Clarification of licencing of Mine soundtrack

Clarification of licencing of Mine soundtrack

Postby HarJIT » 18 Oct 2015, 11:18

Seeking some clarification about the licence for West (Krobonil's Old Mine soundtrack) - primarily seeking a response from Krobonil.

The given terms of use (in the RTF document) are:

Music made by Chris Leutwyler (Krobonil)

Please use this music only for Supertuxkart.

The licence is cc-sa.
(Creatice Commons - Share Alike)

Two areas of potential, probably unintentional, FUD or other confusion here:

• The major concern is that the non-NC CC licences all license the work to be used for any purpose by anyone (more or less their raison d'être), and such permission is required for DFSG compliance anyway. "Please use this music only for Supertuxkart" thus appears to contradict whichever licence you plausibly meant, and possibly break DFSG compliance.
  • The more minor question is that you seem to refer to the discontinued CC-SA, which only ever existed in the largely-obsolete CCv1.0 family. It is entirely reasonable that this is what you meant; whereas it is not implausible that you meant the CC-BY-SA, which exists in the more advisable CCv3.0 and current CCv4.0, but you didn't say that.Whichever way, some clarification (CC-SAv1 or CC-BY-SA) would be great.
While I do not intend to offend, I might offend those who do not know me well, either by accident or due to my occasionally blunt disposition going too far or else not translating well to a text-only medium. I do accept polite explanations of what I am doing wrong, and I do try my best.
HarJIT