Power slide

Power slide

Postby suka » 29 Jun 2016, 07:29

Thanks for making STK, it's very nice game that I enjoy very much!

I'd like to suggest a couple of improvement that in my opinion would be really cool:

- long skids/drifts such as those in Crash Team Racing, see for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RdmmeOWdEU This doesn't seem to be possible in STK :-(
- a "power slide" also similar to Crash Team Racing. Basically, karts can get some Turbo boost after landing from a jump
- a different animation when the character is up in the air (during a jump)
- characters voices
- the music is really depressing. Would it be possible to have more catchy and lively tunes? (And also more as in quantity) There's plenty of music freely licensed

Thank you!
suka

Re: Power slide

Postby Dugglez » 30 Jun 2016, 13:12

Hi suka,

- while it may be challenging to drift on long straight parts of road, there's plenty of corners to drift on.
- there aren't many jumps in STK and when jumps occur you usually fall and roll over. The engine is made so instead of always landing a jump seamlessly, if you go too fast you will just roll over.
- same thing
- why?
- depressing? Just to name a few lively tunes: bovine barnyard, Oliver's math class, the old TK2, the old shifting sands. There are many happy songs.
Dugglez

Postby 0zone0ne » 30 Jun 2016, 22:15

IMHO, the game's current physics are too wonky to have jumping as a gameplay mechanic the way it is in Crash Team Racing/Nitro Kart, although I agree that those games have a very rewarding system. I don't think this kind of system is practical in STK without major improvements to the physics engine first.
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 01 Jul 2016, 01:33

As for animations, that is a nice idea of course, the only problem is that we currently do not have animators in the team, so that naturally limits what we can do with characters

Same for character voices, we do not have professionnal voice actors in the team, and not many good amateur ones volunteering
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby woompa loompa » 13 Jul 2016, 07:18

I agree that tracks in general have very few corners to drift on. Most tracks are long and with wide lanes. I often find myself in the middle of a long straight road with a slow kart, which makes the game kinda boring.
woompa loompa

Postby woompa loompa » 15 Jul 2016, 07:59

I've paid more attention to this, and I think @suka is right. The driving style is too much "realistic" and too little "arcade". Wide tracks with slow karts that strive to follow a perfect trajectory almost reminds me of those Formula One games. I think STK should probably be a little more rewarding when driving karts. For example offering more opportunities to drift and engage in battles with other karts, faster karts (or more boosters), more (hidden) shortcuts, more jumps, more altitude variations. I'd say "more silly driving" and "less realistic driving" :-)

Long segments with little variations and very little to pay attention to (= nothing to do a part from steering your kart) is what kills the fun.

Just my ¢2 opinion
woompa loompa