Music suggestion

Music suggestion

Postby asciimonster » 29 Oct 2010, 20:16

Since we already have a classical piece in the stk repertoire (Beethoven's 5th), might I suggest another classical theme to include:
The Bourree alla polacca (Polish dance) of Telemann.
It a nice happy-go-lucky tune that is short (for classical pieces anyway) at just 2:40 something.

Do you think it would suit the game?
asciimonster

Re: Music suggestion

Postby Auria » 29 Oct 2010, 21:06

Hi,

could be interesting, but we need to find a version with an open license before we can use it
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 30 Oct 2010, 14:18

Auria {l Wrote}:(...) but we need to find a version with an open license before we can use it

...or we learn to play it ourselves. :)
asciimonster

Postby asciimonster » 29 Jan 2011, 21:40

I found a free copy of the music score (transcribed for guitar, since it was originally for harpsichord). It took me ages to code them all but here is the result. I even had to redo stuff when I realised it was is A major (C->C#, F->F#, G->G#, E#->F, :? au! brain hurt! :cry: ) .

And I have a new respect for the piece. It a lot more ingenious (read: complicated) than it looks. And I still love it.
Attachments
Bourree_alla_Polacca.7z
The midi file
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Bourree_alla_Polacca.ogg
Midi rendered to acoustic piano
(3.66 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
asciimonster

Postby Arthur » 29 Jan 2011, 22:25

Nice tune. Maybe a little on the long side (even though it's short for a classical piece ;) ). Did you have any specific track in mind where this piece would fit?
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 30 Jan 2011, 02:30

Hi, that's a nice tune, though IMO as it is now it does not really fit a kart game; one would need to add more variety to it (more instruments), perhaps some percussions/drums

Maybe we could make it a little faster too, it would fit karting more
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 30 Jan 2011, 09:01

What about Mozart's Variation on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman" (aka Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZbGKsNlRYA
One of the faster ones might work (and we might even switch to a different variation on the final lap :) ).

Or Flight of the Bumble Bee?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZF2rBN3 ... re=related

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby asciimonster » 30 Jan 2011, 12:42

Arthur {l Wrote}:Nice tune. Maybe a little on the long side (even though it's short for a classical piece ;) ).
Most people actually do play it faster, so speeding it up is not problem. Although that might not be historically correct: You should be able to dance to it. Also there are some repetitions you could remove.
Arthur {l Wrote}:Did you have any specific track in mind where this piece would fit?
No
Hi, that's a nice tune, though IMO as it is now it does not really fit a kart game; one would need to add more variety to it (more instruments), perhaps some percussions/drums
More instruments, possibly. But I have no hard/software to do that. Percussion... :think: I don't see how. While it is a 4/4 measure, it's a bourée rhythm (one, two, three-and-four, one, two, three-and-four, ...). That's very hard to convert to any modern rhythms.
hiker {l Wrote}:What about Mozart's Variation on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman" (aka Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)?
Do you by chance have the score lying around? :cool:
hiker {l Wrote}:Or Flight of the Bumble Bee?
I disagree. Hearing it over and over again can be very annoying...
asciimonster

Postby Arthur » 30 Jan 2011, 13:25

I made a shortened "cover version" of Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag" once, and the scores and such have fallen into the public domain, so by definition it should be safe to use.
But, I based it upon a MIDI file which had no license info attached, and while I tried to e-mail the website admin a while back, I never received an answer. I think personally that a MIDI file would be a derivative work of the original scores, and thus would fall under the same terms. I'm afraid it could still be a legal concern, as a MIDI file is technically a different medium than a sheet of paper, and thus could be argued to be an original work.
Any suggestions on this?
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby horace » 31 Jan 2011, 00:30

http://www.musopen.com
http://www.classiccat.net

those sites could be interesting. they offer public domain classical music.
i looked around on musopen a bit and some of its stuff (especially by army orchestras) sounds quite good.
horace

Postby hiker » 31 Jan 2011, 01:26

asciimonster {l Wrote}:
hiker {l Wrote}:What about Mozart's Variation on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman" (aka Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)?
Do you by chance have the score lying around? :cool:

I actually do. I could ask my wife to play it, and see if I can record this with good enough quality with my laptop (from digital piano).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby asciimonster » 15 Apr 2011, 14:13

Here's an new suggestion: Hob.XVI/11 - Menuet/Trio
Attachments
HobXVI11.7z
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 260 times
asciimonster

Postby asciimonster » 15 Apr 2011, 14:15

And a reminder to never write music for your wife... It may end up in mushroom in a Dutch amusement park.
Attachments
Menuet fur Anna Bach.ogg
(968.76 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
asciimonster

Postby Auria » 15 Apr 2011, 16:33

Nice little tunes Asciimonster, though again I think they hardly fit a karting game :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 03 May 2011, 22:37

Well, I had to complete the sonata. Order is: Presto, Andante, Menuet/Trio
Attachments
HaydnSonataInGmajor_Hob_XVI_11.7z
Haydn Sonata in G major Hob.XVI-11
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
asciimonster

Postby asciimonster » 18 May 2011, 23:22

And, just for the heck of it, the mysterious barricades. Added some extra voices too...
Edit: Completed and improved
Attachments
CouperinLesBaricadesMysterieuses.7z
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
asciimonster

Postby asciimonster » 30 May 2011, 20:34

Auria {l Wrote}:Hi, that's a nice tune, though IMO as it is now it does not really fit a kart game; one would need to add more variety to it (more instruments), perhaps some percussions/drums

If you do this you will get the attached result. I leave it up to you to determine if it is an improvement.

P.S. I did this with Aria Maestosa, sound familiar Auria? :cool:
Attachments
Bourree_alla_Polacca_stk_version.7z
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
asciimonster

Postby KroArtem » 30 May 2011, 20:43

Aria Maestosa

Oh yeah, I've heard something about this ;D
KroArtem

Postby Auria » 31 May 2011, 01:05

asciimonster {l Wrote}:
Auria {l Wrote}:Hi, that's a nice tune, though IMO as it is now it does not really fit a kart game; one would need to add more variety to it (more instruments), perhaps some percussions/drums

If you do this you will get the attached result. I leave it up to you to determine if it is an improvement.

P.S. I did this with Aria Maestosa, sound familiar Auria? :cool:

oooh nice :D
Nice work on the tune otherwise. Of course we'd need better synths than midi though (and a track to put it into, of course ;) )
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 31 May 2011, 08:54

Auria {l Wrote}:Nice work on the tune otherwise. Of course we'd need better synths than midi though (and a track to put it into, of course ;) )

I only have a midi synthesiser and a a good piano emulator. So if somebody else would like to generate a sample?
asciimonster

Postby Arthur » 31 May 2011, 11:37

i could perhaps try that. Not sure when I will get the chance to, but it would be fun to try. :)
Arthur