Pidgin Paradise Track

Pidgin Paradise Track

Postby Jooost » 29 Jun 2011, 21:22

Hey all!

I'm working on a new track called Pidgin Paradise. It's based in a forest and the track goes around trees and through canopies. Here are a couple of screenshots.

The track still is a major WIP, but I could use some feedback on the track shape and theme. Also I could use some advice regarding the tree canopies. What's the best and nicest way to model them?

I've attached the track to this post, and thanks in advance for testing it!

Joost
Attachments
pidginparadise.tar.gz
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
Jooost

Re: Pidgin Paradise Track

Postby hiker » 30 Jun 2011, 00:15

Hi,

Jooost {l Wrote}:I'm working on a new track called Pidgin Paradise

That's a great idea. Perhaps we should try to do this long term: have one track for each character.

The track still is a major WIP, but I could use some feedback on the track shape and theme.

One thing you should be aware of: tracks were karts might fall off are certainly quite difficult to drive (see star track), and/or can be quite frustrating. So you might want to consider adding a kind of fence. I haven't had time to try the track yet, will try tonight.

I've attached the track to this post, and thanks in advance for testing it!

Note that you can already upload work-in-progress tracks to our addon manager (http://www.stkaddons.net/). As a default it will only be visible to people using the upcoming 0.7.2 rc (or SVN), and have a special debug flag set - but all artists and developers on this forum will have set this, so they can install your track with a mouse click. You can also update the track as well (and we welcome feedback if everything works as expected).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 30 Jun 2011, 01:24

Hi,

interesting concept :) I might recommend making the road a bit larger however, it will be difficult to overtake opponents; and of course add distinctive scenery elements

Also, we usually try to avoid flying tracks, as Joerg mentionned; so maybe in some areas of the track you can ground the road?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby STKRudy85 » 30 Jun 2011, 11:46

hiker {l Wrote}:That's a great idea. Perhaps we should try to do this long term: have one track for each character.

This is what I started to do

I talk with Samuncle, and we agreed that tracks for main package should get 2 possible ways. It's for us an important point to starting to modelling. Are you agreed ( we can write it in the documentation if you are )
STK fan
STKRudy85

Postby Crendgrim » 30 Jun 2011, 15:49

hiker {l Wrote}:That's a great idea. Perhaps we should try to do this long term: have one track for each character.

Well, a few already have some tracks I would identify them with:

Gooey: The Island
Mozilla: Fort Magma? (maybe a new, polished Volcano?)
Puffy: Sub Sea?
Wilber: Math Class
Beagle: Farm
Emule: Hacienda?
Nolok: Fort Magma? (or The Cube, because that track is evil :D )
Tux: Northern Resort / Snow Peak (though the Tollway is called "Tux"...)
Android: Industry (if that is portable to 0.7)
BigBuckBunny: Secret Garden
Beastie: Fort Magma
Chuck: Fort Magma (well, that track fits multiple characters; though in the old version with the throne I definitely saw it as Nolok's, referring to SuperTux)
Audacity Girl: Night Club (if it is portable)
Crendgrim

Postby Arthur » 30 Jun 2011, 16:10

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:Android: Industry (if that is portable to 0.7)
Audacity Girl: Night Club (if it is portable)

Oh ye of little faith! I ported Subsea; what would hinder me from doing those as well? ;)
If someone could point me to the sources of Industry, I'd certainly make it work (but the legal matters might make it hard to add it to stkaddons). We need more narrow tracks! :twisted:

jooost: Cool concept! I would perhaps used more sharp curves, but if you want your track to be easy to drive it's fine as well.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Crendgrim » 30 Jun 2011, 17:12

The portability question meant to include the license question.
Crendgrim

Postby hiker » 01 Jul 2011, 03:27

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:

I think the name of the tracks should contain the character name, e.g.: "Beastie's Castle" (instead of Fort Magma *sigh* though I like the original title) etc. But agreed, we already would have some.

Well, not urgent, but it would be something to aim at.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby STKRudy85 » 01 Jul 2011, 09:16

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:Audacity Girl: Night Club (if it is portable)

To be totally re- made (track is to narrow and so many textures aren't under a free license)

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:Emule: Hacienda?

I prefer Nolok for hacienda I like to think him as a texan (the cliché: rude & Imbecile)
STK fan
STKRudy85

Postby Crendgrim » 01 Jul 2011, 14:43

hiker {l Wrote}:
Crendgrim {l Wrote}:

I think the name of the tracks should contain the character name, e.g.: "Beastie's Castle" (instead of Fort Magma *sigh* though I like the original title) etc. But agreed, we already would have some.

Well, not urgent, but it would be something to aim at.

Cheers,
Joerg

Well, on a second idea I don't think I would like that idea at all. :|
It sounds as if a certain kart would be favored on a certain track; and it'll look bad if that very kart always loses there. :P

STKRudy85 {l Wrote}:I prefer Nolok for hacienda I like to think him as a texan (the cliché: rude & Imbecile)

Hm, I don't second that. Nolok needs some badass home (such as a lava castle), not a nice hacienda; while Beastie really doesn't belong on a fort in the fire.

Crend
Crendgrim

Postby Funto » 01 Jul 2011, 18:39

Anyone wanting to make a Hell track for Beastie ?
With some metal music huhu :)
One could get some inspiration from Brutal Legend ;)
Funto

Postby Kinsu » 04 Jul 2011, 07:36

Like fort magma (and music from STK0.7's version) ?

@Jooost : Nice idea and WIP, keep us informed !
Kinsu