Concept art and logos: new updates.

Re: Concept art and logos: new updates.

Postby samuncle » 02 Jul 2016, 04:12

Hi I like the newspaper especially about the las dunas arena.

However you reference Mario kart and we can't allow that in the official version. It's one of the thingw we ban because the game is already similar to Mario kart
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 02 Jul 2016, 04:41

samuncle {l Wrote}:Hi I like the newspaper especially about the las dunas arena.
However you reference Mario kart and we can't allow that in the official version. It's one of the thingw we ban because the game is already similar to Mario kart

This can be easily changed.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby MTres19 » 02 Jul 2016, 05:02

I've been working with samuncle on some updates to the wiki. (You can see my work at https://github.com/MTres19/stk-docs.) With samuncle's approval, I might be able to help get some of these into the style page.
MTres19

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 02 Jul 2016, 05:31

MTres19 {l Wrote}:I've been working with samuncle on some updates to the wiki. (You can see my work at https://github.com/MTres19/stk-docs.) With samuncle's approval, I might be able to help get some of these into the style page.

Nice job! ;) Nice initiative, for sure. This will be a good help for new contributors.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 02 Jul 2016, 05:34

Parallel World Magazine
Attachments
PARALLEL WORLD MAGAZINE.png
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 02 Jul 2016, 05:38

The Crazy Planet :lol:
Attachments
THE CRAZY PLANET.jpg
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 02 Jul 2016, 05:40

Hercules, the Wegacom' flagship Graphic Card
Attachments
WEGACOM HERCULES.jpg
WEGACOM HERCULES.jpg (51.54 KiB) Viewed 12074 times
GeekPenguinBR

Postby MTres19 » 03 Aug 2016, 04:24

I'm afraid I shall have to dredge up this topic again, but it's important because there are something has to be done about it. I now have a wiki account, and things are finally coming together. Most of my work is linked to from the Art Portal page. The logos in particular can be found on the new Style page. I found quite a few logos in the media repository, but certainly not all of them are there.

@GeekPenguinBR, could you supply high-res versions of the logos for the following organizations? These are all the ones that, from what I can tell, are @samuncle-approved:

- Harvey & Weylyn
- Vaalbara
- Wegacom (possibly—I also made a logo, and I don't know which @samuncle prefers.)

I think your Dizzy World logo is great, but, alas, it very well could trigger a lawsuit. For Nolok Industries, I would take the "Gear Parts and Motors" logo, but replace the words "Gear Parts and Motors" with "Industries". Just my thoughts, though, not @samuncle-approved.

-----------------------------------------------------

@samuncle, I know you're probably busy, but would you have time to tell me if @GeekPenguinBR's work on the following logos could be accepted as official logos?

- Tuxel (The old logo was just bold, sans-serif italicized white text on a red background; nothing fancy.)
- Nolok Industries (Possibly with my above recommendations)
- Wegacom (Or my logo which I posted here)
- Jerico Natural Park

Also, I was noticing that not all of the logos that seem to be accepted are included in the media repo. Specifically,

- SSAO flag/ad
- Vaalbara (the industrial-looking version)
- Sunshine Cola

------------------------------------------------------

Thanks. (I hope I don't sound too demanding... :think: )

Last edited by MTres19 on 31 Aug 2016, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
MTres19

Postby Arthur » 03 Aug 2016, 11:21

MTres19 {l Wrote}:Thanks. (I hope I don't sound too demanding... :think: )

No worries, we have to be prodded sometimes to do things since it's easy to forget - and there's been vacation time as well, which tends to erase memories even faster. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 04 Aug 2016, 01:25

MTres19 {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR, could you supply high-res versions of the logos for the following organizations? These are all the ones that, from what I can tell, are @samuncle-approved:

- Harvey & Weylyn
- Vaalbara
- Wegacom (possibly—I also made a logo, and I don't know which @samuncle prefers.)

I may upload the files in hi-res, but I don't know if they will be useful for your purpose, since I have no more intention to release contributions under any license for the reasons explained in my topic 1750.
Sorry if this doesn't help you.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby leilei » 04 Aug 2016, 01:37

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Hercules, the Wegacom' flagship Graphic Card

I'd avoid "Hercules" as that's already an actual decades-known (and defunct) trademark/brand for computer hardware, most particularly for... video cards.
leilei

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 04 Aug 2016, 01:46

leilei {l Wrote}:I'd avoid "Hercules" as that's already an actual decades-known (and defunct) trademark/brand for computer hardware, most particularly for... video cards.

That was just a joke. I had no intention to use this in some part of my tracks or another person use it in the game. You may note that the drawing unfinished (actually, it's wrong for while, since the card is in perspective, but the metallic part where you find the USB devices, is not). I would finish if this had some potential use.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby MTres19 » 04 Aug 2016, 03:58

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I may upload the files in hi-res, but I don't know if they will be useful for your purpose, since I have no more intention to release contributions under any license for the reasons explained in my topic 1750.
Sorry if this doesn't help you.

*sigh*
I don't want to demand credit for my work on the wiki. If credit were so important to me, I suppose I would have to consider whether I really only cared about helping, or if I just wanted the honor...

Credit is all very well, of course. And it's necessary for legal reasons. But I see it as selfish to refuse to help because you didn't get it right away. I don't have a SourceForge account, so I can't help you there. However, I did create a pull request so that you and TuxKartDriver show up in in the credits in the game (I hope).
MTres19

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 04 Aug 2016, 23:44

MTres19 {l Wrote}:I don't want to demand credit for my work on the wiki. If credit were so important to me, I suppose I would have to consider whether I really only cared about helping, or if I just wanted the honor...

I also have no interest in seeking my own honor; which would be not only a lack of modesty, but also ridiculous, childish and stupid. I have also no interest to prove my authorship to whoever. The people who know me do not need to see our nicknames there, on the official website; people who do not know me, do not need to know who I am and they never could know who I am only seeing my nickname. So credits make no difference from this point of view. However, there is another point.

I wasted months doing a track, but I suspected that they wouldn't include it in the main game for any reason. They chose to insinuate that the track is boring. Since subjective perceptions and preferences are their problem, not mine, I didn't care about their decision even knowing that there are other tracks much more boring on the main game. Well, samuncle asked the objects and textures that my brother and I created for Las Dunas Stadium and I said I would release them only if the intention was not to replace my track creating another one based on it in order to exclude my own track (replacing it with another inspired by my own project), which should be a kind of mockery. He said "no", the goal should make an arena instead and common track. "No problem", I said. So, I uploaded the objects released under the license used by STK.

The new version was released, and as we already knew, our track was not in the main game, however, there was an arena inspired by my project and using my ideas, some textures and objects. Nice! I was proud to see. So I have gone to watch the official video. To be honest, would like this, but I did not expect that someone had written "arena inspired in the original project Las Dunas Stadium, by GeekpenguinBR", but I did not expect, also, to see the credits with names of many people who have nothing to do with the airship, the van, the TV cameras and textures of certain objects shown in the video. No problem, If I give an idea and my name is not mentioned since nobody mention another name instead of mine. I just do not admit having my name forgotten while the organizers give honor to another person. So if names of other collaborators may be included in the official video, my nickname should also, as the official video shows an arena based on my original idea. It made me regret for releasing my contris.

I thought that the goal of the game was not the personal promotion of A or B, but when the initial idea of ​​the project is mine (and I do not care if my name appears or not), but someone takes advantage of this and give honor and credit to third parties that have nothing to do with the art I have created, so it annoys me a lot and is considered a failure ethic. Lack of ethics in this case is betrayal of trust and no one betrays my trust a second time.

I've lost the will to contribute to the game. I had the renderings and text ready for the topic 1750 (the text I had structured a year ago); then I published them with two objectives: a) to show my main project; and b) to remember the problem with the lack of credits. The developers - except samuncle - gave no any attention and they pretended to ignored it. So I decided to no longer to give an official contribution. I do not know if I want to finish the tracks I made in 3D and are already textured, but if I finish them, I will publish them on a blog or some other place for anyone to download and install if he wants, but the track will not be added as add-on or released as an attempt to enter the main game.

It's not difficult to understand.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby MTres19 » 05 Aug 2016, 04:34

I apoligize, GeekPenguinBR. I didn't mean to diminish the fact that you deserve credit. But you also have to understand that accidents happen—I highly doubt that the team is somehow against you. The team forgot to add you as a contributor. Did you directly contact the team via email? Did you try to resolve the issue? I don't know if you did, but I know that forums are definitely not the best way to resolve urgent and important issues. Don't complain to me—you can see perfectly that a pull request is the closest I can come (though I did edit the "Team" page on the wiki for you too). Please, contact the team, and resolve this issue before it gets any worse.

It's disappointing. I know. The team doesn't deserve your work. But everyone gets things they don't deserve—it's how the world works. No doubt you, I, and everyone else has forgotten to give someone credit at some point. I think the team can be given another chance.
MTres19

Postby Arthur » 05 Aug 2016, 10:51

Yes, this was definitely an unfortunate happenstance. I can only speak personally, but I suspect the same reason might be for others: we expect the artist using "third-party" (in this case yours) contributions to credit properly themselves, since we'd have to spend time trying to figure out which objects and textures should be credited to you. samuncle as the one putting them in the game and having the oversight of what was his and what was yours should have credited properly, and in the meantime I hoped he'd see your legitimate complaints about it and fix it. However he's been very busy in his private life the last few months so I suspect he forgot about it (or maybe didn't even see it). In addition he and hiker has been out of their respective countries for several weeks and then haven't had the time to work on the game at all.

So yeah forgetfulness, vacations and hopes of it getting resolved by our resident artist made this situation worse than it should have been, and I apologize for not looking into it or reminding the rest of the team of this.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Arthur » 05 Aug 2016, 12:12

Actually, isn't the new arena a donator track so far? Then it might not make a whole lot of sense putting you in credits in the game yet, as long as the license file with the track properly attributes you. Though I do agree the trailer video should have done so since it's featured prominently in it.
Side note, I don't think I even have it myself and don't really know exactly how it's distributed to donators so I can't really verify the license file at the moment either.
Arthur

Postby MTres19 » 05 Aug 2016, 14:35

There are a few models of his in the media repository.
MTres19

Postby Arthur » 05 Aug 2016, 14:53

OK, then that makes the in-game credits more sensible as well, although I'd argue unless any of his objects is shipped with the core game only the license file really need to attribute. Not saying it to be difficult, and I don't really have anything against putting it in the credits already, since I assume it will become a part of the core game for the next release. And as demonstrated, the earlier these things are done the better for it not to fall by the wayside and be forgotten.
Arthur

Postby MTres19 » 05 Aug 2016, 15:33

Part of the problem is that actually none of the library nodes have a License.txt in their respective folders, from what I can tell.
MTres19

Postby samuncle » 06 Aug 2016, 16:17

Hi

Let me clarify a few things:

At first I wanted to do a release focused on steam greenlight however the lack of time especially from my side since I was preparing my wedding made the project unrealistic. So instead we decided to promote the arena mode made by benau and keep the steam promotion for the next release.
In roughly 2 weeks i worked day and night to finish the website, the arena and the trailer. Everything was done in rush mode to get it done for the release. I'm still busy now with my private life that's why I'm not yet able to answer to everyone.

And yes when you are in rush mode it's inevitable something can be missed and yes we must credit everyone who contributed to the game. That's very important for us and we don't have any interest to forget someone.

I wanted to precise something. The main concept of the arena was done by me, it's true I was inspired by your stadium and I also had to optimize some of your objects because yes they where too high poly for SuperTuxKart and yes you complained about it when I mentioned the issue on the forum.

Technically the arena has no objects since they are in the library and available for everyone (if they want to create a track). We must add your name in the credits.
Edit I just checked and thank you MTres19 for your commit:

I specifically designed an arena because i didn't want to replace your track. Ideally after a few changes and modifications your track can be included in the core game. I also released a few fictional posters of companies on OpenGameArt, where you are credited.

Thanks for your understanding

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 08 Aug 2016, 07:10

MTres19/Arthur,

Thanks for your interest and replies. A special thanks for your initiative MTres19, in creating a request on Github. However, I have a secondary interest in those aspects of credits on licenses, which are intended to be used for contributors. I understand perfectly the priority of the developers for their personal lives, of course, but my request - our nicknames credited on the official website - was not so complicated and, actually, it was already attended. :)

samuncle
I know and everybody knows that you created the arena. Your arena is totally different compared to my track. When I said "arena inspired in the original project Las Dunas Stadium, by GeekpenguinBR" I meant the idea of a track in a stadium with a blimp flying around, a TV truck, ramps with stars, a big tyre. I'm not saying your stadium, Driveline and the mechanics of your arena were created by me.

I know you are busy (me too, there is a certain event happening in my city ;) ), but, even if I'm not desperate to see my track - Las Dunas Stadium - on the main game (and I thought you didn't include it for not finding the track enough fun, aka "boring"), since you said " Ideally after a few changes and modifications your track can be included in the core game", I'm curious to know exactly which modifications should be considered necessary.
GeekPenguinBR