Track and kart Ideas

Re: Track and kart Ideas

Postby Nickerson Romero » 22 Nov 2019, 14:48

a question why pets why the eye does not blink tux does not blink seems strange
Nickerson Romero

Postby Wuzzy » 22 Nov 2019, 16:56

I don't know if it was posted before but here's a track idea:

Clean up the Lost Chasm track and add it to official.

IMO Lost Chasm is currently the best add-on track.
Wuzzy

Postby Typhon » 30 Nov 2019, 10:41

Almost done...
Attachments
Preview2.png
Preview.png
Typhon

Postby Ludsky » 02 Dec 2019, 19:56

I Love <3 , when we can play with this ?
Ludsky

Postby Typhon » 31 Dec 2019, 12:29

When I'm finished with Animation and Texture
Typhon

Postby Ludsky » 02 Jan 2020, 12:38

Typhon {l Wrote}:When I'm finished with Animation and Texture

I'm so excited to play this kart ^^
Ludsky

Postby fdroidiordf » 16 Jan 2020, 15:44

Some kind of educational track would be good:
There could be a track with a lot of intersection. At each intersection, there is a per-round generated math exercise and some possible solutions on signs above the possible tracks.
The tracks that have the wrong answer are blocked by invisible walls, so if you take the wrong answer, you get stopped. If a player before you get stopped, its a kind of a hint, because you know that one answer is wrong. Of course, the tracks that are blocked are changing at each round, so you can't simply learn by heart that tracks are valid and that are not.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
         ----------------------------
       /          64                 \
      /           ----------          \
------            56                   --------
    7*8           ----------
------            49                   --------
      \           ----------          /
       \          52                 /
        -----------------------------

One possible variant for such an intersection - in ascii-art ;-)
fdroidiordf

Postby kimden » 16 Jan 2020, 16:25

Lol we already have teamwork addon! except for the fact that questions are not random, for that you need scripting and it's not really common for the tracks now.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 16 Jan 2020, 22:52

fdroidiordf {l Wrote}:Some kind of educational track would be good:
There could be a track with a lot of intersection. At each intersection, there is a per-round generated math exercise and some possible solutions on signs above the possible tracks.
The tracks that have the wrong answer are blocked by invisible walls, so if you take the wrong answer, you get stopped. If a player before you get stopped, its a kind of a hint, because you know that one answer is wrong. Of course, the tracks that are blocked are changing at each round, so you can't simply learn by heart that tracks are valid and that are not.

I like this idea. It can certainly be done!
I think that another possible way to do it is to have the possible tracks as doors which you can't see through, but can drive through. The incorrect routes force you into banana peels, while the correct route spawns a bridge over the top. Like this:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
(incorrect route, side view)

____       g  ____-->
    \______b_/

(correct route, side view)

____       g  ____-->
    \TTTTTTbT/

In this version, you still get to race it like a track if you choose badly. Therefore you only get hints based on what other people choose. If I had a bubblegum to protect myself, I could bait you into the wrong door ;)

From a scripting point of view, it isn't too hard. I just checked and for displaying the possible solutions, I can see if the createTextBillboard() feature works (I've never tried it), and for displaying the questions, that can be done with the GUI text feature (the same as the countdown at the start, or the 'WRONG WAY!' text without the flashing).
Questions can be formed by choosing random numbers within a range (e.g. use the random item seed to pick two numbers between 0 and 12 and then pick an operator from a list), possible answers can be a variation of the real answer (e.g. if question is 9 * 8, a possible answer can be 9 *7)

I didn't expose the difficulty (Novice, Intermediate, Expert, SuperTux) to scripting, otherwise we could use it to change the question difficulty! Maybe in the next version...

I'm busy for a while, but I can try and make a prototype some time in the future. However, I would want an educational track to also be a fun, good looking track!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby fdroidiordf » 20 Jan 2020, 15:17

I'm busy for a while, but I can try and make a prototype some time in the future.

That would be great!

However, I would want an educational track to also be a fun, good looking track!

You are right, in my opinion this is even the most important property for such an track. In the end of development, it should have the same quality (graphics, fun) as other tracks.
fdroidiordf

Postby Ludsky » 31 Jan 2020, 12:03

I would like to have a new dinosaur kart : triceratops it will be great ^^
Ludsky

Postby JDB83 » 08 Feb 2020, 14:58

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to Blender, but I want to build on track/Free for all and Soccer Arena combined.
Is it easy to work with an exported Collada file in Blender or is it better to build the model in Blender.

I want to make a 3D model in Sketchup or in MicroStation (CAD software).
JDB83

Postby tempAnon093 » 09 Feb 2020, 03:10

JDB83 {l Wrote}:Is it easy to work with an exported Collada file in Blender or is it better to build the model in Blender.

I'm a bit of a Blender/CAD newbie myself, maybe you could try making a few basic test models to see how well Blender imports Collada files.
The Technical Details section on this page notes a few areas it might have issues with: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/files/import_export/collada.html#collada-importer
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby JDB83 » 09 Feb 2020, 15:44

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
JDB83 {l Wrote}:Is it easy to work with an exported Collada file in Blender or is it better to build the model in Blender.

I'm a bit of a Blender/CAD newbie myself, maybe you could try making a few basic test models to see how well Blender imports Collada files.
The Technical Details section on this page notes a few areas it might have issues with: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/files/import_export/collada.html#collada-importer

Thanks for the comment.
I will try some simple models en hope it will work fine.
On what kind of project do you work now?
JDB83

Postby tempAnon093 » 11 Feb 2020, 09:39

JDB83 {l Wrote}:On what kind of project do you work now?

I did recently release the Frozen Drive add-on track and yesterday I made this small Rainforest test track.

I also made a proof-of-concept track called Random Roads, but I haven't worked on it for a while (it mainly just needs textures fixed but it may take a lot of effort)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby JDB83 » 11 Feb 2020, 18:54

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
JDB83 {l Wrote}:On what kind of project do you work now?

I did recently release the Frozen Drive add-on track and yesterday I made this small Rainforest test track.

I also made a proof-of-concept track called Random Roads, but I haven't worked on it for a while (it mainly just needs textures fixed but it may take a lot of effort)

Wowww. and you are a newbie.

This is a quick test what I made in Sketchup.
Looks this normal to you?
Attachments
Test_Sketchup.jpg
Test Arena Sketchup
JDB83

Postby tempAnon093 » 14 Feb 2020, 23:50

Thanks!

JDB83 {l Wrote}:This is a quick test what I made in Sketchup.

It does, although I would recommend making an extremely simple track in Blender first and exporting it to SuperTuxKart and playing it, because track creation requires installing a couple of object/export scripts for SuperTuxKart. I'm not sure if the current Blender version is supported yet (I use v2.79, instructions here and in various YouTube tutorials) so it would be best to check before starting a serious project.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby QwertyChouskie » 15 Feb 2020, 01:40

I can confirm, the SuperTuxKart export tools don't work with the new version of Blender yet, both the script and STK itself needs a rework of how materials/textures are handled to be compatible. There's some WIP code, but it hasn't been worked on in a while: https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/pull/3641
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby JDB83 » 15 Feb 2020, 11:46

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Thanks!

JDB83 {l Wrote}:This is a quick test what I made in Sketchup.

It does, although I would recommend making an extremely simple track in Blender first and exporting it to SuperTuxKart and playing it, because track creation requires installing a couple of object/export scripts for SuperTuxKart. I'm not sure if the current Blender version is supported yet (I use v2.79, instructions here and in various YouTube tutorials) so it would be best to check before starting a serious project.

Thanks, I created this arena in my coffee break, just to how it looked like in Blender :D .
I'm glad that I can use Sketchup and MicroStation to build a model. I use that programs daily.
I will downgrade Blender and see how it works.
JDB83

Postby theXman63 » 13 Mar 2020, 23:04

What about the OS tans? could Linux-tan be a good choice for an idea?
theXman63

upgrade karts to electric...

Postby quantum immortal » 21 Jul 2020, 20:41

Karts should be upgraded to be electric....
You have to live with the times...

No more broom broom.
No more large exhausts with smoke.
quantum immortal

Postby lumberjack6 » 08 Aug 2020, 07:38

I wonder if somebody can add the Tails flash drive (the mascot for the Tails operating system) as an add-on kart character.

Honestly, I can't find any copyright/copyleft notice on Tails' website, so I'm not sure one way or the other if we would have permission to use it in the game or not. I'm sure we could always ask them.

If we can't get permission, then an alternative could be to use the EFF's Privacy Badger as a kart character. The EFF has a Creative Commons notice for all the material on their website, so I assume it should be okay to use their Privacy Badger character.
lumberjack6

Postby forum » 20 Aug 2020, 21:28

You might find this project inspiring:
https://rvgl.re-volt.io/
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby JeremiahKun » 21 Sep 2020, 18:50

This is a concept for STK, what if Databricks had a mascot? Here we have a beaver, unofficially representing the company itself.

His fur is orange with his hands and feet brown, he is male, and wears a shirt bearing the Databricks logo and a pair of black sneakers.
Attachments
20200921_133508.jpg
My name is Jeremiah. I was built as a mecha to destroy, but I will not destroy anymore.
JeremiahKun

Postby tempAnon093 » 01 Oct 2020, 00:26

responding to https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 480#p94599

fracture {l Wrote}:An urban circuit would be a good idea for a track. Ever since I first played this game I've been waiting for a track with actual traffic similar to N64 Toad's Turnpike, where players must dodge the cars (and in reverse mode, the cars come towards you). I'm assuming the reason this hasn't happened yet is because of limitations with the game's engine? Can it not display that many moving vehicles?

It can, and a couple of add-ons do. Voxel Village does, LM Track has a small section with a moving car and Black Forest has a moving train. The game allows you to animate an object like that and for that object to crash your kart. I think it's more that not many artists made tracks that required them or thought about adding them.
An urban track would be nice for a change, I always loved the atmosphere created by City Lights and some of it's street-circuit dynamics.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093