Track: Grand Coastia (Work In Progress, feedback wanted)

Track: Grand Coastia (Work In Progress, feedback wanted)

Postby tempAnon093 » 10 Nov 2020, 01:46

A street race along a coastal harbour city. The track takes some loose inspiration from various Formula 1 Grand Prix tracks: Circuit de Monaco, the castle section of Baku and the Eau Rouge section of Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, as well as the Laguna Seca corkscrew.

inclined-s-bend.jpg

I've uploaded this new track in the add-ons for easy access. At the moment, I want people to test the track layout and suggest improvements or changes, suggestions and criticism. Changes now are easy, changes later are hard. I put this together in less than a day, so I'm sure it's not perfect!
Don't waste your time complaining that the houses and landscape are made of brown cubes ;) I will fix that once the route is decided and chuck some trees and vines in for a splash of green.

Known issues:
* Graphics lol
* Driveline is not tailored for AI, some can't turn the tightest corners properly

grand-coastia--not-complete--_map.png

Yes I know I have a problem finishing projects ;) I'm getting closer on Random Roads, might release a beta version next month.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Track: Grand Coastia (Work In Progress, feedback wanted)

Postby Alayan » 10 Nov 2020, 03:00

Quick feedback after a dozen of laps :
- When it comes to fun, I think it's nice if new tracks can include some dynamic elements and/or some ground zippers (which are often worthless for challenge but give a feeling of speed to noobs). This track has a different approach, as it's inspired by real car racing. I don't really mind it. That's more of a general message to track makers, we don't want only pure straight normal racing tracks. We can have some.
- This track is challenging, with many variations on how to use curves and height.
- The track felt really narrow. When driving alone, it's not too much of an issue, it mostly makes the track challenging, though noobs won't cope with it as easily as I did. It's much more of an issue when racing close to other karts. At the start, all AI karts would collide in a huge mess. Even with smarter human players, I think big collisions would be unavoidable.
- A very narrow track also makes it that much harder for newbies
- The start shouldn't be located just before difficult curves (be it in normal direction or reverse), some time should be left at the start for differentiation and to reduce the mess with collisions.
- It's way too easy to fall off-track, as currently nothing prevents it and you better know your rescue key. If this track is F1-inspired, then runoff areas with gravel that slows you down would be welcome in many places. Other spots could do with barriers. Very tight corner should not incentivize trying to cut them short, and should try to minimize the risk that a kart having an accident will block the path for oncoming karts.
- Changing collisions physics would help some but hurt others, as someone will have to lose time. No change should be needed there for the track to be playable.
- The AI being dumb in tight corners, on the other hand, is an AI issue. Track-specific hacks to make the AI less bad make future AI improvement more difficult and can't fix everything anyway. Make the track good for humans, make the drivequads match the truly drivable areas, and don't worry if the AI is dumb. If the track reaches the point where it has the graphics and gameplay quality for the main game, then you can be sure the AI will be worked on to handle this better.
- Signs warning about upcoming strong corners would be helpful. Experimented player might just rote learn the whole track, but it needs to not be overly frustrating for newbies.
- I've found there is very little places where the red drift is actually usable. Almost all the difficult corners are very short, so no drift or yellow drift are the only options, and the straights aren't favorable either.
- Very few safe areas for zippers, too.
- A secret path or two, in normal and in reverse, would be nice.
- In 2.0, I'm thinking of making the drift hop less OP for cornering. I think this would improve the gameplay on most current tracks, but it might make some of your corners even nastier... I don't think it's bad to have to brake at some points, but maybe making some of those corners wider would help both in regards to the collision issues and to not have these corners too nasty once the drift hop is nerfed.

My best lap (1 zipper) is a 52.708s in a heavy, quite far from perfect. Taking all the corners right without slowing down too much or crashing is not easy, need some memorization.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 10 Nov 2020, 07:01

Thanks for this!

Alayan {l Wrote}:I think it's nice if new tracks can include some dynamic elements and/or some ground zippers (which are often worthless for challenge but give a feeling of speed to noobs).

I think a few of the longer stretches could benefit from zippers, now that you mention them.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- The track felt really narrow. When driving alone, it's not too much of an issue, it mostly makes the track challenging, though noobs won't cope with it as easily as I did. It's much more of an issue when racing close to other karts. At the start, all AI karts would collide in a huge mess. Even with smarter human players, I think big collisions would be unavoidable.

I agree, I'll make most of the track wider.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- The start shouldn't be located just before difficult curves (be it in normal direction or reverse), some time should be left at the start for differentiation and to reduce the mess with collisions.

Good thinking, I should reorganize that section. I do want that long downhill onto a straight before the finish but the sharp corners there can be removed or moved.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- It's way too easy to fall off-track, as currently nothing prevents it and you better know your rescue key. If this track is F1-inspired, then runoff areas with gravel that slows you down would be welcome in many places. Other spots could do with barriers.

I forgot to explain that many pieces are missing, like sidewalks, and I haven't added almost any of the barriers I was meant to add. All the tight corners will have barriers once I'm sure of the layout, and it will also make those corners more visible. Widening the road will also help this. Spots of gravel or similar is a good idea.

Alayan {l Wrote}:Very tight corner should not incentivize trying to cut them short, and should try to minimize the risk that a kart having an accident will block the path for oncoming karts.

I'm guessing this will be a big issue for the track as it has many tight corners, I didn't really consider multiplayer. A couple of corners could be made less tight (like the one before the tunnel) and some of the others could be made wider.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- The AI being dumb in tight corners, on the other hand, is an AI issue. Track-specific hacks to make the AI less bad make future AI improvement more difficult and can't fix everything anyway. Make the track good for humans, make the drivequads match the truly drivable areas, and don't worry if the AI is dumb. If the track reaches the point where it has the graphics and gameplay quality for the main game, then you can be sure the AI will be worked on to handle this better.

Alright, good to know. It is worth mentioning on the X-Kart1 port track, I intentionally distorted the driveline of the first U-turn to make AI on SuperTux have half a chance at making it on the first lap, but it does ruin the reverse route a bit.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- Signs warning about upcoming strong corners would be helpful. Experimented player might just rote learn the whole track, but it needs to not be overly frustrating for newbies.

Great suggestion, will do.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- I've found there is very little places where the red drift is actually usable. Almost all the difficult corners are very short, so no drift or yellow drift are the only options, and the straights aren't favorable either.

With Tux, I was able to get 8 red drifts (no zipper, the second may be cheating, first one in tunnel was taken late so normally it isn't close to the wall). Granted, that took at least 15 tries.
I didn't design the course with red drifting in mind, so if you think that's a problem then it is. I just don't really have an expectation of red drifting as normal.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- Very few safe areas for zippers, too.

Good point. Some corners are thrown in for the sake of it, so maybe I shouldn't be scared of straight track.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- A secret path or two, in normal and in reverse, would be nice.

Agreed, there are some opportunities for that so I should definitely take advantage of it. A shortcut through the buildings would take skill to navigate.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- In 2.0, I'm thinking of making the drift hop less OP for cornering. I think this would improve the gameplay on most current tracks, but it might make some of your corners even nastier... I don't think it's bad to have to brake at some points, but maybe making some of those corners wider would help both in regards to the collision issues and to not have these corners too nasty once the drift hop is nerfed.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be making many of the corners wider for sure. The left-right corkscrew with the arch over it was intended so that it couldn't be cut and required two turns, so I might have to make it a bit easier for 2.0.

Alayan {l Wrote}:My best lap (1 zipper) is a 52.708s in a heavy, quite far from perfect. Taking all the corners right without slowing down too much or crashing is not easy, need some memorization.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Nice work. It might be a bit too hard so I'll focus on widening the track and making some of the corners less sharp or omitting them.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby fracture » 10 Nov 2020, 15:38

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:I've uploaded this new track in the add-ons for easy access.

I can't even find this track in the add-ons. You sure you uploaded it? Or maybe there's another addons repo that I should know about.
fracture

Postby tempAnon093 » 11 Nov 2020, 00:18

fracture {l Wrote}:I can't even find this track in the add-ons. You sure you uploaded it?

It's definitely there in-game. Sort by newest date and it should appear in red (unapproved).
It's hidden on the add-ons website until it gets approved,

Appreoved: https://online.supertuxkart.net/addons. ... complete--
Last edited by tempAnon093 on 11 Nov 2020, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby fracture » 11 Nov 2020, 01:17

I found it. Pathing is mostly good except for a few very sharp u-turns. Either widen the road or make the turns longer.
fracture

Postby tempAnon093 » 11 Nov 2020, 01:18

fracture {l Wrote}:I found it. Pathing is mostly good except for a few very sharp u-turns. Either widen the road or make the turns longer.

Widening those turns now, and I'm considering making some longer too. Thanks!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Alayan » 11 Nov 2020, 01:33

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Thanks for this!

Alayan {l Wrote}:I think it's nice if new tracks can include some dynamic elements and/or some ground zippers (which are often worthless for challenge but give a feeling of speed to noobs).

I think a few of the longer stretches could benefit from zippers, now that you mention them.

These stretches go by rather quickly, they wouldn't be so great for this.

Furthermore, this would remove some of the few spots where using the zipper item makes sense.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}:- I've found there is very little places where the red drift is actually usable. Almost all the difficult corners are very short, so no drift or yellow drift are the only options, and the straights aren't favorable either.

With Tux, I was able to get 8 red drifts (no zipper, the second may be cheating, first one in tunnel was taken late so normally it isn't close to the wall). Granted, that took at least 15 tries.
I didn't design the course with red drifting in mind, so if you think that's a problem then it is. I just don't really have an expectation of red drifting as normal.

Very short corners and straights both don't suit second tier drift, one high-speed corner or too is nicer for it.

It's a skill to manage to pull off red drifts in places that aren't friendly to it, but a narrow track with very demanding corners makes it more unfriendly to red drift than any standard track.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}:- In 2.0, I'm thinking of making the drift hop less OP for cornering. I think this would improve the gameplay on most current tracks, but it might make some of your corners even nastier... I don't think it's bad to have to brake at some points, but maybe making some of those corners wider would help both in regards to the collision issues and to not have these corners too nasty once the drift hop is nerfed.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be making many of the corners wider for sure. The left-right corkscrew with the arch over it was intended so that it couldn't be cut and required two turns, so I might have to make it a bit easier for 2.0.

I'm not asking you to make the challenging corners too easy, of course. Having to brake and making the corner entry more important is what makes the path interesting. If everything could be taken full speed or without being careful, it would take away from the challenge and character of the track.

Making the track slightly wider will probably be enough to compensate for the future drift hop nerf (the goal is to make cornering somewhat more challenging on most existing tracks). You don't have to make everywhere wider the same way, you can be more generous in some spots, and less in others (and even less for the secret path). Don't go too far in making the corners too easy !

Something else I noticed :
- If you take the interior of the curve that follows the "Monaco tunnel" while going fast, the kart is likely to take off and fly away.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 11 Nov 2020, 05:11

New revision:
- Much wider track almost everywhere
- Sidewalks (I'm intending for them to be a slight slowdown material)
- Most of the U-turns made wider
- Less tight corners near the start and end

I still haven't added any barriers to the sharp turns, they will be added.

Alayan {l Wrote}:These stretches go by rather quickly, they wouldn't be so great for this.

Furthermore, this would remove some of the few spots where using the zipper item makes sense.

Agreed.

Alayan {l Wrote}:It's a skill to manage to pull off red drifts in places that aren't friendly to it, but a narrow track with very demanding corners makes it more unfriendly to red drift than any standard track.

I have made the track wider but it still has many demanding corners, by design. I could try and add one or two red-drift corners to the final hill-top area if you want, but I personally don't mind that there are more slower sections than usual.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- If you take the interior of the curve that follows the "Monaco tunnel" while going fast, the kart is likely to take off and fly away.

The corner has now been adjusted, should no longer be a problem.

One thing I've noticed is that corner is completely blind in reverse mode. I will put a 'slow down ⮏' sign and add decorations like rocks and trees to show the shape of the road before you can see it.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby FabianF » 11 Nov 2020, 13:43

The turns are still way too sharp imo
FabianF

Postby George Calibur » 11 Nov 2020, 17:50

The last corner is bit tricky, AI are waiting around until, they made through it
The 90 degrees turns are damn and if anyone tries to make it, he need to slow down or else, he falls.
Some others are too Speedy and one of the last...just no
Attachments
Screenshot_20201111_184854.jpg
Minimap, if anyone is curious
Screenshot_20201111_184807_org.supertuxkart.stk.jpg
Screenshot_20201111_184746_org.supertuxkart.stk.jpg
Screenshot_20201111_184730_org.supertuxkart.stk.jpg
Screenshot_20201111_184706_org.supertuxkart.stk.jpg
George Calibur

Postby George Calibur » 11 Nov 2020, 17:53

On reverse is the same
Attachments
Screenshot_20201111_185201_org.supertuxkart.stk.jpg
George Calibur

Postby Alayan » 11 Nov 2020, 18:35

I almost have nostalgia for the first version of the track, the new one felt so much easier. I'm lapping 4-5s faster and am less likely to crash.

But it still has more "you must brake" corners than all STK official tracks together, and the first version was not suitable for multiplayer or casual players. You'll get complaints that having to brake somewhat is bad, don't worry about it and don't kill the soul of your track.

I noticed that the wider roads made zippers and red drifts viable in many more place.

A very interesting side effect of this track design is that different kart classes are much closer in time-trial than they are on most tracks, because light karts don't have to brake anywhere as much and reaccelerate faster. I still got a better time with a heavy than with a light kart, but having a "fast in corner, slow in straight" and "slow in corner, fast in straight" approach being competitive with each other is great.

However, there are two very annoying blind corners in reverse mode. The left corner after the uphill soon after the start, and the one you already noticed before the monaco tunnel. The main issue is the major gradient change. Even if you know the curves are coming, it's hard to adjust your steering/drifting properly, because you need rote learning to know the right timing, you can't just rely on visual feedback and general STK experience. A warning sign would help but wouldn't be enough, the gradient needs tweaking so that direct visibility happens earlier.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 12 Nov 2020, 01:14

FabianF {l Wrote}:The turns are still way too sharp imo

George Calibur {l Wrote}:The last corner is bit tricky, AI are waiting around until, they made through it
The 90 degrees turns are damn and if anyone tries to make it, he need to slow down or else, he falls.
Some others are too Speedy and one of the last...just no

I've explained in more detail below: some corners I agree are too much (the last one might be replaced entirely, the first U-turn will easier).
That said, there will always be one or two places that encourage slowing down. This will be a harder-than-normal track.
-
Alayan {l Wrote}:I almost have nostalgia for the first version of the track, the new one felt so much easier. I'm lapping 4-5s faster and am less likely to crash.

Haha I feel a little bit similar, it was more of a challenge before.

Like you hinted at, I am torn between keeping this track challenging and therefore more fun for me, and making it easier for people who gotta go fast (let's be honest, casual racing in kart games usually doesn't require braking). I think I can compromise a little more without losing the soul of the track. At the end of the day, I have no illusions that this will be a challenging add-on track. A few of the turns are not made for everyone, but it should only be one or two, that give incentive to learn them instead of giving up.
The final double U-turn should probably be turned into more of an S-bend. I'm not too attached to it. The left-into-U-turn close to the start is a bit harsh, I like the layout of it but I will make it easier (adding a straight between the two corners)

Alayan {l Wrote}:A very interesting side effect of this track design is that different kart classes are much closer in time-trial than they are on most tracks, because light karts don't have to brake anywhere as much and reaccelerate faster. I still got a better time with a heavy than with a light kart, but having a "fast in corner, slow in straight" and "slow in corner, fast in straight" approach being competitive with each other is great.

Good point, most of the core tracks are intentionally designed to anyone can drive at full speed, so heavy karts can take full advantage. This is a refreshing change from that.

Alayan {l Wrote}:A warning sign would help but wouldn't be enough, the gradient needs tweaking so that direct visibility happens earlier.

Honestly, I agree. I just love the way the kart smoothly exits after the Monaco tunnel in forward mode... I'll experiment with those two, thanks for pointing out the other one.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby QwertyChouskie » 12 Nov 2020, 02:08

You could always use scripting to change the curve based on direction, just create two objects and switch between them.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 12 Nov 2020, 03:29

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:You could always use scripting to change the curve based on direction, just create two objects and switch between them.

That's a good idea. As long as they're similar enough, the AI won't struggle on the reverse route.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Alayan » 12 Nov 2020, 05:51

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Haha I feel a little bit similar, it was more of a challenge before.

Like you hinted at, I am torn between keeping this track challenging and therefore more fun for me, and making it easier for people who gotta go fast (let's be honest, casual racing in kart games usually doesn't require braking). I think I can compromise a little more without losing the soul of the track. At the end of the day, I have no illusions that this will be a challenging add-on track. A few of the turns are not made for everyone, but it should only be one or two, that give incentive to learn them instead of giving up.
The final double U-turn should probably be turned into more of an S-bend. I'm not too attached to it. The left-into-U-turn close to the start is a bit harsh, I like the layout of it but I will make it easier (adding a straight between the two corners)

It may sound harsh, but people that struggle too much may have to consider using a lighter kart or dropping down the speed. With a light kart and if you don't get the speed boost from drifting, all corners but one can be negotiated in SuperTux without slowing down or drift hoping. With a heavy kart and drifting speed, you can still take the challenging curves really fast. Max speed + worst handling kart + challenging track isn't meant to be easy.

There are only 3 truly challenging corner section in the latest wider version, for an experimented player. The first U-turn because it follows shortly after a left-hander. The baku section, which can be taken at full speed but requires accuracy to do so. And the final S which requires smartly using the whole width of the road to keep as much speed as possible through the corner. All the others can be taken at full speed with little effort and very high reliability, in forward direction (in reverse, the monaco U-turn is hard because blind, in normal direction it's really easy to drift into. Meanwhile in reverse, the first U-turn becomes much easier because of the slope). I think the first U-turn could be tweaked to be more fun while still challenging, but if you nerf these 3 spots there is nothing left. And I was the first to say the v1 of the track was too technical.

I'm a keyboard player, in sim games not being able to soft-brake can be painful. But here, to take the corner, I don't even really need to brake, just letting off the throttle during the critical cornering moment is enough. I attached a 2m21s757 replay made with Amanda (heavy) on the v2 alpha of the track for demonstration. It is about 3s faster than a similar effort on a light kart, further nerfing of cornering would increase the heavy/medium advantage.

I've seen many people complain about Nintendo's MK Rainbow Roads, but if they just put barriers everywhere and there was no risk of falling, it would kill the point of the track. And I hate to bring MK up (and twice), but just search for "mario kart drift braking" or "200cc braking" and you'll see that people can be fine with some braking in a kart game.

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:You could always use scripting to change the curve based on direction, just create two objects and switch between them.

Seems like overengineering. I would suggest first trying to improve the curves the normal way, and only if it fails to consider something like this (but I don't think it would be needed in this case). I don't think that going up a steep slope that then quickly levels off is key to the experience in forward direction. A less steep slope that's longer and level off more gently would fix the issue with the blind corner.
Attachments
addon_grand-coastia--not-complete--_20201112_1_141_757.replay.zip
(109.22 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby XGhost » 12 Nov 2020, 19:57

Hey tempAnon093

Nice layout you have here. I played the initial version and the revision with the changes you made. I believe some parts have improved greatly, some others I liked better before.

There are only 3 truly challenging corner section in the latest wider version, for an experimented player.

As Alayan suggests too, I would keep those. From this three, the latest S was way too hard (for me at least) in the initial version of the track. It has now benefited a lot from the wider layout. For the others, I think the challenge is fine -> but you have a problem with sight and guidance. There are two sharp turns where I don't know how the road is laid out beforehand. Take a look at those screenshots (these are from the old version):

At two points in the race, I have a problem with sight and guidance which feels punishing:
grand_coastia_playtest1.jpg

grand_coastia_playtest2.jpg

See the curve itself is not the problem. However a player is unable to see what is happening and how the road behaves. This feels punishing; while the player maybe is capable of making these turns, they fail because of how sudden the layout reveals itself. I didn't expect a challenge where there is one. I think you'll be able to proper sign these spots, but consider also having a line of sight to the track layout before the first turn.

Next, my absolute favorite part of the track layout is now sadly worse in the revision than before. Have a look at this video: https://cloud.hoststar.ch/s/xP7prQcd7dz4eFt
The road in this section absolutely profits from being narrow. You made the track wider which was generally an improvement, except for this part. In the new track I can basically drive a straight line upwards, while with the more narrower layout I do have to adjust. And this part felt damn nice and was a lot of fun to play. It had the right balance. The curve before entering the tunnel was just perfect. It basically screamed "You should drift here!", and just before entering the tunnel, the player must change direction (with a drift hop or by leaving the curve drift early) to not fall down. Executed perfectly, you enter the tunnel nicely aligned with top speed and that feels pleasantly satisfying. In the clip on the second attempt, I took too much risk and barely made the turn on its outer edge, but without slowing down I will fall -> and it feels right.
grand_coastia_playtest3.jpg

If you had rails on the right side of the curve (red), you keep players aligned and slow those down who touch or brush it. Keeping then the fall intact on the right side is key in my opinion.

Other than that, I mostly agree with the things Alayan has already pointed out. The track layout is coming nicely together, keep it up, that's great work already! :)

Cheers
Julian
XGhost

Postby tempAnon093 » 13 Nov 2020, 00:32

Alayan {l Wrote}:There are only 3 truly challenging corner section in the latest wider version, for an experimented player. The first U-turn because it follows shortly after a left-hander. The baku section, which can be taken at full speed but requires accuracy to do so. And the final S which requires smartly using the whole width of the road to keep as much speed as possible through the corner. All the others can be taken at full speed with little effort and very high reliability, in forward direction (in reverse, the monaco U-turn is hard because blind, in normal direction it's really easy to drift into. Meanwhile in reverse, the first U-turn becomes much easier because of the slope). I think the first U-turn could be tweaked to be more fun while still challenging, but if you nerf these 3 spots there is nothing left. And I was the first to say the v1 of the track was too technical.

Agreed, I have no intention of nerfing the Baku section beyond increased visibility (a sign showing the curve shape) and the first U-turn definitely needs tweaking as mentioned. I now plan to keep the final S.

Alayan {l Wrote}:Seems like overengineering. I would suggest first trying to improve the curves the normal way, and only if it fails to consider something like this (but I don't think it would be needed in this case). I don't think that going up a steep slope that then quickly levels off is key to the experience in forward direction. A less steep slope that's longer and level off more gently would fix the issue with the blind corner.

I'll try and fix the corner before trying any script-based solutions.

XGhost {l Wrote}:I think the challenge is fine -> but you have a problem with sight and guidance. There are two sharp turns where I don't know how the road is laid out beforehand.

Definitely.
That tight left-right is definitely blind. I plan to put a sign up showing the curve but I think the tight archway aesthetic I want makes visibility hard.
As for the sign, I was thinking of a road sign, but to make it more obvious I could have a large hanging banner on the wall to fit the theme more. Something like this.
addon_grand-coastia--not-complete---2020.11.13_10.03.jpg

The first U-turn will be modified so that there is some straight track after the 90° left turn.
I think you're right with your favourite section, I can make that section thinner again, and I do intend to put railings on the outside corner. What do you suggest for the inside? My original plan was to have a rough rocky strong slowdown surface to penalize cutting the corner, but I could have a railing there to stop cutting it entirely.
grand_coastia_playtest3.jpg
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Alayan » 15 Nov 2020, 06:52

I made a video showcasing gameplay on the latest public WIP version of Grand Coastia : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RoYwy4Qgl0&lc

It was rather enjoyable to improve execution and taking the time down.The medium kart can go really fast even in the most difficult corners, but there is very little margin for error when going all-in like this.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 20 Nov 2020, 03:25

I'll submit a new version in the next few days. I've added some guard-rails (they will look better in the end of, course), added more straight track before the first hairpin, rearranged the mountain top section to reduce blind corners, and made the snakey uphill part thinner.
I've made a map labelling some corners for easy reference, although the names are a little bit cheesy so I won't mind if we ignore it ;)

Alayan {l Wrote}:I made a video showcasing gameplay on the latest public WIP version of Grand Coastia : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RoYwy4Qgl0

Great work! An exciting finish too. It's good to confirm that it's a fun track to improve on.
Attachments
names.png
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tempAnon093 » 21 Nov 2020, 10:24

Revision 3:
- added items/nitro/bananas
- added some guard-rails (they will look better in the end of, course)
- added a little bit more straight track before the first hairpin
- rearranged the mountain top section to reduce blind corners
- made the snakey uphill part thinner

There's a good blend of fast tight corners and long straights that make all the karts competitive, especially in race mode.
A lightweight and medium kart time trial: (more tries were given to the lightweight kart)
https://peertube.linuxrocks.online/vide ... c2acacbbb8
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tempAnon093 » 23 Feb 2021, 02:03

Revision 4
From memory, this has mostly graphical improvements since the main driveline isn't likely to change much anymore.
Major changes are:
- Added sidewalk material
- Added the first few buildings (Venitian houses)
- Added more natural materials like grass, rock, plants and sand
- Driveline fix on hairpin
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tlbomb » 20 Mar 2021, 09:55

This could actually be a nice track, once it's finished. It is already fun to race. I think that this track should be added to the main tracks if it has got nice graphic design.
I really appreciate the work of (track-) designing and modelling. ;)
With worst regards you can think of... No, I was just sarcastic *cough*
With BEST regards,
tlbomb
tlbomb

Location: Actually... just somewhere in the universe. Ask Mr. Beeblebrox for further information.

Postby tempAnon093 » 22 Mar 2021, 11:42

tlbomb {l Wrote}:This could actually be a nice track, once it's finished. It is already fun to race. I think that this track should be added to the main tracks if it has got nice graphic design.
I really appreciate the work of (track-) designing and modelling. ;)

Thanks! I'm very glad to hear that you appreciate the work :)
I definitely designed it to be fun to race, with challenging turns and a nice theme. I doubt it will get to the main tracks simply because there are some very difficult turns (the U-turns and blind corner near the water) that might be too challenging for beginners to put in the main, especially since the AI karts can't do the U-turns properly yet.
With that said, it will probably become a featured track add-on once I have time to make it look good with proper houses.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093