New Track: City lights

New Track: City lights

Postby Wolfs » 22 Jul 2012, 01:06

Hi all!

I'am currently creating a new track in which you can drive in a city at night. It's a work in progress, but it can be played. It would be great to get comments about the road, textures, models, length and so on :). Please note that since it is not finished lots of buildings next to the road are simple cubes with a texture on them, but this will change ;).

BTW, there seem to be no textures for buildings at night that are under an acceptable license. Thus most of the textures have been created by myself and they don't look that good ;). Does anybody know where I can find some good building-at-night textures that are licensed under CC-BY-SA or something like that?
Attachments
unnamed-track.zip
(12.93 MiB) Downloaded 657 times
Last edited by Wolfs on 07 Dec 2012, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfs

Re: New Track: [Track in a city at night that is still unnam

Postby betharatux1 » 22 Jul 2012, 06:23

hm ... links looks alive, but after 5 second or ? when i try download it, process is failed.
"Just jumping and somersault on spring bed at mall, then great ideas come" Image
betharatux1

Postby Wolfs » 22 Jul 2012, 13:28

betharatux1 {l Wrote}:hm ... links looks alive, but after 5 second or ? when i try download it, process is failed.

This is strange, the link works flawlessly for me :|.
Wolfs

Postby Ludsky » 22 Jul 2012, 16:32

This Track Bug. She trembles a lot
Ludsky

Postby Binky » 22 Jul 2012, 18:39

Perhaps make the traffic lights double-sided so players can tell which way to go?

"Silent City" would be a good name
OpenPandora obsessive - You do want a pocket sized Linux PC with gaming controls, don't you?
Full root access out of the box - Full qwerty keyboard - Full battery lasts 15 hours of real work!
Binky

Postby Wolfs » 22 Jul 2012, 18:50

Binky {l Wrote}:Perhaps make the traffic lights double-sided so players can tell which way to go?

Thanks for your feedback! I'm still figuring out how I can indicate the way better, for example by creating traffic signs and adding traffic cones that lead the way. The more different possibilities, the better :).
Wolfs

Postby Tuxfan » 22 Jul 2012, 18:53

This track looks already awesome. Nice skybox.
But: I have trouble to find my way through the city. So please add more hints that show the player the way. Turning the wrong way just feels :x

@ other Testers: Do you think the track is too dark? That was my first impression.
Tuxfan

Postby Wolfs » 22 Jul 2012, 19:21

Tuxfan {l Wrote}:@ other Testers: Do you think the track is too dark? That was my first impression.

Feedback on this would be indeed good because I have only one screen to test the track.
Tuxfan {l Wrote}:But: I have trouble to find my way through the city. So please add more hints that show the player the way. Turning the wrong way just feels :x

Don't worry, I will add hints for the correct way :).
Wolfs

Postby Binky » 22 Jul 2012, 20:25

I agree that is too dark.
The drop down after the bridge was very hard to find.
The signs in the industry track are good, though - maybe something like that?
Some interesting objects in the wiggly bit of the track would be good
OpenPandora obsessive - You do want a pocket sized Linux PC with gaming controls, don't you?
Full root access out of the box - Full qwerty keyboard - Full battery lasts 15 hours of real work!
Binky

Postby Wolfs » 22 Jul 2012, 20:53

Binky {l Wrote}:The drop down after the bridge was very hard to find.

I will add some traffic cones there that lead the way out of the highway. I am also thinking about adding a slow-down texture because you are IMO too fast to drive the curve correctly.
Wolfs

Postby Wolfs » 23 Jul 2012, 18:02

Ludsky {l Wrote}:This Track Bug. She trembles a lot

Hm, what do you exactly mean? Does your kart tremble?
Wolfs

Postby Binky » 23 Jul 2012, 18:26

Near the start/lap/finish line the physics seems confused - karts wobble and bump around even when stationary
Binky

Postby hiker » 24 Jul 2012, 00:28

Wolfs {l Wrote}:
Binky {l Wrote}:The drop down after the bridge was very hard to find.

I will add some traffic cones there that lead the way out of the highway. I am also thinking about adding a slow-down texture because you are IMO too fast to drive the curve correctly.

The track does indeed look good, but I found it nearly impossible to see where you are supposed to drive. Not only would this need arrows (on the road, or better side of the street), but the 'dead ends' need to be blocked. I found myself way off track, which I only realised when I looked at the minimap :p Traffic cones are not the right item to block the incorrect paths: in most (all?) tracks they can be pushed around, so to the player this would indicate that they can still drive that way.

I would suggest to either remove the dead ends completely (just put a building there ;) ), or block them with something else: e.g. park a car there, a row of bushes, a fence, a statue, ...

Re slowdown texture: yes, the 90 degree curves are difficult to take correctly. Instead of a slow down texture I'd say to make the roads (a lot?) wider - think of a plaza or so? This way even if you don't know the road, you have enough time to turn, but if you know the way, you can take a more narrow curve (and/or start skidding which we will have in 0.8).

The narrow path (with the lantern) looks more like a shortcut to me (since it's more difficult to drive, less forgiving to driving errors), not like the main path on which karts should drive - since it's very difficult to find where to get on it, I'd actually say this would be an ideal hidden shortcut ;) At least this part of the road should be wider if it's supposed to be driven normally since it's more or less impossible to overtake a kart there, which makes it more boring (though difficult to drive on the other hand) - but admittedly I am generally not a friend of narrow roads, other might disagree with that ;) .

Of course, a feature suggestion: what about some traffic on the road, i.e. (IPO) animated cars that might drive around the city, which needs to be dodged by the karts ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Binky » 24 Jul 2012, 13:36

I think using the wiggly part as a short-cut would be good - the main route corresponding to it could be a busy area with neon lights, and parked taxis that you have to dodge, especially if they have been bumped by other karts
Binky

Postby Wolfs » 24 Jul 2012, 22:42

hiker {l Wrote}:The track does indeed look good, but I found it nearly impossible to see where you are supposed to drive. Not only would this need arrows (on the road, or better side of the street), but the 'dead ends' need to be blocked. I found myself way off track, which I only realised when I looked at the minimap :p Traffic cones are not the right item to block the incorrect paths: in most (all?) tracks they can be pushed around, so to the player this would indicate that they can still drive that way.

I would suggest to either remove the dead ends completely (just put a building there ;) ), or block them with something else: e.g. park a car there, a row of bushes, a fence, a statue, ...

I agree, the way is indeed rather impossible to find if you are new to the track :). I want to remove the crossing only if it is absolutely necessary, because IMO a city has to have a lot of them :). So I have been experimenting with road barriers for several hours and I'd like your opinion on this since I know the track by far too well to put myself into the position of someone who is new to the track ;). Would something like this be enough to see where the way leads to?
screenshot1.jpg

hiker {l Wrote}:The narrow path (with the lantern) looks more like a shortcut to me (since it's more difficult to drive, less forgiving to driving errors), not like the main path on which karts should drive - since it's very difficult to find where to get on it, I'd actually say this would be an ideal hidden shortcut ;) At least this part of the road should be wider if it's supposed to be driven normally since it's more or less impossible to overtake a kart there, which makes it more boring (though difficult to drive on the other hand) - but admittedly I am generally not a friend of narrow roads, other might disagree with that ;)

Hmm ... I intend the track to be rather challenging to drive and I like narrow roads where I have to battle for better ranks ;). But of course it should be visible where you have to drive next, so would some arrangement like this one be enough to see it? I also added a "SLOW" texture to the highway short before this turn, because I have the impression that all those zippers make you simply too fast to get the turn right, even if you know where it is.
screenshot2.jpg
Wolfs

Postby Wolfs » 24 Jul 2012, 22:44

Binky {l Wrote}:Near the start/lap/finish line the physics seems confused - karts wobble and bump around even when stationary

That's weird :?. I cannot reproduce this error. Could you provide a short video that shows me this issue? On my computer the kart drives absolutely smooth.
Wolfs

Postby david herrera » 24 Jul 2012, 23:32

congratulations, this track have a wonderful effects !!!!!

this arrows are a example for use in side of the street
texture.jpg
texture.jpg (4.2 KiB) Viewed 18278 times

good luck¡¡ :)
I'm here again!, My english is ok::: I should work on it more :)
david herrera

Postby ctdabomb » 24 Jul 2012, 23:34

Wolfs {l Wrote}:Would something like this be enough to see where the way leads to?

sure, that should be fine
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby hiker » 25 Jul 2012, 00:10

Hi,

could you just post a new version of the track (of perhaps only with the files that were changed/added)? It's hard to judge it without actually driving.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Wolfs » 25 Jul 2012, 00:44

hiker {l Wrote}:could you just post a new version of the track (of perhaps only with the files that were changed/added)? It's hard to judge it without actually driving.

Sure. These should be the files that have changed.
Attachments
changed.tar.gz
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 432 times
Wolfs

Postby Binky » 25 Jul 2012, 11:48

Wolfs {l Wrote}:
Binky {l Wrote}:Near the start/lap/finish line the physics seems confused - karts wobble and bump around even when stationary

That's weird :?. I cannot reproduce this error. Could you provide a short video that shows me this issue? On my computer the kart drives absolutely smooth.

Does this work:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/166/s63x.mp4

It should be an ogv file
Last edited by Binky on 25 Jul 2012, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Binky

Postby leovilok » 25 Jul 2012, 14:08

BTW, there seem to be no textures for buildings at night that are under an acceptable license. Thus most of the textures have been created by myself and they don't look that good ;). Does anybody know where I can find some good building-at-night textures that are licensed under CC-BY-SA or something like that?

Maybe you can find (extract actually :oops: , yes there is still some work) stuff here :
Licencies are good and quality is high-ranged ;)
leovilok

Postby ctdabomb » 25 Jul 2012, 14:34

leovilok {l Wrote}:Licencies are good

most licenses are good. you will have to check each picture.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby leovilok » 25 Jul 2012, 14:40

What are the bad ones ? Is it GFDL ?
leovilok

Postby tstrike » 25 Jul 2012, 21:40

Tried to load up the track and got:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
ERROR: no valid starting position for kart 0 on track changed.
tstrike