Sewer Track

Re: Sewer Track

Postby tempAnon093 » 09 Apr 2023, 08:51

rubberduck {l Wrote}:It was maybe a week ago, I will check it again soon, maybe something else was the cause, something in the file that wasn't set up or so. For example in some conditions where I disabled a specific collection made the exporter fail when I tried to export it. Or yesterday where I had parts of the driveline not over ground (set to reset on drive), where it didn't want to export the track.

If you find a situation which should export but doesn't, feel welcome to upload the .blend and I can have a look at it.
But yeah, I didn't change much (was just to do with making library objects export properly in 3.0 or higher) so those issues are interesting to hear, especially if it worked on 2.93 and not newer ones (the only problems in updating I know affect under 2.80 or above 3.0)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby rubberduck » 09 Apr 2023, 13:51

I tried it at least with blender 3.3 where I get this error
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/rubberduck/blender-3.3.0-linux-x64/3.3/scripts/addons/io_antarctica_scene/stk_track.py", line 1256, in invoke
    return self.execute(context)
  File "/home/rubberduck/blender-3.3.0-linux-x64/3.3/scripts/addons/io_antarctica_scene/stk_track.py", line 1270, in execute
    savescene_callback(self, self.filepath, exportImages, self.exportDrivelines, self.exportScene, self.exportMaterials)
  File "/home/rubberduck/blender-3.3.0-linux-x64/3.3/scripts/addons/io_antarctica_scene/stk_track.py", line 1199, in savescene_callback
    TrackExport(self, sFilePath, exportImages, exportDrivelines and stk_utils.getSceneProperty(bpy.data.scenes[0], 'is_stk_node', 'false') != 'true', exportScene, exportMaterials)
  File "/home/rubberduck/blender-3.3.0-linux-x64/3.3/scripts/addons/io_antarctica_scene/stk_track.py", line 1088, in __init__
    stktype = stk_utils.getObjectProperty(obj, "type", "").strip().upper()
  File "/home/rubberduck/blender-3.3.0-linux-x64/3.3/scripts/addons/io_antarctica_scene/stk_utils.py", line 69, in getObjectProperty
    if obj.proxy is not None:
AttributeError: 'Object' object has no attribute 'proxy'

I also tried to open another file, my local version of the minigolf track, saved under blender 2.9.3, where blender just crashes on start (I noticed such crashes with some other tracks too, for example the xr591 blend file, which doesn't open with this version
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 12 Apr 2023, 18:47

rubberduck {l Wrote}:I am more focused on making some props for the track as I had it planned before. Right now I am testing and developing these in my version of the track, later I want to put these objects in a separate file though too.

I worked further on these spheres, testing different looks
spheres.jpg

and other smaller things, like this trash bag, and more things are planned
other_props.jpg

Nice I like them!
Will you upload the assets here when they are finished? Would love to use them in the track.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
rubberduck {l Wrote}:I tried it once with a newer version, but the exporter didn't work for me there

When was this? Because I updated the exporter on March 15 to make it work properly with the new versions (I'm exporting fine with 3.5.0) so if it's still broken, let me know.

I just got to test the exporter with Blender 3.3 (I was using 2.93 before because of export errors as well) it's working so far for me without problems, just so you know. And thanks for updating the scripts! :)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 13 Apr 2023, 09:51

rubberduck {l Wrote}:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
    if obj.proxy is not None:

The new script doesn't have this line of code in it. If you haven't already, try re-downloading from https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-blender
If you already did, maybe it is installed in the wrong config folder. This is very possible and usually is what goes wrong on my computer: I think standalone installations have their own config folders, flatpak / snap uses a different config folder to system installs, the local folder takes precedence over the user blender folder and the system blender folder, there are lots of tricks.

This is the ultimate guide of config folders: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/late ... ayout.html , unless you used snap or flatpak or similar.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:And thanks for updating the scripts! :)

You're welcome :) Plus it makes it so much easier to set up, there were a couple of artists I talked to who couldn't get it set up and I realized how important it was to fix all those little annoying issues if we want to get more artists involved.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 05 May 2023, 13:33

Finally a little update on this track ;)

sewer_newgen-2023.05.05_13.33.16.jpg

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey6v3rn2sll1s ... 2.zip?dl=0

The most interesting new things are 2 new walldriving sections, those are not fine tuned yet but for testing and getting a feel for them they are good enough.

They are already decently balanced as far as I can tell, my goal is to make the wall driving a tiny bit slower overall with the benefit of potentially avoiding some of the item chaos.

the other changes are:

- added skybox texture

- improved lighting

- reduced the number of alpha planes for the green slime to 5

- added details like pipes and lights in some places

- changed the transition after turn 4 to the next section

The performance of the track should be way better now, let me know if it is still worse compared to other tracks for you.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby Haenschen » 11 Aug 2023, 06:01

I understand that the track is still evolving, and it might be a bit premature for my comment ... However, the path along the wall using the zippers is way slower than simply staying on the main path.
Haenschen

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 11 Aug 2023, 13:52

Haenschen {l Wrote}:I understand that the track is still evolving, and it might be a bit premature for my comment ... However, the path along the wall using the zippers is way slower than simply staying on the main path.

Yep you're right. Do you have any specific time comparisions?

I find it not that easy to test those paths, because both walldriving parts have to be balanced separatly. And since they are both rather short, the time differences are really small, and it's hard to tell how much they might also be influenced by my driving mistakes.

Would be great if you have some better "data" on the time differences than I have ;)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby Haenschen » 14 Aug 2023, 08:13

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Would be great if you have some better "data" on the time differences than I have ;)

I realized that while racing with friends, they caught up to me on that particular stretch of the track where I was driving along the zipper wall, whereas they stayed on the main path.

To narrow down the time difference, I used ghost files. The time gap turns out to be about one second. The ghost that rides the zipper wall enters that track section with a 0.15s lead (first screenshot). At the bridge, the ghost falls behind by -0.34s (second screenshot). By the end of that section, the difference amounts to -0.95 seconds. That's about one second in total. I can send the ghost files if you want. (I was skidding on the wall and I replicated the 1s difference in 2-3 more runs.)

I would suggest increasing the zipper strength such that the wall path is about 0.3-0.5 seconds faster. Driving the wall is more difficult and also the positioning after the nitro jump at the end is suboptimal.
Attachments
screenshot3.png
screenshot 3
screenshot2.png
screenshot 2
screenshot1.png
screenshot 1
Haenschen

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 16 Aug 2023, 16:03

Haenschen {l Wrote}:I can send the ghost files if you want.
Yep that would be nice! (You can also send them with Discord if that's easier for you).

And thanks for testing, balancing can be really difficult at times, so any help is very welcome.
I'm busy working on other things at the moment, but once I get back working on STK tracks, I will fix the balancing issue :)
SvenAndreasBelting