AROS kitty kart - improvements?!

AROS kitty kart - improvements?!

Postby hardwired » 14 Jun 2011, 14:45

Ok! Now that the goal of having a kitty kart for the AROS version has been achieved, one can move to improve the kart itself - so let´s try to move on.

While I'm no 3d modeller - Kitty kart has been made by Tom Wright (which I hope will register here soon), I realized that there are something that could be done to improve the character and the vehicle. Those are things that may get into the to do list, and someone with the required skills (even I might try some that may be more accessible) to shine on the (so far) only female driver on the STK game.

Things like wining and losing animation and other pertinent stuff are obvious ones, but there might be details which somehow can make a difference.

The mascot icon has been revamped by me to suit the other mascots look (side facing, bold outline, more emphasis on the head...). I didn't do nothing to the eyes because its a part of the kitty charm and recognition of the character (the round eyes would certainly make her less cat). But I'm open to suggestions on that front also.

On a side note: I've made a 32x32 icon for the minimap, but STK don't seem to be using it (or I'm not noticing it).

The kart is downloadable from: http://archives.aros-exec.org/share/game/driving/kitty.zip
Might add to http://stkaddons.net/ later...

The blender model is available from the same place: http://archives.aros-exec.org/share/game/driving/kittykart_v004_249.blend.zip
So let's hear from you people, your suggestions...
hardwired

Re: AROS kitty kart - improvements?!

Postby xeno74 » 14 Jun 2011, 15:31

Thank you so much for the Kitty Kart 0.6.2a version :)

xeno74

Postby STKRudy85 » 14 Jun 2011, 18:56

1st suggestion : Think to separate character and kart to use the hero in another context (On another kart or in a scene ... )

Good luck
STK fan
STKRudy85

Postby Iridium » 14 Jun 2011, 21:27

This is amazing! as there is now a 0.7.2 RC1 out, maybe you could upload for us! :)
Iridium

Postby hardwired » 15 Jun 2011, 10:10

STKRudy85 {l Wrote}:1st suggestion : Think to separate character and kart to use the hero in another context (On another kart or in a scene ... )

It's already separate, but the lower body zone isn't complete - it's the hair extension only (no legs or feet). - So its a valid suggestion! Thank you!

Iridium {l Wrote}:This is amazing! as there is now a 0.7.2 RC1 out, maybe you could upload for us! :)

Well... Sure! Upload to where? To http://stkaddons.net/ ? Or somewhere else?!

What license scheme is acceptable for STK?
The author Tom Wright and myself agree on any kind of free license that allows others to modify and such as long as gives original credit to him (as the 3d modeller), Eric Schwartz (creator of AROS kitty) and myself for the GFX improvement.
Does APL license comply http://aros.sourceforge.net/license.html to STK requirements?
This is based on the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1: http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html

Edit: Xeno74 - you're welcome! ;)
hardwired

Postby Arthur » 15 Jun 2011, 10:44

Having a quick look at the AROS Public License, it seems like it won't go well with anything besides code. A license specifically crafted for artwork, such as CC-BY-SA 3+ would probably be best (and it's the license of choice for most other artwork in STK).
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby hardwired » 15 Jun 2011, 16:18

@Arthur:

Ok... I have referred to STK license page regarding contributions (karts and tracks): http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Licensing
It states:
(...)These licenses are acceptable : CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0, GPL, LGPL, Apache License, Mozilla License, Artistic, MIT, BSD License, X11 license, CC0 (Public Domain)(...)

So maybe a more updated and specific info might be helpful (even for future reference). Mozilla License (which is pretty much APL) is very code centric also...
hardwired

Postby Arthur » 15 Jun 2011, 16:56

Well yeah, I'm not one of the project leaders, and I'm certainly no lawyer. So don't add too much weight to my words. ;)
The author Tom Wright and myself agree on any kind of free license that allows others to modify and such as long as gives original credit to him (as the 3d modeller), Eric Schwartz (creator of AROS kitty) and myself for the GFX improvement.

CC-BY-SA 3.0 would fit perfectly with this, so I dunno why you want to use a code-centric license instead. But it's your choice.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 16 Jun 2011, 01:49

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Public_License it's OSI approved, so I guess it's fine :)
but if you have the choice I would tend to recommend something more appropriate for artwork, too. But you choose
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Arthur » 16 Jun 2011, 11:04

Auria: AROS Public License and Adaptive Public License is not the same I think. It's just the short-form that is the same (both can be shortened to APL).
Arthur

Postby Auria » 17 Jun 2011, 00:02

Arthur {l Wrote}:Auria: AROS Public License and Adaptive Public License is not the same I think. It's just the short-form that is the same (both can be shortened to APL).

oops! thanks for correcting me :) confusing acronyms

Anyway the rest of my post still applies I believe
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Funto » 17 Jun 2011, 00:34

I had a quick look at the MPL, and there is a definition for "source code", something like "preferred way to create the executable".
I'm not sure if we can really match the terms to artwork, "source code" being .blend and .xcf files and "executables" being the exported versions.

But I think "role-play" licenses are fun and somehow make the character better represent the philosophy behind the project (it's a mascot after all, it's supposed to represent the project...). I did the same with Beastie and its BSD license for this reason :)

BTW, I didn't really know AROS, it seems really nice, and I like the proposed kart too :)
Funto

Postby hardwired » 19 Jun 2011, 20:21

Taking on funto "beastie" and BSD license cue and confiding with the Authors the license they agree is the APL. It's the AROS open license scheme similar to Mozilla one.

So I've upload the kitty model under APL. It makes sense after all since it's the AROS mascot. And the license itself allows to do pretty much whatever you want (modify, apply to your own work...), except not crediting the original authors.

Kitty :
AROS "Kitty" mascot created by Eric Schwartz for AROS
released under APL

Kitty and kart 3D model by Thomas Wright
released under APL

Kitty Cartoon icon adaptation to STK by João Ralha
released under APL

AROS PUBLIC LICENSE (APL): http://aros.sourceforge.net/license.html

I hope it satisfies the STK crew, and that one day they find Kitty good enough character to star in the game - my believe its one of the best characters... But I'm biased ;)

To the players, just hope it adds some magic into the game itself!

P.S.: I did add the blender model, but the upload script removed it! How do I do to add? Or does the blender model have to be uploaded in another manner...
hardwired

Postby Auria » 19 Jun 2011, 23:14

Hi,

this license does look fine :) I think we have a kart ready to test the new add-on website :D
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hardwired » 27 Jul 2011, 16:06

I had the file main zip file uploaded with source but for some reason it did not validate it. So I uploaded today...

It requires the textures from the main zip file - still there's something wrong because I get this message on the Addon Manager site:
Warning: This addon may not display correctly on some systems. It uses textures that may not be compatible with all video cards.

Anything I can do? Is it because the textures are not sqare? I had to make them square for version < 0.7, while converting into the special image format used...

Also can seem to set the image file! I've uploaded a 300x225 PNG image file (set to image) but doesn't show!

Edit: Also if anyone could come up with some sort of wining and losing animation - as I believe Thomas is busy on it's main projects and won't pick it any time sooner. He also complained about the lights on STK...
hardwired

Postby Auria » 27 Jul 2011, 23:54

This message is because textures are not power-of-two in size; so make sure that your textures are sized 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 pixels (doesn't need to be square)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hardwired » 28 Jul 2011, 13:06

How about the message:
Source Files
No source files have been uploaded for this addon yet.

I've already uploaded them!... What does it require?

Edit: It seems it hasn't been aproved yet... Any prob with the blender file?
hardwired

Postby Arthur » 28 Jul 2011, 17:48

Approval is done manually, so it can take some time before it happens.
(There should be some kind of system so moderators get notified about changes. Then the process would probably be bit faster.)
Arthur

Postby Auria » 29 Jul 2011, 01:35

Arthur {l Wrote}:Approval is done manually, so it can take some time before it happens.
(There should be some kind of system so moderators get notified about changes. Then the process would probably be bit faster.)

there already is one, just register to the add-ons mailing list :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hardwired » 02 Aug 2011, 09:34

All right - just fixed the Texture width and heights to meet the size criteria (512x128 ans 128x128 jpeg images) and uploaded to http://stkaddons.net/

Please approve the revision 2, ASAP... As I've already flagged the revision 2 as the latest (so it does not show as downloadable content)...

Anyone interested in improving the Kitty model?
hardwired

Postby hardwired » 03 Aug 2011, 08:34

Sorry guys but seems that I have done a screw up with the icon png file, and in that process I accidentally deleted it. I just uploaded the PNG file and it's waiting for approval (I guess).

Anyway I also noticed that Kitty has been unmarked as "featured" in the revision process. Does that mean that it does not meet the quality required, no more?

If that is so please leave some comments on what you think should be addressed (maybe someone will be able to improve on the character and kart)...
hardwired

Postby Auria » 04 Aug 2011, 00:48

Oops sorry, I accidentally removed the featured flag. I will add it back
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hardwired » 04 Aug 2011, 09:11

Thanks a lot! Sorry for being a PITA - I'll be more careful next time on the add-on site...
hardwired