Wild West Track

Wild West Track

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 28 Apr 2023, 07:06

Hi guys, over the last few weeks I've been working from time to time on a new track project I call "Wild West" for now.
wild_west-2023.04.28_07.41.22.jpg

wild_west-2023.04.28_07.40.51.jpg

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7c9h6cljbdzo ... 2.zip?dl=0
(I hope I didn't forget to include all library nodes)

I have mostly put time into asset creation and not that much time into track layout and ladscape.

But now that the new Fortmagma track is rather close to beeing finished, I will probably start working the landscape of this track more and more.

For that reason I need some feedback on the track layout.

It's pretty unique and first I really liked it but now I'm not so sure anymore. It surely has nice elements but I don't know how well they fit together.

Mostly I'm thinking that the section through the wild west town will feel not exiting enough, there will be nice scenery sure, but not that much going on besides that.

I'm also not sure about the waterfall, especcialy with the way it's integrated into the landscape.

Let me know what you guys think, any ideas and feedback is welcome!
Last edited by SvenAndreasBelting on 28 Apr 2023, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
SvenAndreasBelting

Re: Wild West Track

Postby Polo10 » 28 Apr 2023, 09:13

Hello Sven,
I tested your track. I think there are some things to dig into. The village is great graphically but you need two paths of the same length. If you don't find this part exciting enough I think you could make paths in the houses a bit like your cottage in Black Forest.
As for the bridge, it's an original design that I really like.
The waterfall idea is good too, it's something new in STK.
In the part before the village I find it good and for the moment I have nothing to say about it but maybe in the future I will. For the part after the village I think that it goes up too much at once. It might be necessary to reduce the slope but not to be too smooth either.
And as I often find that the tracks are beautiful but a bit empty (not only yours of course) I would suggest that since you are only at the beginning of the work of your track to include characters of STK or even karts in the extensions of STK but which are in the same universe as the standard characters a little all along the track and in activity in the village. This idea would be to show the STK universe and to really see the official tracks or to structure the future STK story mode. Because yes, I think that if the track is successful it will be in the standard tracks of the game. In any case I wish it a great future.
Of course tell me if there are things you didn't understand ;)
Have a nice day !
Polo10

Postby Polo10 » 28 Apr 2023, 09:14

Of course I have used a translator for write everythat !
Polo10

Postby Polo10 » 28 Apr 2023, 09:15

Because I have not enough skills in english for write everythat!
Lol.
Polo10

Postby Polo10 » 28 Apr 2023, 09:19

And I also think that when you get to the bottom of the waterfall it could make a splash. And when you get to the bridge it's a bit complicated and not very fluid.
Polo10

Postby Polo10 » 28 Apr 2023, 12:38

Another thing I think is that the bridge should not be from the beginning. I think you would have to add a longer section between the canyons after the town and the bridge.
Polo10

Postby fracture » 28 Apr 2023, 16:02

The layout isn't bad, and I can see you took inspiration from Shy Guy Falls, one of the best Mario Kart 8 tracks, but it is sort of confusing.
While I do like the waterfall, it's harder to control the driver.
I don't think the two separate paths in the village are necessary since they are both the same length and look the same, but since villages in real life aren't one street, it does make sense.
The uphill section is too steep and it's hard to tell where to go when you're driving up it.
I do like the rest of the layout which balances sharp turns with long, straight sections where I can use speed boosts.

My suggestions: take out the waterfall (or make a different path in which you drive around it but not on it) and reduce the uphill slope towards the end.

I could see this or Canyon 42 being a solid replacement to Hacienda in 2.0 which I never liked.
fracture

Postby Polo10 » 28 Apr 2023, 16:08

I don't know but maybe you can Sven fix the waterfall problem with the scripts and that's how it's set up by default.
Polo10

Postby Polo10 » 28 Apr 2023, 16:14

And then he doesn't have to set it because that's kind of the effect it has when we're in a waterfall. But I think that if Sven wants it, it's possible to set it up in the scripts, because I think it's a great idea to have this waterfall.
Polo10

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 28 Apr 2023, 21:45

Quick fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7c9h6cljbdzo ... 2.zip?dl=0

I left an invisble collision object were you enter the waterfall which made the transition really bad. In the new version it should feel way better.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I will gather a bit more feedback before I reply, and decide how to go on with the track.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby eltomito » 04 May 2023, 19:39

I love the music and the way the track looks - even though pretty much all the landscape us still missing, it looks fantastic already. I like the section where you go through the water, both the creek and the waterfall. They look great and feel physically refreshing.

I agree that the steep uphill section makes it hard to see where you're going next but I assume it's only because there's nothing around the path yet. Once there's some landscape or objects (cactuses, dead trees,...), you'll see where you're going.

My only gripe with this track is that it's pretty boring to drive. I compared it to The Old West from addons and that one is much more fun. You can go on the railway tracks and trough a tunnel, or you take the normal route and see the valley, there are interesting turns and stuff. But I understand that the driving on train tracks is already (really well) used in Black Forest, so it would be kind of old to do it again here. But anyway, I'd enjoy some more exciting turns, narrow passes, split roads or whatever.

Anyway, even as it is, I would be happy to see this track replace Canyon 42 IMHO the most boring track in STK. But I love Hacienda, it's one of my favorite tracks.
eltomito

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 05 May 2023, 14:21

Polo10 {l Wrote}:The village is great graphically but you need two paths of the same length.

The 2 parts are of the same lenghts tho or did you mean something else?

Polo10 {l Wrote}:And when you get to the bridge it's a bit complicated and not very fluid.

Do you mean only the left turn when entering the bridge, or also the part of the bridge after that?

fracture {l Wrote}:While I do like the waterfall, it's harder to control the driver.

Tha's actually a bug. It seems that on specific angles even with a magnetic texture the karts are not able to turn like they normally can. Rotating the waterfall by 45 degrees fixed that issue, but that is of course not a solution that will work. I only did it to test is the angle was the reason.
I don't like that as well (even though it kinda makes sense that you can not control your kart like normal).

fracture {l Wrote}:My suggestions: take out the waterfall (or make a different path in which you drive around it but not on it) and reduce the uphill slope towards the end.

I really don't want to take out the waterfall it's the core part of the track for me. If the bug get's fixed it should be fine I think

fracture {l Wrote}:I don't think the two separate paths in the village are necessary since they are both the same length and look the same, but since villages in real life aren't one street, it does make sense.

Yep you are right there isn't that much to the 2 paths at the moment. I still think it makes sense to have more than 1 paths in the village, and I will hopefully come up with something to give each path a purpose.

eltomito {l Wrote}:My only gripe with this track is that it's pretty boring to drive. I compared it to The Old West from addons and that one is much more fun. You can go on the railway tracks and trough a tunnel, or you take the normal route and see the valley, there are interesting turns and stuff. But I understand that the driving on train tracks is already (really well) used in Black Forest, so it would be kind of old to do it again here. But anyway, I'd enjoy some more exciting turns, narrow passes, split roads or whatever.

Hm IMHO the track is not that boring to drive. At least the part before you enter the village is quite challenging (especially the bridge part). Of course it's not on the level of the new Fortmagma or Minigolf but not every track should as hard as the two.
In terms of exciting sections I think you are right , besides the waterfall and the little lake there isn't that much that makes this track special. But then again I don't think every track needs to be extremly special and having some more basic tracks is also important.

I already planned to make the train tracks an alternative path (I know black forest already has that but as long not more tracks start using that as well it should be fine imo).
I also plan to add some obstacles to the paths in the village that will make them more interesting as well.

Now to the part that you all agree on, the steep upwards section after the village:
The reason it is so steep is simply that I had to counter the height of the waterfall, the track only goes upwards after the waterfall but there was still a lot to cover after the village.

I'm not the biggest fan of that section as well, it really was just the simplest way to complete the track cylce. I first had some more turns in that section but that made the track to long and I also did not have any good decoration ideas for that section, so it would've been kinda wasted space of the track.

For the section as it is right now I planned to make it look something like that:
steepSection_decoration.jpg

I'm very interest to know, is it only to steep because of bad visibility? Or do you guys also don't like the gameplay of that section?
As eltomito said visibility will get better once details to the border of the track will be added.
But maybe adding a turn more and making it a bit less steep would be the better solution, I would have to come up with a bit more interesting decoratin tho, any ideas?
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby eltomito » 05 May 2023, 21:15

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:I'm very interest to know, is it only to steep because of bad visibility? Or do you guys also don't like the gameplay of that section?

I like it. Add more scenery around it and keep it, it's fun :)
eltomito

Postby Polo10 » 14 May 2023, 07:39

Hello Sven,
Yes, sorry, I hadn't thought it through, the two paths are the same length. :think:
And for the arrival at the bridge only, I find it a little abrupt because one does not see very well before, the link between the road and the bridge. You drive along, turn left, go downhill a bit and you are directly on the bridge. So it's a bit abrupt. A better visibility of this transition would be for my part a point to improve.
Tell me if it's not clear. :)
Have a nice day! :)
Polo10