Editing Other Peoples Tracks?

Editing Other Peoples Tracks?

Postby MRM5686 » 06 Apr 2023, 00:32

Just curious on what the rules are on editing or re-texturing other peoples tracks? Why was my track edit removed? I did not see anything in the license that said not to, and there is a source link for the track.
MRM5686

Re: Editing Other Peoples Tracks?

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Apr 2023, 02:41

I don't think it has been removed, I can see Rock Stadium Moon and Pipe Track Space Race showing up in the in-game add-ons. The red means it hasn't been manually approved by staff yet (can take a day or longer), all new tracks are like that.

I notice you've added your name to the designer on Pipe Track Space Race "skindoormimiz (re-textured by MRM5686)". This is good! It helps people know it's a retexture from the add-ons menu. It would be good if you can do similar with Rock Stadium Moon, like "skindoormimiz & MRM5686" since you've made major contributions to the new track.

As for rules, I am not aware of any. Like you said, it's legal, and there's nothing special about the track that would make it get removed. So you should be fine.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Apr 2023, 03:09

By the way, I notice Pipe Track Space Race has the new "green.png" material without magnetic track (so you can't ride up walls), see the has-gravity="Y" tag in the original texture (in Blender, this is the Affects Gravity checkbox). On a space track, I think messing with gravity is a must! (also there's a stray "/>" on line 14 which should be removed)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 06 Apr 2023, 16:31

I think texture mods of tracks are generally less likely to get approved, because they are not really new tracks (I'm not sure tho).

If it would be possible to sort add-ons better and have texture mods like a subfolder of a track or another section besides: karts, tracks and arenas it would probably be more interesting. But as it stands right now I'm honestly not the biggest fan of texture mods in the add-ons, but that's just my opinion.

If you wanna improve textures of an track, you can of course also always contact the track creator, and ask if they want to include the changes into their tracks.
SvenAndreasBelting