New Track: City lights

Re: New Track: City lights

Postby rubberduck » 04 Jun 2013, 14:38

Krobonil {l Wrote}: After the bridge I always crash against the barriers. Could you make this passage a bit wider?

i had the same problems
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby Uni » 04 Jun 2013, 17:21

rubberduck {l Wrote}:
Krobonil {l Wrote}: After the bridge I always crash against the barriers. Could you make this passage a bit wider?

i had the same problems

Check, but I don't think that should be changed. A little challenge is appropriate.
Uni

Postby rubberduck » 04 Jun 2013, 19:09

but the ai have problems here too and the street after that could be a bit wider

and there are some too dark places
rubberduck

Postby Wolfs » 04 Jun 2013, 20:23

Krobonil {l Wrote}:Blue Moon City
Could be found in the attachment or here at Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/krobonil/blue-moon-city

It's a bit jazzy with 4 parts in it - 2 parts at beginning and in the middle are a bit calmer.
2 parts are louder and approximately appear at the 2 lines of the track. Hope you like it ^^
Just tell me about your suggestions :-)

Thanks a lot! I like it and have already added it to my local version of the track :). The only thing I need to know is under which license you release this music so that I can properly attribute you in the license.txt file.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:Would like to suggest some things:

- like rubberduck says: Try out some lights with some colors
- maybe the bridge and the tunnel (2 long lines) could show more colors ^^

I agree with you. However I could need some suggestions how I could make the tunnels (and also the brige) more interesting (tunnels usually aren't that interesting ;)).

Krobonil {l Wrote}:- After the bridge I always crash against the barriers. Could you make this passage a bit wider?

Tbh, I like it the way it currently is. There are two ways to get around it: First you can brake a bit and then skid around the curve, or second, if you want to take the risk, just skid at the right moment. You are then rewarded by a great speed advantage (if it succeeds) :).

Krobonil {l Wrote}:- And after the tunnel I turned right sometimes, because the sign can't always been seen so good

Thanks for your feedback, I will improve this.

rubberduck {l Wrote}:but the ai have problems here too and the street after that could be a bit wider

and there are some too dark places

I have opened this ticket some time ago. The terrain is not final, I am currently planning to add docks and a tram. Where exactly do you think the track is too dark?

I am also hoping that in a distant future STK will support water with reflections (so that the river looks good) and normal mapping that is using the light objects of the track (not a light mounted onto the player's kart), which would make the concrete of the tunnels look much more interesting.

jpenguin {l Wrote}:Well, this track didm't work at all with 0.7.3, but it works fine with 0.8.0 on both my computers

ATI Radeon HD 4670
GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Well, I am developing the track always on current SVN, so this does not surprise me. I am glad that it works for you now :). (And I have unfortunately no access to the "Compatible With" entry on stkaddons :().
Wolfs

Postby sj04736 » 05 Jun 2013, 02:44

Wolfs {l Wrote}:(And I have unfortunately no access to the "Compatible With" entry on stkaddons :().

Right now, this is populated using the track format number. The text reflects the versions of the game which will see your addon in their addons manager. This version number hasn't changed since 0.7.0 so it isn't a very effective identifier though. If you think a manual override for the website would be useful, it can be added, but it won't affect older versions being able to download your track.
Stephen
Role: STK-Addons Developer

sj04736

Postby rubberduck » 05 Jun 2013, 10:33

some more ideas:

add different kind of light:
like this:
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/64302

lamps on the wall or colored lamps lighting bushes or trees
rubberduck

Postby rubberduck » 07 Jun 2013, 10:53

add a "gate" to start and end of the tunnel, if it fits into the track
like the inner arch from http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/54767
rubberduck

Postby Auria » 08 Jun 2013, 21:24

sj04736 {l Wrote}:
Wolfs {l Wrote}:(And I have unfortunately no access to the "Compatible With" entry on stkaddons :().

Right now, this is populated using the track format number. The text reflects the versions of the game which will see your addon in their addons manager. This version number hasn't changed since 0.7.0 so it isn't a very effective identifier though. If you think a manual override for the website would be useful, it can be added, but it won't affect older versions being able to download your track.

Maybe we should start using a smarter system; instead of the format being an integer, what about it being a float? For instance, track formats could be 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, then 3.0, 3.1, etc. A specific version of STK would be required to read all tracks with the same major number, but would not read tracks with a high number (be it minor or minor). I think this might work, though could be quite a bit of work so not sure it's worth it
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby sj04736 » 10 Jun 2013, 01:37

Auria {l Wrote}:
sj04736 {l Wrote}:Maybe we should start using a smarter system; instead of the format being an integer, what about it being a float?

This isn't necessary. We just need to be careful about making new releases with a supported version number of one greater than whatever the latest exporter or previous release was at. We already have a range to use - we should take advantage in such a way we can avoid releasing new content to old and untested releases, and boost the exporter version when we do something that breaks an old release. (We won't delete old versions of addons with different compatible versions).

This isn't the place to discuss it though, I don't want to hijack this thread more, maybe it should be on IRC or split into a different topic.

Thanks
Stephen
Role: STK-Addons Developer

sj04736

Postby Ludsky » 18 Aug 2013, 12:09

This track it advance ?
Ludsky

Postby 0zone0ne » 19 Aug 2013, 05:35

Krobonil {l Wrote}:Hi ^^A little update to the tracks music. (Some improvements in volume) "^^

I like it. I like it a lot, but I couldn't help but notice something slightly strange about it... It's like it needs more momentum, or a slightly thicker texture... There's just this odd feeling like something's missing. Maybe try adding more bass? I can't really hear any distinctive bass instrument, so that may be what my problem is with it...

...Sorry if I sound incredibly pedantic... :p
0zone0ne

Postby Wolfs » 29 Aug 2013, 20:30

Krobonil {l Wrote}:A little update to the tracks music. (Some improvements in volume) "^^

Thanks for all your effort, I will add it to the track :).

Krobonil {l Wrote}:And I've trained in STK!
...But I'm still crashing against the carriers after the curve :(
Wolfs: Could you please make this area easier to solve?
>< Please - I'm still a noob in driving, give me a chance by making it easier

Hmm - I'm still not convinced that this is necessary, but I will try think of a solution.

A small update to the progress: A little bit has been done, but unfortunately not a lot. I have added a small factory and some road signs to make the city look a bit more alive, and I have "planted" several trees. Plus, I am currently following charlie's advice and adding some distant skyscrapers; and I am trying to unify the texture colors a bit to make the city look more real (not really what STK aims to be, I know :)).
Wolfs

Postby NeonKnightOA » 05 Dec 2013, 04:42

Whoa! It's really a BIG city!

Such tracks are very hard to get right without the accidental shortcuts!
With this said, there's a lot of work to be done in your track, so here's my feedback. I hope you find it useful:

First, mark the starting/finishing line. This should be a mandatory rule for every track in every racing game. The simple square pattern should be enough.

The first alternate route should be marked and illuminated as such. Additionally, places where the player isn't supposed to go should be blocked somehow.

This alternate route cannot be taken in Reverse mode because of this:

You've interrupted the route in the main street, which is okay, but what about opening the corner, so it looks more... "natural"?

Here's a glitch, but there are other problems with this part, especially in Reverse Mode. More to it, later.

In this part, players aren't supposed to turn to the right, isn't it? And in Reverse Mode, they also aren't supposed to continue the straight path, isn't it? This road must be blocked.

Now to the three-part bifurcation. In Reverse Mode, players should also be sure of what road they must take. This part is not a problem, except in Reverse mode. Mark it with some kind of arrow or signal.

Since players aren't supposed to continue straight, but to turn to the left, this path o the main street should be blocked the same way the other extreme is.

Near the finishing line in Reverse Mode. This street is supposed to be blocked, so players can only steer to the left, isn't it?

Most of these problems can be solved by enclosing the circuitable (?) area. Maybe taking some inspiration from real-life street circuits might be useful? There's a reason why a lot of them, such as the Circuit de Monaco in F1, enclose their streets the competition days... Here're some other videos about street circuits which may be useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGqpIdVZxk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DzOR9D7aFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfFFL-TxqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BGgo0MwU4

"Practice good sportsmanship. You were a n00b once, too." - UT3 advice
"The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000." - Fast Eddie
"The ones who speak loudest, are usually the least productive" - Skillz, UTFiles admin
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
NeonKnightOA

Postby QwertyChouskie » 11 Jun 2018, 23:25

Wolfs, do you have the latest blend of this track? There are some major issues with this track in 0.9.3 (see https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7863) and I'd like to fix them.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 22 Jan 2019, 04:39

I asked Wolfs during an online race if he still had the blend and he said he didn't. If we want to get this working in modern STK we'll have to convert the exported track back into a blend. cddepppp256 have you done any work on this recently?

On another note, the spirit of the track will live on in Core City, one of Samuncle's new tracks :)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby Andet » 22 Jan 2019, 06:23

QwertyChouskie, did you try the track on 0.10.0? It seems to be fixed as far as I can tell. :)
Andet

Postby Wolfs » 22 Jan 2019, 10:35

QwertyChouskie, I was searching some old backup disks tonight and I actually found the source folder of city lights, including the blender file. The blend is, however, pretty much messed up since I appear to have been redesigning parts of the track. I'll try to sort it out.
Wolfs

Postby QwertyChouskie » 22 Jan 2019, 19:33

Cool, thanks! I'd love to see this updated for the new rendering engine :)
QwertyChouskie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 22 Jan 2019, 19:45

Con confirm it is less broken in 0.10, but the lightmaps now don't show up. A proper re-export would be great.
QwertyChouskie

Postby Ludsky » 22 Jan 2019, 20:59

I love this track, it' will be gret to playing her with STK 0.10
Ludsky

Postby cddepppp256 » 23 Jan 2019, 04:16

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:cddepppp256 have you done any work on this recently?

Ok, so I am a *bit* lazy... but can you see https://online.supertuxkart.net/bugs/?bug_id=16 and its comments?
cddepppp256

Postby QwertyChouskie » 01 Oct 2020, 03:36

Sadly, it seems this thread has stagnated. I'd still be happy to help get City Lights in tip-top shape under the new engine, if I could get a blend, whether the original or a reconstructed one.
QwertyChouskie

Postby Wolfs » 28 Mar 2021, 10:15

Hello, please excuse this long delay. I've uploaded most of the track to https://workupload.com/file/Dwh3K3rehBt
It is in a rather messed up state and I can no longer figure out how I created the lightmaps.
Wolfs

Postby tempAnon093 » 29 Mar 2021, 13:45

Wolfs {l Wrote}:Hello, please excuse this long delay. I've uploaded most of the track to https://workupload.com/file/Dwh3K3rehBt
It is in a rather messed up state and I can no longer figure out how I created the lightmaps.

Thanks for this! I love the track despite the issues there were putting it into the newest STK versions.
Is anyone planning on porting it to the new version? If no-one else responds by the end of the week, I can try to upgrade it.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby QwertyChouskie » 29 Mar 2021, 21:08

Go for it, I'd love to see it fully updated. As a quick reference for the lighting settings, in my copy of the current version available from addons I put the following lines in the scene.xml:

<lightshaft xyz="296.24 473.55 -696.37" id="Sun.001" opacity="0.20" color="65 182 255"/>
<sun fog="true" fog-color="1 6 10" fog-max="0.5" fog-start="5.00" fog-end="150.00" xyz="296.24 473.55 -696.37" sun-diffuse="24 53 150" ambient="50 50 50"/>

It makes track look a lot nicer (it actually looks like it's night).
QwertyChouskie