Track: Toy Block Raceway

Re: Track: Toy Block Raceway

Postby RX1 » 03 Aug 2020, 15:25

I am using Kubuntu 18.04 LTS (64-bit, Kernel 4.15.0.106 generic)
RX1

Postby Serano » 05 Aug 2020, 07:14

A very cool Track. Only thing missing is an appropriate song for it. ;)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby benau » 05 Aug 2020, 09:15

It's fixes in latest git, let me see if i have time to Image binary for you
benau
STK Moderator

Postby RX1 » 05 Aug 2020, 09:41

Thanks! :)
I had mostly positive feedback from online players, too.

For revision 3, I want to...
  • find a better song
  • remove some bananas in CTF mode
  • add more direction pointers (for people who think they don't need to follow the main track :?)
  • (experiment with lower polycount models for certain tunnel segments and the cone trees for distant rendering)

I just hope that the stacked movable issue will be fixed in v1.2 final release. I'm going to check if that issue appears on other systems, too. I can also test Windows and Android here. If it persists I have to make the offline versions of the track equal to networking version (without most of the movables and different obstacles), which would be sad because the movables are a major fun factor at this track.
RX1

Postby Typhon » 05 Aug 2020, 14:05

RX1 {l Wrote}:For revision 3, I want to...
  • find a better song

I changed the music of your track by manual editing and I chose this music:
https://jacobspctuneup.tk/STK/Music/trailer_idea1.ogg
Typhon

Postby RX1 » 05 Aug 2020, 16:39

Typhon {l Wrote}:
RX1 {l Wrote}:For revision 3, I want to...
  • find a better song

I changed the music of your track by manual editing and I chose this music:
https://jacobspctuneup.tk/STK/Music/trailer_idea1.ogg

Thanks Typhon for your suggestion. Running at a speed of 1.25, this one is actually quite nice. But I think the loop is a little too short, considering the big Egg Hunt challange or endurance races, where you stay on the track for more than 10 minutes. I saved the song and will keep it in mind.
RX1

Postby RX1 » 05 Aug 2020, 16:44

benau {l Wrote}:It's fixes in latest git, let me see if i have time to Image binary for you

So you have fixed the issue already? That's great! :D
RX1

Postby QwertyChouskie » 05 Aug 2020, 19:19

Miniature Motoring by OzoneOne (https://jacobspctuneup.tk/STK/Music/motoring.ogg) might be a good song choice here. :)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tux_peng » 07 Aug 2020, 20:31

Latest GIT, seems like a good track, the moveable items seem stack fine here
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
5.7.12-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:38:22 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

PS-- can't comment of if RC1 works here, doesn't even shart
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Assertion failure at LINUX_JoystickOpen (/home/Dokumenty/programowanie/supertuxkart/supertuxkart-git/dependencies-linux-64bit/sdl2/src/joystick/linux/SDL_sysjoystick.c:841), triggered 1 time:
  'item->hwdata == ((void *)0)
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby RX1 » 16 Sep 2020, 00:25

Hello again,

like mentioned before I updated the track again.
First of all, great thanks again to benau for quickly fixing the movable issue! :D :cool: :D In release 1.2 the stacked movables are at least as stable as in version 1.1.

Things I have done for revision 3:
  • I removed lots of bananas in CTF mode, to make the track easier to play and to lower polycount to increase online performance.
  • I added more direction pointers and closed some more gaps in the track border (in a direction specific way) to make the support roads less visible and accessible. Anyway, if some players still believe they have to leave the race track and search for shortcuts, there isn't much I can do about it. I guess that's just part of the game.
  • To further lower the polycount for better networking performance (offline play never has been an issue here) I created LOD models for certain trees and tunnel blocks. This decreases polycount by about 1/4 of the previous version. I also made LOD models for the big smiley ball, which appears in networking version only. But I forgot that the ball location is direction specific (scripted). So I can't use the LOD models because it has to be object type. :|

Currently the only task that is still open is "find a better song".
Thanks again for the songs suggested here. Unfortunately I have not found anything, that really matches my expectations, yet. I'm still looking for a fast paced, happy song. I've been search for "fast" and "funny / happy / cheering" songs on http://www.opengameart.org a lot. I found lots of other cool tracks for possible future projects, but nothing in that particular style. So I think I may end up in just changing the song to "Klabauter Dance" (the song of the standard light house track), which is a very nice song in my opinion.

Best regards
RX1
RX1

Postby QwertyChouskie » 16 Sep 2020, 05:00

Did you listen to Miniature Motoring as linked a couple of posts up? I believe the link may have been broken at the time, but it's working now. IMO it fits the parameters you are looking for quite well (it was created for a successor to Oliver's Math Class which was never released, so therefore fits the theme of this track quite nicely IMO).
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby RX1 » 16 Sep 2020, 11:03

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:Did you listen to Miniature Motoring as linked a couple of posts up? I believe the link may have been broken at the time, but it's working now. IMO it fits the parameters you are looking for quite well (it was created for a successor to Oliver's Math Class which was never released, so therefore fits the theme of this track quite nicely IMO).

Yes, I did listen and the song is good. But with online game play in mind, which I think is the furture of STK, it is too slow / calm in my opinion. I experienced that about 95 % of all online races are played at supertux speed. In expert and supertux mode the Toy Block Raceway track is fast with rapid turns and requires quick reactions. That's why I think it needs a faster paced song.
RX1

Postby RX1 » 21 Sep 2020, 15:56

I think I might use one of these songs:
https://opengameart.org/content/funny-chase-8-bit-chiptune (even though it is a chiptune)
https://opengameart.org/content/runaround (looped from 0:11 to 1:56)

What do you think?
RX1

Postby QwertyChouskie » 26 Sep 2020, 04:58

"Runaround" seems like a nice fit for the theme of the track.
QwertyChouskie

Postby RX1 » 26 Sep 2020, 23:22

I tried both songs and also liked the second one better for this tracks, too. Looping it wasn't that easy, but I figured it out and now it loops quite perfectly. I also made a faster version for the last lap. Somehow in very rare occasions the loop stops and there is no music until the end or the race. I usually don't have STK music activated, so I wonder if that is a common glitch or if there is a problem with the .music or .ogg files?

I made a video of a four laps single player run, that shows some of the the different lines around course and the funny things you can do:
https://rjotz.uber.space/sc/index.php/s/6gEfDgMJNigPTDQ
If the server is too slow, just save it and watch it locally.
RX1

Postby QwertyChouskie » 26 Sep 2020, 23:45

I've also had the music not play on various tracks, but at least on my systems it's extremely rare. Probably some obscure race condition or something.
QwertyChouskie

Postby gubengiau » 30 Oct 2020, 23:43

Thanks RX1 for making ths track. It is my favourite add-on. I liked the playground setup and I enjoyed the alternative paths.

However, I felt that the egg-hunt mode was quite challenging, though this is a great track with many secret places to hide the eggs. I tried once but I could only get around 20 eggs. Some eggs were on the guardrails and I tried to descend from a higher place carefully. Sometimes I ran into an odd position that automatically triggered the resetting which was quite annoying. Also I had to keep U-turning to take the speed-boosting uphills in order to fly to the roof. This made me feel dizzy and I had to give up.

I was wondedering if someone could share a walkthrough video or give some tips on the egg-hunt mode. Thanks.
gubengiau

Postby RX1 » 01 Nov 2020, 12:51

gubengiau {l Wrote}:Thanks RX1 for making ths track. It is my favourite add-on. I liked the playground setup and I enjoyed the alternative paths.

Thank you gubengiau. :) I'm really glad you like our track.

Also lots of thanks to STK staff for giving featured tag to our track!

gubengiau {l Wrote}:I was wondedering if someone could share a walkthrough video or give some tips on the egg-hunt mode. Thanks.

I actually wanted to make a video of how to get all 42 eggs in under 15 minutes, by recording the replay of a ghost. But it seems like STK currently doesn't allow to load and watch egg hunt ghosts (like time trial ghosts). So I have to record during the actual run, which slows down the game here. I found a better screen recording software recently, though. So I will have another try and put a link into this forum soon.
RX1

Postby QwertyChouskie » 01 Nov 2020, 23:13

If you are on Linux, SimpleScreenRecorder's OpenGL capture mode has a very small performance impact, definitely worth trying.
QwertyChouskie

Postby Alayan » 02 Nov 2020, 00:54

RX1 {l Wrote}:I actually wanted to make a video of how to get all 42 eggs in under 15 minutes, by recording the replay of a ghost. But it seems like STK currently doesn't allow to load and watch egg hunt ghosts (like time trial ghosts). So I have to record during the actual run, which slows down the game here. I found a better screen recording software recently, though. So I will have another try and put a link into this forum soon.

Egg hunt replay work just fine.

But 15 minutes is over the maximum time for a replay, I think.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby gubengiau » 02 Nov 2020, 19:30

RX1 {l Wrote}:I actually wanted to make a video of how to get all 42 eggs in under 15 minutes, by recording the replay of a ghost. But it seems like STK currently doesn't allow to load and watch egg hunt ghosts (like time trial ghosts). So I have to record during the actual run, which slows down the game here. I found a better screen recording software recently, though. So I will have another try and put a link into this forum soon.

Thanks RX1. That would be appreciated. :D
gubengiau

Postby RX1 » 10 Nov 2020, 00:08

Sorry for the delay. I had some hardware related issues here.
Here is the promised spoiler / walkthrough video for the easter egg challange.

https://rjotz.uber.space/sc/index.php/s/pYfF3pYmPa899wH
Save and watch it locally if the server is too slow.

I used SimpleScreenRecorder to record the video and kdenlive to cut and comment it.

Have fun!
RX1

Postby gubengiau » 17 Nov 2020, 18:31

RX1 {l Wrote}:Sorry for the delay. I had some hardware related issues here.
Here is the promised spoiler / walkthrough video for the easter egg challange.

https://rjotz.uber.space/sc/index.php/s/pYfF3pYmPa899wH
Save and watch it locally if the server is too slow.

I used SimpleScreenRecorder to record the video and kdenlive to cut and comment it.

Have fun!

Thanks RX1, that is really helpful. I missed many eggs on the mountain. And the idea of using the effect of a bomb to get the egg on the tree is amazing. I'll give another shot.
gubengiau

Postby kimden » 08 May 2021, 10:10

Alayan {l Wrote}:But 15 minutes is over the maximum time for a replay, I think.

If someone wondered too how to change it, open stk_config.xml, find <replay max-frames="12000" (...)> and change it to a bigger number. 18 fps seems to be around maximum for replays from what I saw, so for an hour 70k should be enough.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby RX1 » 24 Jun 2021, 19:48

kimden {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}:But 15 minutes is over the maximum time for a replay, I think.

If someone wondered too how to change it, open stk_config.xml, find <replay max-frames="12000" (...)> and change it to a bigger number. 18 fps seems to be around maximum for replays from what I saw, so for an hour 70k should be enough.

Thanks a lot for this hint! :)
Actually see I no reason why the default value shouldn't be much higher than 10 minutes (for example 60 minutes). Compared to real video recordings the replays still are tiny.

By the way, congratulations for your sub-15 min run at the Egg Hunt challange (https://stk.kimden.online/public/replay ... 8_8.replay)! :cool:
RX1