after.jpg
current start area

Download WIP Version :by: :sa:
CinusMinus

Re: Greenhill Track

Postby MTres19 » 20 Aug 2016, 20:01

Wow, looks great! Some more vegetation, terrain features, and buildings, a more interesting skybox, and an ambient light map is all you need to make this really good!
MTres19

Postby MTres19 » 20 Aug 2016, 20:02

You may also be interested in the new documentation I've been writing: https://supertuxkart.net/Art_Portal
MTres19

Postby CinusMinus » 21 Aug 2016, 01:47

I was trying to create waving grass along the track boundaries as in cocoa temple, but i can't figure out how to restrict the movement to the upper part of the grass. When I use the provided texture all of the grass is moving around.
CinusMinus

Postby MTres19 » 21 Aug 2016, 04:05

You have to use vertex coloring (this won't appear in-game with the vegetation shader). See https://supertuxkart.net/Materials#Vegetation.

There's also a link to a vertex coloring tutorial from there.
MTres19

Postby samuncle » 21 Aug 2016, 04:27

Hi it's great to see people using the new engine and adapting tracks.

To answer your question, you can paint vertex color of the object. Black means it wont move and white it will be affected by the wind. You can see this in all vegetations objects.

Note: the vertex color for these objects won't affect the textures.

Also I recommend you to learn how to use the library. It's at least 100 objects ready to be used in supertuxkart, like pine-trees, barriers, flowers, etc

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby ArDanWol » 25 Aug 2016, 02:44

Is this in the addons?
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby suiciwd » 27 Aug 2016, 06:39

Nice track.Can't wait to see it and how can I install it
Graphic Designer & Website Developer
suiciwd

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 27 Aug 2016, 22:26

I liked the track; it's easy to drive on it. The environment is nice, the houses/buildings are good and have nice textures. :) Maybe some animals like cows and sheep may complement the mood. ;)
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby CinusMinus » 27 Aug 2016, 22:35

As I just noticed someone put the track to addons. The main reason for me opening this thread was to show everyone that I am currently working on this track and that it is not yet finished. I would have uploaded it to addons when it reached completion, but as this thread states, I don't consider it to be finished.
Currently I am writing several exams and don't have much time making stuff for supertuxkart, but after that I will continue working on the track.
It was never my intention to restrain the track by not putting it into addons yet, but I just don't consider it to be finished.
Now that it made it there I won't call it back, but still I don't really like it to be there because it gives a much different first impression to players downloading the track, which could keep players away.
What is even more important is that the addition to addons implies some grade of completion which is not given for a WIP track.
And with someone else uploading my track I don't have control over the current version and changes won' be reflected in the addon (I've actually made several changes to the track since i started this thread and the presented version is quite different from my current version)
So in short: I really disapprove of updloading someone else's WIP tracks, when he states that he is still working on it.
CinusMinus

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 27 Aug 2016, 23:47

I totally disagree with the idea of uploading to the add onn site a WIP made by another person, but I 'am sure the person who uploaded your track had good intentions. :) Maybe he/she tried to make the test easier for noobs. However, nobody will modify your work, since you didn't assign any license.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby CinusMinus » 28 Aug 2016, 09:32

There is good reason why I only uploaded the track to the forum and not to addons, especially testing should only be possible to users interested in testing unfinished tracks.
I agree that xegdarx has probably not intended anything bad, but he could at least have asked for permission to publish my addon.
There actually is a license for the track, indicated by the symbols next to the download, but the license stated on the addons site (CC0) is definitely incompatible with that license.
After thinking about it for a while I eventually decided that I would like the addon to be taken down until I can upload the finished version of the track. If xedgarx can't or won't take down the addon himself, I'd like to ask an addons moderator to remove the addon because of license issues, as the current license file is copied from the old addon and not intended for the new one, which will be published under a different license.
Finally I like to stress again that I consider it highly impolite to upload tracks that someone else is working on without even asking for permission. I would also like the old addon not be ported by someone else, because as I stated I am working on it.
If someone is investing their spare time into making things and then someone else publishes the work in their own name (though mentioning me as designer) long before it is finished that is highly frustrating.
CinusMinus

Postby Ludsky » 28 Aug 2016, 10:07

For me, i wait your futur work of this track. It's a track promising ^^

Perhaps change the starting point ? ^^

I wait your futur screen with changements....

PS : Sorry if you don't understand, i'm french ;)
Ludsky

Postby CinusMinus » 28 Aug 2016, 23:20

Thank you for your feedback.
I haven't planned to change the starting point though it is an interesting idea to start in the village, which has the other straight piece of road. I'll have to think about that one.
CinusMinus

Postby Auria » 29 Aug 2016, 01:42

CinusMinus {l Wrote}:There is good reason why I only uploaded the track to the forum and not to addons, especially testing should only be possible to users interested in testing unfinished tracks.
I agree that xegdarx has probably not intended anything bad, but he could at least have asked for permission to publish my addon.
There actually is a license for the track, indicated by the symbols next to the download, but the license stated on the addons site (CC0) is definitely incompatible with that license.
After thinking about it for a while I eventually decided that I would like the addon to be taken down until I can upload the finished version of the track. If xedgarx can't or won't take down the addon himself, I'd like to ask an addons moderator to remove the addon because of license issues, as the current license file is copied from the old addon and not intended for the new one, which will be published under a different license.
Finally I like to stress again that I consider it highly impolite to upload tracks that someone else is working on without even asking for permission. I would also like the old addon not be ported by someone else, because as I stated I am working on it.
If someone is investing their spare time into making things and then someone else publishes the work in their own name (though mentioning me as designer) long before it is finished that is highly frustrating.

Hi,

I have unapproved the track on the addons website. Sorry about the trouble, when approving the add-on I had not realized this was not submitted by the original author. That the wrong license was stated is most definitely improper and cause for the addon to be taken down as well.

I'm looking forward to the finished version of your track!
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby CinusMinus » 29 Aug 2016, 20:43

Thank you for taking care of that. As soon as I finished my exams in a few days, I will resume work on the track and I hope to complete it soon.
CinusMinus

Postby CinusMinus » 07 Sep 2016, 22:34

I've finally replaced the trees with the library trees and I really like the result:
addon_greenhill-2016.09.07_23.19.54.jpg

Grass still needs to be improved, but the effect is great
addon_greenhill-2016.09.07_23.20.44.jpg

In addition to that I've also added several new building to the village:
addon_greenhill-2016.09.07_23.20.20.jpg

Note that I've duplicated the bluish house and added a ground plane to help figure out the final size and shape of the village.
CinusMinus

Postby MTres19 » 07 Sep 2016, 23:13

I just added a new section to the decorations page. For an outdoor track like this you might be interested: https://supertuxkart.net/Making_Tracks:_Decorations#Particle_Systems_for_Distributing_Decorations
MTres19

Postby Ludsky » 08 Sep 2016, 17:48

Wow, is very good improvement ^^ Possible perhaps to change the decoration of start line ^^
Ludsky

Postby CinusMinus » 09 Sep 2016, 00:19

If I leave the starting point in its current position I probably won't change the decoration. I like the current one as it is, maybe I could adapt it a bit more to the landscape.
But I also like your idea of changing the starting point. Moving the start to the centre of the village is another option I'd like to try as soon as I finish the village.
CinusMinus

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Sep 2016, 01:08

Nice improvements! :)

My opinion: green hill is the name of the track, however, the village is the "surprise element" IMO. So, I think that the start line must stay where it's is or in another stretch of the forest. In this case, would you consider a gate like these?

Gramado
http://portalradar.com.br/portal-radar/ ... ado-RS.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media ... o-tour.jpg

Blumenau
http://pousadabrigitehostel.com.br/wp-c ... umenau.jpg
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=port ... l+pomerode

Pomerode
https://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/pho ... 390222.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media ... -weege.jpg

Campos do Jordão
http://muitaviagem.com.br/wp-content/up ... 20x330.jpg
http://boulevardgeneve.com.br/blog/wp-c ... mpos-1.jpg

Actually, I have a project for another track in my own country (I'm Brazilian and I have already a WIP track placed in the baroque Brazil in 1750), in the South, where portals like these are relatively common. So, I think that a gate like this fits your track, because the architectural styles are basically the same (Germanic) and it could be a nice start line IMO.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby CinusMinus » 21 Sep 2016, 11:45

Here is the newest development version of the track. I have fully redone the landscape and road, they look a lot better now. The village still needs some work, but it is already pretty close to what I imagine.
New landscape with distant hills and forests:
new_landscape.jpg

The village:
village_sidewalks.jpg

village.jpg

And my concept for the village:
Village.jpg

EDIT:
Nearly forgot to add the dowload: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxvXF ... ERRT3BOUVE
CinusMinus

Postby Ludsky » 21 Sep 2016, 12:37

Wow, it's beautiful :)
Ludsky

Postby Arthur » 21 Sep 2016, 13:04

That looks nice indeed, I'll have to try it in-game to comment further but again, good work so far. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur