My skin Azul contribution/Add-on for SuperTux (Updated! 1.1)

My skin Azul contribution/Add-on for SuperTux (Updated! 1.1)

Postby Monstertux » 18 Jun 2011, 16:52

(((UPDATED! 1.1 Released!!!)))

Hi! I made a skin called Azul for Supertux! The instructions are in the .ZIP so I don't need to explain anything here. :)

Only things you need to know is it IS COMPATIBLE FOR STK 0.7.2, and it MAY NOT WORK with any earlier versions of 0.7, because of the updated skin. Thanks! :D

AZUL SKIN 1.1 MIRROR 1 - MEDIA FIRE

AZUL SKIN 1.1 MIRROR 2 - LOCAL HOSTR

AZUL SKIN 1.1 MIRROR 3 - GAME FRONT

ALL MIRRORS CONTAIN THE SAME FILE. I just made them so if one site becomes offline or shuts down, there is a back up. :)

Feel free, Developers, to put this in the add-ons section. I would LOVE it if you released it with the next SuperTuxKart.

Post here if there are any errors. :)

~MonsterTux

EDIT: Okay I updated it fixing some bad looks in the interface and another things. :)

Thanks! Please give feedback
Last edited by Monstertux on 13 Jul 2011, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
Monstertux

Re: My skin Azul contribution/Add-on for supertux

Postby Arthur » 18 Jun 2011, 23:48

To be honest with you, I don't think I'd want to use it in-game - the readability is horrible (too dark). Generally one should be very careful with using gradients; the green color doesn't go well with the rest of the skin. The shadow-highlighting is quite crude (very sharp edges in contrast to the widget before hovering). And the license notice in the readme is probably too vague even if we did want it in the main game (which I at this stage will honestly doubt).

Keep it up though; you will probably get better over time if you don't give up. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 19 Jun 2011, 00:32

Hi,

thanks for trying, but I agree this skin could use more work. Often it is hard to see the difference between the background and the foreground; and the gradient on the tabs is not very subtle
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Crendgrim » 20 Jun 2011, 14:56

I did not try the skin yet, but wanted to comment on the general idea:
Currently STK has only "karts" and "tracks" sections in the add-on manager, so you cannot exchange other content like Grand Prixs and Skins. Are there any plans to add more sections?

Crend
Crendgrim

Postby asciimonster » 20 Jun 2011, 16:04

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:Currently STK has only "karts" and "tracks" sections in the add-on manager, so you cannot exchange other content like Grand Prixs and Skins. Are there any plans to add more sections?
I second that! :!:
asciimonster

Postby sj04736 » 20 Jun 2011, 21:21

Adding functionality to the website for downloading game-themed wallpapers is in my plans. Skins and grand prix's would depend on the support of Auria and Hiker (or someone who wants to write a patch).
Stephen
Role: STK-Addons Developer

sj04736

Postby hiker » 21 Jun 2011, 00:31

sj04736 {l Wrote}:Adding functionality to the website for downloading game-themed wallpapers is in my plans. Skins and grand prix's would depend on the support of Auria and Hiker (or someone who wants to write a patch).

Grand Prix are a bit of a problem: since it is not known which tracks are installed, a GP might not work (since tracks are missing). So this would either:
  • need some dependency testing (to display only GPs that can be installed), and then give some feedback to the users (i.e. people might not be even aware that GPs are available if they don't install one track of each GP). Graphically a bit difficult.
  • require to automatically download all GPs as part of the news etc file, and then just to enable the ones that are available, but again this would have the problem that people might not be aware that a track is missing, so they never get the GPs. But at least this way GPs would 'magically' appear when downloading tracks.
  • need special GP packages (including all tracks and GP). But then we have to handle the case that an addon might already be installed (potentially with a different version).
Nothing really impossible though. Which way would be best?

Re skins: maybe, but at this stage I don't see a real demand for this.

Then there's of course the matter of time and priorities - I admit I would be more keen to start working on the physics than working on the addon manager. Any volunteers who might contribute?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Monstertux » 24 Jun 2011, 21:49

Okay, so I'm working on the next version, (Taking in account your ideas)

Here is a screenshot of the new GUI so far:

Picture of new GUI

Please give the image a few seconds to load.
Monstertux

Postby Monstertux » 27 Jun 2011, 00:46

Okay, almost ready to release next version. :)
Monstertux

Re: My skin Azul contribution/Add-on for SuperTux (Updated! 1.1)

Postby Monstertux » 13 Jul 2011, 01:40

Just posted it by editing the links on the first post. :D
Monstertux