New Track: City lights

Re: New Track: [Track in a city at night that is still unnam

Postby Auria » 25 Jul 2012, 23:39

leovilok {l Wrote}:What are the bad ones ? Is it GFDL ?

GFDL is not acceptable, as is Creative commons 2 (Creative Commons 3 is OK)

See the full list here : http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Lic ... icenses.3F

I am aware that this is annoying but there's little that we can do, that's how things are
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 26 Jul 2012, 01:36

Hi,

yes, the barriers make it a lot better. Only the last 90 degree left turn, which just as a blue arrow on the wall, might be easy to miss ... perhaps it's just me ;) I still have my problems with the narrow section (esp. when there are also bananas), but that's just my opinion.

tstrike {l Wrote}:Tried to load up the track and got:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
ERROR: no valid starting position for kart 0 on track changed.

I had no problems. What version of STK are you using, and what platform?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Arthur » 26 Jul 2012, 02:16

Maybe an incomplete download? Just a suggestion.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Tuxfan » 26 Jul 2012, 21:51

I created a video of this track in order to show the trembling bug at the beginning of the race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx_3ZNlX ... e=youtu.be

Or is this a special feature I didn't know so far ;)

In my opinion this track whith its sharp turnes and narrow paths is just fine - a new challenge. The signs that block the crossings in order to make human players to find the correct path do the job. But I would prefer arrows with the neon design david herrera suggested. They could fit better to the city theme. And if they are lager and probably even animated they would be easier to spot than the signs you are using now. If I'm honest I only could perform so well on this track since I've already tried it several times. I'm not sure if I would have spotted all arrow signs the right time - especially the one at about 1:18 in the video. This arrow can hardly be seen at the right sime since the player is driving uphill and so the direct vision is blocked until the very last second.
Last edited by Tuxfan on 26 Jul 2012, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tuxfan

Postby Arthur » 26 Jul 2012, 22:05

The whole video trembles, and is basically unwatchable. :(
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Wolfs » 27 Jul 2012, 09:58

leovilok {l Wrote}:Maybe you can find (extract actually :oops: , yes there is still some work) stuff here :
Licencies are good and quality is high-ranged ;)

Thanks for the links, I have already found some good pictures :). A lot of those panorama images would make good skyboxes, btw.

Auria {l Wrote}:GFDL is not acceptable, as is Creative commons 2 (Creative Commons 3 is OK)

Hmm, AFAIK CC BY-SA 2.0 allows licensing derivative works under CC BY-SA 3.0, which would be okay. So it should be possible to use any CC BY 2.0 and CC BY-SA 2.0 (or later) textures in a track that is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0, or am I wrong?

Tuxfan {l Wrote}:I created a video of this track in order to show the trembling bug at the beginning of the race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx_3ZNlX ... e=youtu.be

Or is this a special feature I didn't know so far ;)

Something like that sometimes happens when I play other tracks. Maybe it is a bug in the physics? I am also developing the track with the very latest SVN, perhaps this could be the reason why you get this problem.

Tuxfan {l Wrote}:In my opinion this track whith its sharp turnes and narrow paths is just fine - a new challenge. The signs that block the crossings in order to make human players to find the correct path do the job. But I would prefer arrows with the neon design david herrera suggested. They could fit better to the city theme. And if they are lager and probably even animated they would be easier to spot than the signs you are using now.

I agree, and I will change the arrows sooner or later. They were only meant as placeholders.

hiker {l Wrote}:yes, the barriers make it a lot better. Only the last 90 degree left turn, which just as a blue arrow on the wall, might be easy to miss ... perhaps it's just me ;)

No, it is indeed hard to see. I will have to think about how I can solve this.
Wolfs

Postby Auria » 28 Jul 2012, 01:07

Wolfs {l Wrote}:Hmm, AFAIK CC BY-SA 2.0 allows licensing derivative works under CC BY-SA 3.0, which would be okay. So it should be possible to use any CC BY 2.0 and CC BY-SA 2.0 (or later) textures in a track that is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0, or am I wrong?

Hmm I'm not a lawyer so I don't know :/ anyone can find the exact sentences in the license that say that?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Wolfs » 28 Jul 2012, 01:21

Auria {l Wrote}:
Wolfs {l Wrote}:Hmm, AFAIK CC BY-SA 2.0 allows licensing derivative works under CC BY-SA 3.0, which would be okay. So it should be possible to use any CC BY 2.0 and CC BY-SA 2.0 (or later) textures in a track that is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0, or am I wrong?

Hmm I'm not a lawyer so I don't know :/ anyone can find the exact sentences in the license that say that?

Unfortunately I am not a lawyer either :(. But section 4b (in http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/legalcode) says "You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license [...]".
A "Derivative Work" is defined as "a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License". This sounds like that a track that uses a texture under CC BY-SA 2.0 or a texture that has been extracted from a image licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 (which I often did for the textures in this track) would be a derivative work and thus can be licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.
And since you can license a work based on a work which is licensed under CC BY 2.0 under CC BY-SA 2.0, it should be in turn possible to license it also under CC BY-SA 3.0.
But like I said, I am no lawyer :(.
Wolfs

Postby Wolfs » 28 Jul 2012, 11:04

I just found the following in the Creative Commons FAQ (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequen ... _Questions):

Which Creative Commons ShareAlike license versions are compatible with each other?

Version 1.0 of the CC licenses containing the ShareAlike provision are not compatible with later versions of the ShareAlike licenses. If you wish to make an adaptation of a work licensed under BY-SA 1.0, for example, then the resulting adaptation must also be licensed under BY-SA 1.0.

All of the ShareAlike licenses starting from version 2.0 are compatible with future versions of the ShareAlike licenses. If you want to make an adaptation using a photograph that is licensed under a BY-SA 2.0 license, you can apply BY-SA 3.0 to the adaptation. The licenses are not backward compatible, however. You cannot create an adaptation of a work licensed under BY-SA 3.0 and license the derivative under BY-SA 2.0.

Visit the license versions page to compare the versions of the licenses on this point and others.

Doesn't this basically mean that all CC BY and CC BY-SA licenses are okay for SuperTuxKart if they are version 2.0 or later? This would be very good because for example on Flickr all open content is licensed under CC BY 2.0 or CC BY-SA 2.0, and Wikimedia Commons also contains lots of images licensed under these licenses.
Wolfs

Postby tstrike » 28 Jul 2012, 18:01

hiker {l Wrote}:Hi,

yes, the barriers make it a lot better. Only the last 90 degree left turn, which just as a blue arrow on the wall, might be easy to miss ... perhaps it's just me ;) I still have my problems with the narrow section (esp. when there are also bananas), but that's just my opinion.

tstrike {l Wrote}:Tried to load up the track and got:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
ERROR: no valid starting position for kart 0 on track changed.

I had no problems. What version of STK are you using, and what platform?

Cheers,
Joerg

STK 0.7.3
tstrike

Postby Auria » 28 Jul 2012, 18:12

Hmm then it sounds like it might be ok, as long as the original is sufficiently modified to be a 'derivative work' :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Wolfs » 28 Jul 2012, 18:52

Auria {l Wrote}:Hmm then it sounds like it might be ok, as long as the original is sufficiently modified to be a 'derivative work' :)

That's good :). I guess a tiny extracted part of a big picture which is deformed to make it tileable is different enough compared to the original picture.

david herrera {l Wrote}: this arrows are a example for use in side of the street

What about something like this:
screenshot.jpg

The arrows are animated and moving to the right. Should I upload the new version of the track again? I don't know if uploading 15 MB with every second post is such a good idea, it seems a waste of space :(.
Wolfs

Postby Auria » 28 Jul 2012, 19:24

Wolfs {l Wrote}:The arrows are animated and moving to the right. Should I upload the new version of the track again? I don't know if uploading 15 MB with every second post is such a good idea, it seems a waste of space :(.

what some people do is to delete the previous version each time a new one is available, this way it saves space but also makes sure everyone gets only the latest version
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby betharatux1 » 29 Jul 2012, 00:05

sign of arrow are animated or just .. glow ? ( if i guess, that sign animated ) whew ... now improve your unnamed track become better. :lol: i can't endure for saying "WoW"
yeah i will keep Stay Tuned, see ya ;)
"Just jumping and somersault on spring bed at mall, then great ideas come" Image
betharatux1

Postby Arthur » 29 Jul 2012, 00:39

Auria {l Wrote}:
Wolfs {l Wrote}:The arrows are animated and moving to the right. Should I upload the new version of the track again? I don't know if uploading 15 MB with every second post is such a good idea, it seems a waste of space :(.

what some people do is to delete the previous version each time a new one is available, this way it saves space but also makes sure everyone gets only the latest version

Also, if you already have a license file ready, there is nothing stopping you from uploading it on stkaddons.net. You can mark it as alpha, beta or release candidate and then only people with the Artist Debug Mode enabled will see it in-game, so you won't spoil anything for most users, while those who care can easily check it out and keep up to date.
Arthur

Postby charlie » 29 Jul 2012, 00:44

Just upload it to stkaddons.net as it is easier for others to play, including for those that don't check the forums.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby betharatux1 » 30 Jul 2012, 03:30

That why this forum useful for discuss something like not perfect track for become better, after got feedback from other people ... if directly upload in stkaddons.net that's mean too ... this track maybe will not improve anymore ... that just my opinion. :cool:
"Just jumping and somersault on spring bed at mall, then great ideas come" Image
betharatux1

Postby betharatux1 » 30 Jul 2012, 03:42

for a second by bit i agree with your idea ... but just waiting for a moment ...
i think good for make STK fans surprised for several times ... :)
betharatux1

Postby jpenguin » 08 Aug 2012, 20:13

About licenses, I thought 2.0 and 3.0 were acceptable, but I don't think 2.5 is
'
EDIT: Only 3.0
The debian wiki is full of indirmation
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses/

Most artist probly wouldn;t mind updating To CC-3.0, if they used 2.x
jpenguin

Postby Wolfs » 15 Aug 2012, 16:23

Arthur {l Wrote}:Also, if you already have a license file ready, there is nothing stopping you from uploading it on stkaddons.net. You can mark it as alpha, beta or release candidate and then only people with the Artist Debug Mode enabled will see it in-game, so you won't spoil anything for most users, while those who care can easily check it out and keep up to date.

Thanks, I didn't think of that ;). I will do this for future versions of the track.

jpenguin {l Wrote}:About licenses, I thought 2.0 and 3.0 were acceptable, but I don't think 2.5 is
'
EDIT: Only 3.0
The debian wiki is full of indirmation
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses/

Yes, I cannot add the original images to the source packages, because STK seems to follow the DFSG. But CC BY-SA licenses since version 2.0 seem to allow relicensing modifications under a later CC-BY-SA version, such as 3.0. For this track I am using countless high-res images of skylines etc.. From these images I extract (more or less unprofessionally ;)) pieces of a skyscraper and make them tileable if necessary. The result is a texture I use in the track and I can license this texture under CC BY-SA 3.0, because it is a modification of the original work.
Wolfs

Postby ctdabomb » 15 Aug 2012, 17:08

Arthur {l Wrote}:Also, if you already have a license file ready, there is nothing stopping you from uploading it on stkaddons.net. You can mark it as alpha, beta or release candidate and then only people with the Artist Debug Mode enabled will see it in-game, so you won't spoil anything for most users, while those who care can easily check it out and keep up to date.

woah! I never realized that before, I thought everyone saw them... this might be useful
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby STKRudy85 » 27 Aug 2012, 22:25

A promising track, good luck :)
STK fan
STKRudy85

Postby Wolfs » 01 Sep 2012, 19:05

STKRudy85 {l Wrote}:A promising track, good luck :)

Krobonil {l Wrote}:@Wolfs: Is there any genre you would like to have in your track?
Suggestions are welcome.

I'm thinking about something... JAZZY

No, there's no genre I would prefer. Feel free to do anything you like and thanks a lot for doing this work :).
Wolfs

Postby Bollen » 11 Oct 2012, 01:22

How about some bebop? Or free jazz?
Bollen

Postby Hero » 13 Oct 2012, 21:36

"City At Night". It sounds nice.
Keep your mouth closed while chewing your food! That's ALL I hear.

For more game forums go to opengameforums.zxq.net and register today!
Hero