[finished] Battle Island Arena

[finished] Battle Island Arena

Postby qubodup » 12 Aug 2011, 15:27

Hi,

I have played some STK with friends lately and I wanted more arena tracks so I made one.

You can see some in-dev drawings and screenshots at http://www.flickr.com/photos/qubodup/se ... 35/detail/

Here's an outdated video of the track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPEynrQQ_V0

New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-_5vM08Uc

Criticism welcome!

Much of the visuals are inspired by islandtrack (and I use many textures that are used in it and learned how to model and texture palm trees and rocks from it).

EDIT: you can find the track on http://stkaddons.net/arenas/battle-island
Attachments
battleisland_screenshot.jpg
battleisland_screenshot.jpg (19.33 KiB) Viewed 9907 times
battleisland.7z
blend, exported track, textures, preview and license inside
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 265 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: Battle Island Arena - WIP

Postby fraang » 12 Aug 2011, 16:36

The track looks really, really nice! Just awesome! :heart:

But I have one suggestion:
Can you make the water slightly transparent so we can see the sea ground? This way it would look less solid.
fraang

Postby Iridium » 12 Aug 2011, 18:59

I saw the video - looks awesome! what about some hills and dunes? Looks kind of smallish. Maybe a couple of coconuts lying around? ;)
Iridium

Postby coug36 » 13 Aug 2011, 06:45

First off, this is awesome. That video makes me want to go play it right now!

I would second Iridium by saying it seems a bit small.. but the fact that the surface is curved really does help that. I think increasing the size would help.

I LOVE the bridge in the middle. Can you fit any more elements that change elevation like that? Perhaps more places to drive under/over other karts?
coug36

Postby Ludsky » 13 Aug 2011, 10:29

Thanks you for this map multiplayer, I test this map with my brother and it's a very good map.
Ludsky

Postby Funto » 13 Aug 2011, 20:47

Seems quite good, but please, do not increase the size ^^
Just my opinion, but I prefer battle arenas where we can easily find the opponent, and not look for him constantly.
Funto

Postby Iridium » 13 Aug 2011, 21:27

Funto {l Wrote}:Seems quite good, but please, do not increase the size ^^
Just my opinion, but I prefer battle arenas where we can easily find the opponent, and not look for him constantly.

That depends on the amount of people in a room, right?
With more than 4 people in this room, it would be over fast, so I still think the size should increase a little, but not so it's enourmous.
Iridium

Postby Funto » 13 Aug 2011, 23:12

So you don't like many people smashing each other around in a small space? :p
Funto

Postby Iridium » 14 Aug 2011, 00:15

Funto {l Wrote}:So you don't like many people smashing each other around in a small space? :p

Only if it lasts a good while. :twisted: But because it only takes 3 strikes, it's gonna be kinda short. Either make the map bigger or increase the number of strikes!
Iridium

Postby Arthur » 14 Aug 2011, 01:00

Well, so far 4 is max; when we get networking we could use larger battle maps. But for now, the size is not too bad.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby coug36 » 14 Aug 2011, 01:37

I guess I just envisioned this map with 4 players instead of 2. It's a good size for 2 players.
coug36

Postby Turtle » 14 Aug 2011, 09:30

Arthur {l Wrote}:Well, so far 4 is max; when we get networking we could use larger battle maps. But for now, the size is not too bad.

Whoa when was this added to the game? How does the lives work? (3 balloons?)
Turtle

Postby Arthur » 14 Aug 2011, 12:52

As to when, it has been in the game since around version 0.6. You lose lives if you are hit by a cake or bowling ball. The 3 Strikes Battle game mode is only available through split-screen multiplayer, since there is no AI for it (yet). But maybe we'll get that one day as well. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby qubodup » 14 Aug 2011, 15:29

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback, I'm glad people like this and are giving criticism.

fraang {l Wrote}:Can you make the water slightly transparent so we can see the sea ground? This way it would look less solid.

I should look into it. Is there a track that does it so I can check out an example?

Iridium {l Wrote}:what about some hills and dunes? Looks kind of smallish. Maybe a couple of coconuts lying around? ;)

Cave X has little hills and I'd say it works in that map but I don't see the need to break the flat surfaces in Battle Island yet and I don't want to make driving around it harder without a good reason. So it needs testing :) Two of the stones can be driven on by the way.
Adding coconuts for playing around with physical objects? If it was possible to make a "if you crash into a tree, a coconut will fall out of it" that might be kind of a neat gimmick :) Even though my palm design does not match coconut trees too well (mine are too thick).

coug36 {l Wrote}:I LOVE the bridge in the middle. Can you fit any more elements that change elevation like that? Perhaps more places to drive under/over other karts?

An arena map that has more than one bridge over driveways could be cool but I will most likely not make this one more complex than it is now. Feel free to push any concept art our way on the forum though :D

Ludsky {l Wrote}:I test this map with my brother and it's a very good map.

Thanks a lot! Actual multiplayer testing is very valuable and any feedback is most welcome.

About Size: I'll need to test this with 3-4 players or get feedback from people who actually tested this with 3-4 players before I make any changes. I don't see a problem with a map being over quick but it might be that the size makes it impossible for respawning players to recover/defend themselves. Also that skid noise (sharp turns) is getting really annoying. :)

I should be able to test this map with 3 players sooner or later. If anybody plays with map with 2-4 players, please let me know how it was (be harsh if it's easier for you, don't worry about me being offended as the designer). :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Arthur » 14 Aug 2011, 18:29

I could potentially test it with 4 players, but that depends on getting my siblings to play along. ;)
Arthur

Postby Iridium » 14 Aug 2011, 20:11

Arthur {l Wrote}:I could potentially test it with 4 players, but that depends on getting my siblings to play along. ;)

Me too.
Iridium

Postby qubodup » 14 Aug 2011, 20:36

Iridium {l Wrote}:
Arthur {l Wrote}:I could potentially test it with 4 players, but that depends on getting my siblings to play along. ;)

Me too.

Please do! :D
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Kinsu » 15 Aug 2011, 04:45

qubodup {l Wrote}:If it was possible to make a "if you crash into a tree, a coconut will fall out of it"

I think the way to do so would be to add some scripts/events to tracks. Even with very simple scripts ("When kart touches tree, create a coconut just above") this idea has a huuuuge potential, to make funny stuff in tracks !
Kinsu

Postby Crendgrim » 15 Aug 2011, 12:36

When I first read "Battle Arena" and saw the island picture, I thought you had ported the old island battle track (however it was called) and thought: Oh, why?
And then I saw what you actually did; and I must say I really do like this track. Not only because we now have more than 2 (3 if you count in Stephen's test track) battle arenas, but also because this seems to be the best battle track I saw so far, including those in older versions.
Crendgrim

Postby qubodup » 15 Aug 2011, 14:13

Crendgrim: Island Battle? What track is that? I didn't know there were any others besides the 2 + 1 in the current version.. Are there any screenshots remaining? :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Auria » 16 Aug 2011, 01:15

qubodup, I think he is referring to the old "prehistoric island" track from STK 0.6 :)

Anyway, feel very welcome to submit this track to stdaddons.net when it's ready :D it's also very likely to make it in main then
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby qubodup » 17 Aug 2011, 11:21

I have problems with stkaddons login: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/supert ... ticket/384
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby sj04736 » 18 Aug 2011, 00:21

qubodup {l Wrote}:I have problems with stkaddons login: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/supert ... ticket/384

Fixed.
Stephen
Role: STK-Addons Developer

sj04736

Postby qubodup » 18 Aug 2011, 22:48

Thanks! Uploaded!

I did not enable compression in my blend file. hope that's ok. (not sure how to in 2.58)

I'm worried that there might be injection vulnurabilities in stkaddons though. http://xkcd.com/327/

http://stkaddons.net/users.php doesn't show arenas

regarding stkaddions: http://stkaddons.net/upload.php has this string (html not parsed) """Do not use this form if you are updating an existing add-on.<br />"""

.7z might be a format you want to support.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Auria » 19 Aug 2011, 00:01

Thanks qubodup for the arena, I will approve it.

i will leave the other remarks for Stephen :)
Auria
STK Moderator