Chequered flag

Chequered flag

Postby woompa loompa » 08 Aug 2016, 20:58

Would it be possible to animate the chequered flag that is displayed in each "loading..." screen (the one with the black/white squares to be clear)? Something like this
woompa loompa

Re: Chequered flag

Postby MTres19 » 08 Aug 2016, 22:02

I'm pretty sure that's already been asked in one of the topics you've opened, and I'm pretty sure the answer is no, not without a large amount of work.

Perhaps you don't realize that the developers are already working as hard as they can and that (relatively) unimportant requests like this waste their time. The developers aren't paid to please you. STK is open-source, so why don't you code some feature, fix a bug, make a track, make a library object (people models are really needed), help write documentation, or even just triage bugs? All those are far more helpful than making unreasonable requests that developers have to take the time to answer.
MTres19

Postby woompa loompa » 08 Aug 2016, 22:35

MTres19 {l Wrote}:I'm pretty sure that's already been asked in one of the topics you've opened, and I'm pretty sure the answer is no, not without a large amount of work.

No, I've never asked this before. And I didn't know this would take such a huge amount of work. As a non programmer, I merely thought it could be something as simple as replacing a PNG with a GIF. I didn't know it would take hours of coding to make something like this.

MTres19 {l Wrote}:Perhaps you don't realize that the developers are already working as hard as they can and that (relatively) unimportant requests like this waste their time. The developers aren't paid to please you. STK is open-source, so why don't you code some feature, fix a bug, make a track, make a library object (people models are really needed), help write documentation, or even just triage bugs? All those are far more helpful than making unreasonable requests that developers have to take the time to answer.

It's incredible how mean your comment is. I really wonder why you feel the need to write such laughable, offensive and pointless comments. So much indeed that I think you are the one wasting time here. What is even more ridiculous, is that according to your pointless observation suggesting a possible improvement is a waste of time, but working hard to support proprietary platforms is not.
I'm not a developer, nor I know how to develop or make 3D models. But I'm a user, I play STK regularly because I enjoy it. I talk with my friends about it and I also try to get more people to play it, because it's a nice game. I know that developers don't give a shit about what I want, but if the game is really open source, than I thought they would appreciate some ideas and feedback from a user point of view to improve the game. They can take my ideas into consideration or just ignore them; they make the game. It's not like I **want them now**!!! I just asked if it's possible or not, with the hope that maybe they could add this feature on thir checklist. Do it now or a year from now it's not a problem. But instead it turns out that now users can't even make comments or suggest improvements. This community is toxic.
woompa loompa

Postby MTres19 » 09 Aug 2016, 00:32

I'm sorry, I may have been rather harsh. The problem is not that developers don't care, it's that they don't have time. I suggested two things that a non-artist and non-programmer can help with. Documentation is not that hard to write, and bug triaging is incredibly simple. Either of these show support for the team, reducing their workload. But constant feature requests show a lack of respect for the team's work, as if they didn't have enough on their to-do lists already.

With proprietary software, one supports development by buying the software. The company then has an obligation to do what its customers want. But open-source software is different. If you don't directly support the project in some way, the devs have no obligation to listen to your opinion. That's not too say that they don't want to, but it's important to remember that they're not paid to listen. Of course you should express your opinion sometimes, but as I said above, constant feature requests show a lack of respect for the team's work.

PS: I'm not (yet) a programmer myself, but I've done a lot of work on documentation.

PPS: Also stated before, if designed properly, making a program cross-platform is relatively simple. OpenGL, OpenAL, FreeType, etc. are all cross-platform. CMake, which is used to compile SuperTuxKart, makes it easy to compile on lots of different platforms.
MTres19

Postby benau » 09 Aug 2016, 02:00

benau
STK Moderator

Postby woompa loompa » 12 Aug 2016, 19:41

MTres19 {l Wrote}:people models are really needed

Would it be possible to import models from other free games, such as 0AD? Maybe STK could use those...
woompa loompa

Postby Arthur » 12 Aug 2016, 20:17

0ad people are very low-poly because you only see them from afar, also there would be a lot of texturing work obviously. Not impossible at all, but I am not sure an artist would really save much time using it since he/she would need to make a lot more details and new textures. But perhaps it would good still, as there are already walk animations and such.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby GunChleoc » 29 Aug 2016, 17:11

0AD are currently working on animating a new model, which is also better quality than the one you see currently in-game https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.p ... s-upgrade/
GunChleoc