My kart pack

My kart pack

Postby johannc » 20 Feb 2023, 10:03

Hi.
I am new in this forum and english is not my native language. Hope I do things well.
I am currently trying to build some karts. Just for fun (and to practice blender) (and to play with supertuxkart).
I built two of them. An archive is available here http://poufpoufproduction.fr/site/kartpack.7z
If it is possible, I'd really like to get some feedbacks to improve my models, these ones and the next to come. On top of that, I have an issue with Tux's wheels I can not figure out : in game, they do not stay in their axis. Do not know why. If someone has idea, it would be very helpful.
Thanks.

johannc

Re: My kart pack

Postby benau » 22 Feb 2023, 18:40

If you mean the steering animation try add more keyframes between left, center and right frames
benau
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 22 Feb 2023, 23:12

Very good! I hope you upload this to the add-ons site when you're ready :)
I notice Tux opens their mouth too, a tongue would look good.
It's great to see they both have original flying animations when driving over a jump. They are a bit sudden, so maybe a few extra frames at the start would help them move from the normal driving position up to the flying animation.
Overall they are great karts. Original vehicle shape, night-time lights turn on, detailed animations; formidable!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby johannc » 27 Feb 2023, 18:31

Thanks for your replies.
. I guess I am going to upload all karts as soon as the third one (aka MechaTux) is done.
. Good advice for the extra frames. I will fix this.
. About my wheel issue, I am not sure it is because of the keyframes. The problem comes from the wheel position which shifts a little bit to the front in game (it seems fine in the selection panel).

Btw, here comes MechaTux:
johannc

Postby johannc » 09 Mar 2023, 14:32

About the wheel shift: it seems to be a global issue. On my end, no kart have their wheels in the good place during the game. Even the standard ones.
Do anyone meet the same issue ?
johannc

Postby tempAnon093 » 10 Mar 2023, 04:38

The issue you're pointing out looks like the wheels are too low when driving, even when they're fine in the editor and kart select menu.
If you have editor debug mode turned on (very useful), you can change the view. If I check the top-down view, they appear in the correct position, so it looks like the wheels are dropping down to touch the ground, since I'm guessing there isn't a understanding of frame suspension for karts in the game code. This would be a global code issue, and since it would require updating a lot of karts to fix so I'm not sure if it will happen any time soon.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby johannc » 10 Mar 2023, 09:38

Hi.
Thanks for the debug mode tip. It is very useful.
I have been able to find out the issue: in game, the kart is moved up (I do not think the wheels are really dropping down). The distance of this translation seems to be equal to the distance of the lowest face of the kart to the ground. It is a little bit surprising. I tried a lot of things with the object origin and stuff like that, but the only thing which seems to work is to add a fake plane object at 0 z-level. Thanks to this plane, there is no in-game translation of the kart anymore. I will keep this fix for the moment.
johannc

Postby johannc » 15 Mar 2023, 09:08

Work in progress.
johannc