better Shifting Sands track

Re: better Shifting Sands track

Postby Ludsky » 03 Jul 2012, 09:49

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:yes, but which package?

This Package >>
Attachments
sandtrack.tar.gz
(4.31 MiB) Downloaded 289 times
Ludsky

Postby ctdabomb » 13 Aug 2012, 18:29

here is another update, I don't quite remember how much I updated but I am pretty sure that it is a lot. I added splash to the water, improved the water, improved the waterfall, added more trees and worked on the small tunnel.....
Attachments
sandtrack.7z
(3.59 MiB) Downloaded 339 times
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby TheK79 » 14 Aug 2012, 14:44

Could you give the track a slightly different name in a future version, maybe just some "new sandtrack"? Woth the folder named "sandtrack" it doesn't even load, as the preinstalled one get's preferred ;)
TheK79

Postby RaceAce » 14 Aug 2012, 16:52

TheK79 {l Wrote}:Could you give the track a slightly different name in a future version, maybe just some "new sandtrack"? Woth the folder named "sandtrack" it doesn't even load, as the preinstalled one get's preferred ;)

Just rename it sandtrack_2 or something like that. It worked for me.
Bananas are yummy
RaceAce

Postby RaceAce » 14 Aug 2012, 18:15

Here are my suggestions.

1. The AI always hit the two bananas in the middle right after the bridge. See attached picture with possible change.

2. The right side of the broad curve beyond the bridge looks funny, the backdrop looks like mountains. Maybe move the backdrop further away? Also, the space looks empty. See attached picture. Maybe add a building (the one on the left just beyond the big pyramid exit?) and some palm trees?

3. The small pyramid way needs some objects, like 3-5 small nitro and maybe a gift box?

4. Possibly add another camel where the track splits?

Other than that I think it's a good track.
Attachments
sandtrack 002.jpg
Bananas are yummy
RaceAce

Postby RaceAce » 23 Aug 2012, 15:07

Oh, and it would be really nice if you could fix the driveline going into the small pyramid, so the AI wouldn't fall off/crash all the time.
Bananas are yummy
RaceAce

Postby ctdabomb » 21 Oct 2012, 22:35

I added a poll to this thread asking two questions: 1:Should the additional path be removed? 2:Should the bridge or camel be changed?
Those are the main things holding this track back and I need to know what others think. here are my opinions:

The additional path should be removed. it is just sorta clunky and awkward.

for the camel i am fine with any option, but if we fix the animation someone else would have to do it. I tried, but I am not an animator ;)
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 27 Oct 2012, 16:22

Auria, Hiker, and Samuncle: it would be nice to hear your opinions as you get to make any final decisions. right now it seems as if people want me to keep the additional path(i will remodel it) and fix the camel animation which I can't do by myself. another option would be to just have to camel standing their not moving at all.
ctdabomb

Postby Auria » 28 Oct 2012, 00:01

Two ways is nice but if you don't have the time to complete the second way then it may be better to delay it

regarding the camel, sorry I dont have time to help fixing it myself
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 29 Oct 2012, 22:26

Here is a new version with a fixed and better alternative path and a flat bridge to fix the camel problem. this is a bad fix but It is the best I can do for now.
Attachments
sandtrack.zip
(4.05 MiB) Downloaded 291 times
ctdabomb

Postby Auria » 30 Oct 2012, 23:05

This track is very good but I'm afraid there are still major problems preventing inclusion :/ Namely the camel that walks without moving in the middle of the road, his legs under the track. And also the inside of the pyramid is not too pretty. I would perhaps fix them myself but I'm not sure depending on my time. Maybe after the beta
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 31 Oct 2012, 20:06

is there a good guesstimate now for when 0.8 will actually be released? or how long do I have till I miss the "Deadline"?
for now(until we have someone to animate it better) I will remove the camel and just have it standing off to the side somewhere?
I think I plan to redo the inside of the pyramid on Saturday(I should be around all day then(and hope to get this finished)) but right now it looks basically the same as in .7.3. are you saying that the changes I made are ugly? or that It needs to improve along with the rest of the track?
ctdabomb

Postby Auria » 31 Oct 2012, 23:26

In my opinion the inside of the pyramid was better in the previous track, since there the inside was made of bricks (now it's some kind of repetitive plaster texture I wouldn't expect to find in there?). Also the shape of the tunnel is imperfect, I can very clearly spot the polygons (in the previous version, the inside of the pyramid was smoother)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 03 Nov 2012, 19:17

Here is a new version. I changed it so that:
the camel is not moving any more and standing still of to the side of the track.
new screenshot
changed the pyramid so that it is like .7.3
Attachments
sandtrack.zip
(4.14 MiB) Downloaded 287 times
ctdabomb

Postby Ludsky » 04 Nov 2012, 10:21

It's very Good Improvments, Congratulations, for me is good, just one correction >> see picture

after, wait the decision of Auria, Hiker or Samuncle.....
Attachments
STK Sand.PNG
Ludsky

Postby ctdabomb » 05 Nov 2012, 22:00

Hi all here is YET ANOTHER version.
changes:
*new skybox
*fix camel export problem
*removed old stuff from inside the pyramid
*changed around the bananas a bit
*fixed the license
Attachments
sandtrack.zip
(4.91 MiB) Downloaded 298 times
ctdabomb

Postby Hero » 05 Nov 2012, 22:28

Excellent job!

One thing. The inside of the second pyramid is too dark. If both pyramids were the same it would be much nicer.
Keep your mouth closed while chewing your food! That's ALL I hear.

For more game forums go to opengameforums.zxq.net and register today!
Hero

Postby Jooost » 06 Nov 2012, 00:00

it's still quite hard to drive unharmed past the bananas at the road the the small pyramid!
Jooost

Postby ctdabomb » 06 Nov 2012, 02:34

ah, you meant those bananas, I thought you meant the other set.
ctdabomb

Postby Auria » 06 Nov 2012, 03:10

thanks a lot! :) I have just added this track to supertuxkart. congratulations
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Jooost » 06 Nov 2012, 08:17

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:ah, you meant those bananas, I thought you meant the other set.

I meant both really :) apart from that I think this track really turned out great!
Jooost

Postby Ludsky » 06 Nov 2012, 10:15

Auria {l Wrote}:thanks a lot! :) I have just added this track to supertuxkart. congratulations

It's very good, It's for 0.8 ?

Congratulations ctdabomb !!!!
Ludsky

Postby Arthur » 06 Nov 2012, 10:18

Yep, 0.8. Only downside is that we have to adjust its challenges, but for an improvement like this it's well worth it. Thanks a lot ctdabomb. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Ludsky » 06 Nov 2012, 10:33

Super, it's very good :)
Ludsky

Postby samuncle » 06 Nov 2012, 10:41

Congratulation ctdabomb :)

The track looks good. You can add a particle emitter next to the waterfall. I have also found a little bug in the palm tree, but maybe it's my netbook.

For the camel I know it's difficult to make a good animation. But I think I would be perfect with our new feature "knock the player".
samuncle
STK Moderator