Track Editor

Track Editor

Postby elath » 14 Aug 2014, 10:45

Hi all!

SuperTuxKart Track Editor beta is released, you can find more information here.

Use this topic to ask questions, report bugs, or just write your opinion and your ideas about the editor.
elath

Re: Track Editor

Postby Totoplus62 » 14 Aug 2014, 11:49

Hi, I already have a problem: i selected a folder ("test") that I created and then ... nothing happen.

Edit: I think i made a mistake
Edit2: No, i did "The zip contains an editor directory. Move it to your stk data directory, which contains Textures, Tracks, etc. All you have to do then is running the exe." I tried again and the same problem happen.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby elath » 14 Aug 2014, 12:43

You should have something like this:

dir.png

Are you sure you selected the right folder? If the editor can't find the required directories, the dialog window won't disappear.
elath

Postby Totoplus62 » 14 Aug 2014, 13:14

Sorry, i found the problem, i made a mistake. Everything is fine now
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Totoplus62

Postby Totoplus62 » 14 Aug 2014, 14:12

Ok, i strictly followed your tutorial, here are my first observations:
The first time i opened the editor everything was fine.
Everything works fine until the "Try the track" part, when i click this button the game doesn't load (I selected the game’s executable). But if i open the game myself the track works.
When we open the editor the main window was white maybe there will be a simple loading screen in the future :) ?
When I try to open tracks that i saved the editor crash, so i can only create new tracks.

Then I think you should create a cancel button at some places for example "Create a new track":

We can't see the cancel button everywhere
You should make some windows be smaller and add a scrollbar instead.

That's all for now.
The editor is great !
Totoplus62

Postby elath » 14 Aug 2014, 15:13

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback!

The white screen should be replaced with a welcome screen, yes.

The loading issue was an accident. I fixed it, the repository is updated and the windows binary is replaced.

The try button, the wrong window size and the missing Cancel button is in the Todo list now, i'll do something with them in the next few days.

Edit: the wrong window size is solved too, i'm uploading it at the moment. The newest build will also contain a version number in the titlebar.
elath

Postby elath » 15 Aug 2014, 07:54

The Cancel button is done, uploading at the moment. (Same link should work soon).

The Try button works for me, i have no idea what the problem is. Do you have a console message, or something?
elath

Postby Totoplus62 » 16 Aug 2014, 00:12

elath {l Wrote}:The Cancel button is done, uploading at the moment. (Same link should work soon).

The Try button works for me, i have no idea what the problem is. Do you have a console message, or something?

How can I change the directory I chose first for the "Try the track!" button.
Before answering you I need to be sure i didn't choose the wrong directory :D .
Totoplus62

Postby elath » 16 Aug 2014, 09:58

You should choose an executable, not a directory.

There is a config.xml file in the C:\Users\UserName\.stk-te directory. You should remove / modify it.

Also, soon i'll relase a new editor version, which won't be able to open tracks made before :(
elath

Postby Tuxfan » 16 Aug 2014, 10:59

Hi elath!

I just tested your track editor on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and STK 0.8.1 .
After saving and exporting a track I hit the "try your track" button. Unfortunately STK does not load the track. Instead I see the following console log:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[error  ] main: Invalid parameter: --track=test.

(The track I created is named test.)

When launching STK separately and selecting the track manually, there was no problem.
As a next step I tried to start STK on the command line, specifying a track:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
supertuxkart --track test

Supertuxkart started without abortion, but only showed the main screen and did not load the track directly as I would have expected it. This indicates, that propably your track editor uses the worng arguments when launching STK.

I like the track editor so far. It might help new track designers to start learning how to make tracks. Due to the editor's limitations, they will eventually switch to blender for track editing, but have learned the basic concepts of track making
Tuxfan

Postby elath » 16 Aug 2014, 11:28

Hi!

Thanks!
I use stk from the repository, maybe that's the reason it works for me - the expected argument may changed. I'll talk with hiker about this.
elath

Postby jilbo » 16 Aug 2014, 16:22

Hi,

Is there already an option to beta test the editor on mac or is it just for linux and windows at this moment?
jilbo

Postby elath » 16 Aug 2014, 18:02

Hi!

I could not test it, but it should work on Mac as well. Unfortunately the only way to try it at the moment is to build it from source, like on linux.
Sorry for the inconvenience!
elath

Postby elath » 26 Feb 2015, 18:32

Hello everyone!

Anyone still there? : )

Unfortunately there was not much progress on the track editor in the last few months. I had two occasional jobs, some trouble with university and I also began an own project. (And I am lazy, and I also spend too much time on playing video games, especially if stress occurs.)
I planned a few improvements, but failed to implement them : (
I still don’t have too much free time and I would like to focus on my own project, but I also do not wish to leave the editor entirely. Maybe I will find time to do some work for you finally in the near future – the question is: what should I work on?
The list I wanted to do:
- lights – both global light settings and light sources
- brush tool to “draw” objects (with that it would be possible to place multiple objects quickly, randomly scattered around a defined area)
- well defined format for saving tracks – it is a little chaotic now, and backward compatibility would be really painful most likely
- alternative driveline path (for ai)
- built-in model and texture importer
- code refactoring
- normal video tutorial
- reorganize object library (it is terrible now, samuncle uses some buggy automatic generation to support the editor with files)

Which do you think the most important is? If you have any other idea, don’t keep it for yourself!

Also anyone with the intent to work on the editor is welcome. If it is the case I will give you whatever help I can.

Thanks, and sorry if you were disappointed in me,
Elath
elath

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 26 Feb 2015, 20:12

Hi, Elath!

IMO, the most important is:

1. lights – both global light settings and light sources;
2. brush tool to “draw” objects;
3. alternative driveline path;
4. built-in model and texture importer; and
5. reorganize object library.

Not all, of course, since you have not a lot of free time, but, maybe number 5 if you have to chose only one.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby elath » 26 Feb 2015, 20:28

Thanks for the reply.
Some kind of sequence is what I would like to determine. The question is not which to implement, but which to implement first ;)
elath

Postby Ludsky » 15 Sep 2016, 12:31

Possible to increase the size of the map, "Extra Large" is not very large :/
If one people have an idea ?
Ludsky

Postby Arthur » 15 Sep 2016, 16:40

I agree, Large feels like Medium to me.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby JAMESDINARDO » 14 Dec 2016, 10:42

when i click save it says
"save failed, file couldnt be created"

can someone help me

i am also not sure how to get that thing from the image i uploaded
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.51 KiB) Viewed 15364 times
JAMESDINARDO