Concept art and logos: new updates.

Re: Concept art and logos: new updates.

Postby samuncle » 09 Jul 2015, 14:22

Imagine a circus at night; then, imagine this circus at night, Maybe a nightly looks even better.

Here is a quick example I just made in less than 30 minutes with the theme of a circus. It took me really only ~20 min of including objects already existing, the only stuff that was modeled is the giant pavilion. The point here is you really should learn how to use blender and our technology (more on that in the big and long review).
circus.jpg

Yes the giant light beam, the flags, the christmas light are all already done and included in stk. Also I could have included the beach ball + some other interesting stuff :).

Please, don't creat too much expectancy, because I don't know how to do this at night using blender and I don't know too if the new engine support too many lights. :oops:

Don't care too much about the amount of light you can put in stk. The new engine manage them without "too much issue". In my example there is something like 18 lights
circus-2.jpg

I simply can't understand why hundred, thousand guys read a post

:!: Warning the counter doesn't reflect how many different people read a post but rather how many time people clicked on that link. I think you pretty much sum the whole list of regular contributer to the project and the forum. I don't think other people read the forum (or at least regularly enough).

It's so simple to do: "Hi! I liked", "Hello,sorry but I disliked"! like a survey

See this as an advantage, you "only" have to convince the core team. If you try to please everybody you end up with nothing because people love to complain :P. We give you high quality feedback and that's "all you need". If you are driven by the number of "like", maybe the core team forum isn't the best place :P.

You are the art director and Auria, one of the project leaders. If I post a concept art or a song, both WIP, but nobody other than you comments, this would be sad, but, at least, the members of the team showed their interest for my project

That's at the end of the day "what matters", because that's the project leader that will decide whatever we include or not. If your goal is one day to see your track included in stk that's the people you should listen. If you want more feedback ask other game designer, other artists, I managed to get someone from crytek who gave me important advice about my work and how to make things right.

I cancel my work and start working on another one, because I won't waste my time in some stuff nobody cares. This is not childish behavior; on the contrary

Yes it's childish. Again if the core team is happy why do you brother to please everybody. In bigger commercial project (like pixar) you aren't even allowed to show to your family your work, everything is more or less secret until the release. Because general public can't tell if something is WIP or not. They keep everything for themselves, they do some presentation but it's mainly an in house project.

it's part of business principles. For me, it's marketing survey: no feedback, no progress. Plain and simply. If I see no feedback, I immediately assume that it's not worth to spend resources on the idea.

Again why complaining you get plenty of feedback. To be honest I had several post when I presented my work in other forum with simply like 0 replies, did I stopped ? nope, I went back to the drawing table and started again and again until the result was good enough. If you want to create a wow factor (and I think from what I read and understand) it's your objective you have to work hard and to create something that will be better than the regular supertuxkart track.

I agree that the characters don't look like part of the same image, together. This was an attempt to create just a banner showing them instead a scene with all characters. The characters (except Sara, Pidgin, who were finished art work made by yourself and the character's official rendering

Well yes it might be our character and our 3D object. But in our poster they don't look out of place ;), sorry but you have to go back to the drawing board and start again.

were made on Inkscape, not in 3D. Nolok and Wilber were blender files adjusted by my brother. He made their renderings in the positions as asked by myself, so, I had to draw on Inkscape over the renderings. So, there's no 3D objects to make a 3D rendering. I need to render the image in 2D as if it was 3D, looking like a real scene in 3D. So, I need to improve the light and shadows, dept of field, etc., everything in 2D using inkscape, since I don't have photoshop and my knowledge on Gimp doesn't allow me great works in photo editions, just the basic

Well you should really think about using 3D, or watching tutorial about matte painting because this really looks like several character cut in a piece of paper and included. Some are in 2D some are in 3D, there is no consistency.
Thanks. I will try to make the banner looks like a scene in 3D instead a collage.

Why not making a 3D scene ? Our poster use both technique. The main part in the front is 3D and other are 2.5d/matte painting.
poster.jpg

You mean, it's better to remove the tiger?

Not necessarily but he should not be bigger than characters that are in the game.
As said above, everything was made on Inkscape, not in 3D unfortunatelly.

Then use 3D :P
Yes, but the truck is a WIP too, as I said. Be sure that it has every detail. You will like it and maybe, use it on farm (with different paintings, of course) and other tracks.

Maybe, to be honest for the farm we were thinking about something more "cow boy/old school"
Sorry, I didn't notice the loudspeakers. Or maybe I did, but I forgot it.

It's not a big issue what I wanted to say is we have already in our library several AWESOME objects that would fit perfectly for a circus like:
-> Fireworks (watch 0.9 trailer at the end)
-> Flags and banner (again in the 0.9 trailer)
-> Christmas light (in the snowy track)
-> etc (see the screenshot at the beginning)
The giant ball is the "Globe of Death", where Sara ride her bike. The material are basic, no textures, since this a very work in progress demo.

Then it should be something more clear, here is a "real life" example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H4jUptw4Vk

Well, I know that this is not the best thing to do, but I prefer this way. Why? It's simple: I like to turn the idea into "solid" scenes with the respective objects while the ideas are coming. If I have a lot of ideas about some project and I simply list them all, the final result is not as good as if I start making the scene when the ideas are recent or coming.

In 2013, I had two options: 1. Start learning Blender and training hardly making objects until I could reach the level of guys like you, Anon, ctdabomb, etc; or 2.Start immediately creating the tracks on Maya. I have chosen the second one.

And that's an issue, let me explain the candy theory. You are asking free candy to people (in a form of feedback). They are not paid and they give you their precious free time to answer your post (I'm already up to 40 min of my time to write this answer).
So you are "happy" because you get your candy, people like your project but then nothing, you show them nothing back. They want something in return, they want to see their idea included in your project and finally to play to the track you are teasing, but instead you are presenting another and different project.

So what happen ?
-> You present the project ask for feedback
-> People are interested and give you some advice
-> Then you completely ignore them (aka we have no more information), we don't know what's the status of the project we have nothing
-> After a while you present another secret project you are working on and you completely forget the old one.

Basically you are asking candies for free but you don't give anything in return and that's a big issue. There is no 3D files, no tracks, nothing just some screenshot. After a while people get bored and are wondering why should I give feedback since he is always starting new projects.

In 2013 instead of starting 8 different unfinished project you had started only 4 more and in parallel learned blender (btw blender isn't has hard as it looks, and you know already a lot of the philosophy behind 3D modeling) well in 2 years you would have a good level (at least to import you stuff in blender and export them in STK).

So, everything related to Blender is like a barrier for me. I pause the project and I start a new project making the environment on Maya. That's why we have 8 unfinished projects (with all objects modelled, many with the final textures) since 2013 and no one is finished for use in the game.

And don't you think it's sad ? All this time and people's feedback "wasted" in your hard drive never published at least in the addons ?

Would be perfect if I had a partnership with some guy with enough experience on Blender (not you, Anon, ctdabomb or XGhost, who have your own projects). So, I could make the track completely (scene with all objects, the drivelines, the textures) and he could help me on Blender inserting textures, lights and dynamics.

Anon started blender with less knowledge than you. Stop breaking your own dreams :P. You already know what it is to model/texture. All you have to do is to learn how it's done in blender and in particular how it's done for our engine. If you can only make object you could do assets for our library. But I strongly recommend to learn how to use our tools and our technology.
I don't consider this harsh.

:)

No problem. I understand you advice and I will try to make the image a scene instead a collage.

Sure try to make one better than our poster ! (BTW it's not ironic, just try and if you achieve something better than what we did it will be included in upcoming release).

New rule: If you don't provide feedback on a STK contribution of any sort, you are not allowed to complain once it's completed and released and are banned from using that contribution until you provide feedback! :D :lol:

that's not a good idea. People are free or not to give advice, we prefer a few of high quality feedback rather than pools or statistic. I mean if 1000 person tell you they like the project but nothing else it's a bit difficult to improve yourself. However if you manage to get a pixar artist who know his/her job to give you feedback it will be IMHO way more interesting than 1000 people saying they "like" your project.

As a conclusion (and a personal advice)
-> Stop to loose focus on several unfinished projects
-> Motivate yourself to learn blender, take the most advanced of your project and try to import it into SuperTuxKart, play with it. It's not really difficult you just have to convince yourself you can learn and use blender
-> The next time you open a topic instead of showing us just some screenshot release a track so we can PLAY and do a race. It's extremely difficult to give advice with something that's not using our technology, it's almost useless.
-> I (but that's personal) won't give you feedback unless I have a track to test, just take your most advanced project and import it in SuperTuxKart. That doesn't mean you have to do the next cocoa temple. A simple track we can try in SuperTuxKart and give you proper advice.

I like the idea of the nightly track more so. Maybe even some fireworks in the background (that's probably too far) ;)

Everything is possible, even firework :P, just watch carefully the trailer https://youtu.be/0FEwDH7XU9Q?t=1m41s
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Akien » 09 Jul 2015, 15:14

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Personally, I don't like to comment unless I have something interesting to say. I think that a thread full of just "I like / don't like" would spam things, so I never make posts like that. All the silent lurkers might feel the same, please don't take it personally.

Same here, I read *everything* that gets posted in any FreeGameDev forum, but I only comment when I have something valuable to bring to the topic :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby charlie » 09 Jul 2015, 15:34

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I simply can't understand why hundred, thousand guys read a post, but no one has enough interest to comment other than you, Auria, Arthur, Anon, OzoneOne, ArDanWol, GunChleoc, etc. as always.

That's because a thousand people don't read the post!

Many of the reads are repeats. I've probably visited this thread 20 times now.

Many of the reads are just regular users clearing their unread posts and having a nosey.

There just isn't the volume of active forum members reading your post in detail that you think there is.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Jul 2015, 23:00

Hi, everyone!

To samuncle:
samuncle {l Wrote}:Here is a quick example I just made in less than 30 minutes with the theme of a circus. It took me really only ~20 min of including objects already existing, the only stuff that was modeled is the giant pavilion. The point here is you really should learn how to use blender and our technology (more on that in the big and long review).

It Looks nice.

samuncle {l Wrote}:Don't care too much about the amount of light you can put in stk. The new engine manage them without "too much issue". In my example there is something like 18 lights.

What about 180? A circus at night demands many points of light.

samuncle {l Wrote}:You are asking free candy to people (in a form of feedback). They are not paid and they give you their precious free time to answer your post (I'm already up to 40 min of my time to write this answer).

What about MY precious free time? I'm not paid, too. What about to waste not 40 minutes, but 40 days making a track and no one care about it?

samuncle {l Wrote}:...you "only" have to convince the core team. If you try to please everybody you end up with nothing because people love to complain :P. We give you high quality feedback and that's "all you need". If you are driven by the number of "like", maybe the core team forum isn't the best place ...Yes it's childish. Again if the core team is happy why do you brother to please everybody.

More or less. You are the primary target. The secondary and main target are the STK fans, the gamers who will download your game and, maybe, start donating. Everything is made for the public. As a marketer, I reapeat again and again: the directors and the president liked the new product or campaign? Good, but, do the public have the same feeling? That's why we have researches and surveys in marketing.

ArDanWol {l Wrote}:I like the idea of the nightly track more so. Maybe even some fireworks in the background (that's probably too far) ;)

This would be very beautiful! :)

To Akien, charlie, GunChleoc and samuncle:

Let me make this as clear as possible: there are two kinds of marketing research: the qualitative and the quantitative. Qualitative research is made with a group of potential costumers who have the profile of the final target public. It's like a mix of interview and brainstorm. This is used to pick up ideas and impressions that will be used to develop the final product/service to be offered to the final costumer, the main public. But, if the public don't like the product when it is already available in the stores and web? Could be a loss of many Millions or maybe Billions in Dollars, Euros, etc. There's no one who is going to risk money, time and reputation in a project that has uncertain sucess. That's why we have the quantitative reserach, which show us sampling that gives us the idea about the opinions of the universe formed by potential costumers.

Again: this is not childish behavior. I'm a marketer and a former militar (infantry soldier and officer in the Navy). The basic rule of strategy is: don't have obsession, don't start chasing an objective expending resources, wasting time and putting in risk lives, if the final goal doesnt worths the money, time and lives. No matter if the general, president, king, emperor, ... liked the plan. Does it realy worth the risk and involved resources? Not? Forget it!

Here, I can make my qualitative research asking for feedback from you (samuncle) . other developers and frequent users of this forum. You give me the initial feedback to develop my project (in other words, this is my qualitative research), but what if the main target - the gamers - simply don't like the idea and don't agree with you? I will waste my time in a track that just a few ones will be interested to drive. That's why I asked for more participation (as in a quantitative research).

Charlie,
Your forum has 3315 members. I don't know how stuff works here, but I tought that many members were acessing the topic, reading the comments and exiting in silence instead giving us a feedback. No problem, from now.

Well, case closed. I will not insist in more feedback.

samuncle,
I know that I need to learn Blender. As I said before, my brother export the files and makes the drivelines actives, then, we test the tracks, but not always I can depend on his help, so, I'm trying to find motivation. It's not because Blender is difficult, but, it's like to start learning trumpet because some kind of project only accept solos played by trumpets. So, I think to myself "I will study at leat 3 years to reach the same level I am playing saxophone....humm,...sorry, but I will play the solos in my saxophone and later, I will use some software to convert the voice from saxophone to trumpet".

One more time: I'm planning to release "Las Dunas" in Blender files in the next days or two weeks (I had an issue with the part of the driveline where the jump occurs). This is not the definitive track, but a playable track.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby capricom45 » 09 Jul 2015, 23:20

I have to agree with Akien on this one: If I have something relevant to say, I'll say it.
The track looks awesome, but that's my own opinion.

It's a circus, right?

(Regarding music, to put it bluntly: I don't know what circus music sounds like - as such, I'm useless when it comes to circus-related music)
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Jul 2015, 23:26

capricom45 {l Wrote}:I have to agree with Akien on this one: If I have something relevant to say, I'll say it.
The track looks awesome, but that's my own opinion.

It's a circus, right?

(Regarding music, to put it bluntly: I don't know what circus music sounds like - as such, I'm useless when it comes to circus-related music)

Most people associates circus and the military march composed by the czech musician Julius Fucik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 11 Jul 2015, 00:29

TCP AMARELO 01.png
Some art works. I don't know if they have utility for the game, but maybe they can be inserted as a banner, a painting on a truck, an advertising. I don't know...
Attachments
TCP AMARELO 03.png
TCP AMARELO 02.png
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 11 Jul 2015, 09:46, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 11 Jul 2015, 01:06

Sample:
Attachments
TCP mail truck.jpg
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 12 Jul 2015, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 11 Jul 2015, 01:15

Nice
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Akien » 11 Jul 2015, 10:58

Very cool, I like the version with TCP and the flying letter, it makes the pun easier to catch than "Transcontinental Post" IMO. But of course I know that "Transcontinental Post" is the official name from the STK universe, I just think that those play-on-words need to be made a bit clearer in some places so that more people can laugh with us :-P
Akien

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 11 Jul 2015, 21:21

Akien {l Wrote}:Very cool, I like the version with TCP and the flying letter, it makes the pun easier to catch than "Transcontinental Post" IMO. But of course I know that "Transcontinental Post" is the official name from the STK universe, I just think that those play-on-words need to be made a bit clearer in some places so that more people can laugh with us :-P

Thank you. Haha, for sure. :D
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 15 Jul 2015, 15:50

Usually I don't post my art work but, I publish the Space agency logo (so it's clear we don't need a new one). Don't worry Geekpenguin your XR mission will be used in the track :)
Attachments
ssao.jpg
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby capricom45 » 16 Jul 2015, 20:23

regarding the logo...
I think the slogan should be "Cupcakes into orbit!" instead of "Cupcakes into orbit !", but that's my own opinion
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45

Postby Akien » 16 Jul 2015, 20:26

capricom45 {l Wrote}:regarding the logo...
I think the slogan should be "Cupcakes into orbit!" instead of "Cupcakes into orbit !", but that's my own opinion

Yes that's a good point, typical French-speaker mistake ;)
Akien

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 17 Jul 2015, 00:34

samuncle {l Wrote}:Usually I don't post my art work but, I publish the Space agency logo (so it's clear we don't need a new one). Don't worry Geekpenguin your XR mission will be used in the track :)

SSAO.jpg
SSAO.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 13332 times
LOL... :lol:
Good! At least I don't need to worry about to create a new logo. :cool: I'm really curious to see where my patch can be inserted. :think:
GeekPenguinBR

Postby 0zone0ne » 17 Jul 2015, 08:06

I think it really should read "Organisation" and not just "Org", organisation is rarely ever shortened to org outside of internet addresses... and "Agency Organisation" doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, that could probably be improved
capricom45 is right about the exclamation mark, in English you never put a space between the exclamation mark and the last word.
0zone0ne

Postby XGhost » 21 Aug 2015, 16:08

@GeekPenguinBR
I will use your logos in my track "Road Works". Could you please provide me the final chosen images in high resolution of: TUXEL, Nolok industries, Canyon Junction Railway Corporation, Jerico Natural Park.
I also need to know which license is used (font?).
Thank you very much!
XGhost

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Aug 2015, 23:59

Hi, XGhost!

Here are the logos in png. Please, note that, except for the Canyon Junction logo, the other arts will not be used in the game by samuncle because he still will use just the words Nolok and Tuxel as logos. Jerico Park was uploaded by myself in different version. but he didn't chose one as official logo yet. Just tell which Tuxel logo you want and I will provide the file.
Attachments
logos and numbers.png
jerico park 01.png
CANYON.png
GeekPenguinBR

Postby XGhost » 22 Aug 2015, 00:57

Hey thanks, they look great! For TUXEL, I would choose number 8 (blue underline).
-> What font did you use and which license should I refer to?
I'm not quite sure how far we can go with free fonts. The font you used for Jerico Natural Park could be "Enter Sansman Bold" which is only free for personal use (1998 Digital Graphic Labs - All Rights Reserved). :|
XGhost

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 22 Aug 2015, 02:13

JERICO with Vipnagorgialla.png
JERICO with ASH.png
XGhost {l Wrote}:Hey thanks, they look great! For TUXEL, I would choose number 8 (blue underline).
-> What font did you use and which license should I refer to?
I'm not quite sure how far we can go with free fonts. The font you used for Jerico Natural Park could be "Enter Sansman Bold" which is only free for personal use (1998 Digital Graphic Labs - All Rights Reserved). :|

Hi,again!
No problem with the fonts. I just made two new logos using 100% free fonts - Vipnagorgialla, that's donationware but free and Ash, used in Canyon logo as well Tuxel too - and IMO, they look even better. For "Natural Park", I use cambria, but any font based on Times New Roman looks nice too.
Attachments
TUXEL.png
GeekPenguinBR

Postby XGhost » 25 Aug 2015, 16:52

I will use this thread rather than creating a new one...
For my upcoming track "Road Works" I'll need a construction company / organization. I think the name "TrenchMan" fits quite well.
Attachments
trenchman.png
trenchman_yellow.png
XGhost

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 30 Jun 2016, 01:58

Hi!

Has been a long time since this topic was updated, but I have done other experiences for STK. These ones are the most significant IMO. Look:
CHOCOLATE.jpg
A chocolate brand invented by myself.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 01 Jul 2016, 13:51

*Clicks imaginary "like" button*
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Arthur » 01 Jul 2016, 23:09

*Mouth starts watering* "Curse you, GeekPenguin!" *Drowns in own drool*
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 02 Jul 2016, 03:54

ArDanWol {l Wrote}:*Clicks imaginary "like" button*
:)
Arthur {l Wrote}:*Mouth starts watering* "Curse you, GeekPenguin!" *Drowns in own drool*
:lol: :lol:
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR