serious suggestions : add malus and change bananas

serious suggestions : add malus and change bananas

Postby Xzu » 30 Nov 2022, 20:02

I'm old, so I'm serious. ;)
I've played mariokart64, CTR, etc..
I've seen STK when it has no textures.. I can say I play it from the beginning.
And seriously, it's a great peace of free software. Nice job every one!

Now, I think so details should be improved.

Biggest one: bananas.
I think the approach is totally wrong with this game concept.
I suggest to change bananas to some thing that looks like penalties. That could be many things: a ugly box, a package, a classic game penalty symbol (skull, etc..).
(what is the word for the opposite of bonus in english? malus?)

And bananas should be.. bananas. What happen when you drive on banana peel? You slip!
So I suggest a random effect, chosen from: slip left, slip right, slip forward for 10meters, change physique for 3seconds, the peel sticks against the glass of the player's screen, and then slides slowly leaving traces for the whole race.
Many thing but NOT having a bomb, an anchor and all that: that is for penalties!

AND with the new concept of penalty box, we can also imagine a random box: it has only best bonus and strongest penalties, so you really take a risk when you choose one!

I can add I think this from my long experience, I wish my thinkings will add something to this amazing project!
Best!
Xzu

Re: serious suggestions : add malus and change bananas

Postby fracture » 01 Dec 2022, 19:47

Yeah the bananas in this game don't make sense. In real life, touching a banana doesn't summon a parachute or anchor behind you.

I'd add that a penalty box, if added into this game, should also be an item that a player can set on the track anywhere as an obstacle. I don't know if a random box would be a good idea. There are a lot of other things I think should be fixed in 2.0 besides just adding new tracks and there are some areas in this game that could use serious improvement.
fracture

Re: serious suggestions : add malus and change bananas

Postby altcoin » 22 Dec 2022, 00:28

Well said.
+1

I also propose a new powerup that when played gives all karts an instantaneous zipper/speed boost. :shock:
Karts on curvy, dangerous track parts would likely crash or fall off the track, while karts on flat straight track segments would be helped (if they were expecting it), even if they were not the original player.
Just a new powerup that doesn't always follow the "help me / hurt them" model of most powerups.
altcoin