Mountain Lane (new track idea)

Re: Mountain Lane (new track idea)

Postby horace » 27 Jan 2010, 01:13

scripts -> animation -> bake constraints. i think it does exactly what you need. it converts constraints like "follow path" to location/rotation ipos.
horace

Postby DanielT » 27 Jan 2010, 17:07

horace {l Wrote}:scripts -> animation -> bake constraints. i think it does exactly what you need. it converts constraints like "follow path" to location/rotation ipos.

Thank you very much, that worked! Strangely the script adds an offset to the object's x and y position while converting, so I have to translate the IPO curves a little bit, but at least it works pretty well.

Motivated by this I tried out the turning plate. I added it to the track, animated it and gave it the type "object" and the interaction "static". For shape I used "coneZ", because that results in a nice plate with an object with a height of 0. In the game I can see my plate turning nicely and I can even drive onto it without a problem. But there it ends. You stand on the turning plate and you can see it rotate below your wheels, but it doesn't affect the kart the tiniest bit. The only effect I believed to recognize is a speed up of the kart while driving on it.
DanielT

Postby hiker » 27 Jan 2010, 23:01

DanielT {l Wrote}:
horace {l Wrote}:scripts -> animation -> bake constraints. i think it does exactly what you need. it converts constraints like "follow path" to location/rotation ipos.

Thank you very much, that worked! Strangely the script adds an offset to the object's x and y position while converting, so I have to translate the IPO curves a little bit, but at least it works pretty well.

Great - that saves me quite a bit of time!

Motivated by this I tried out the turning plate. I added it to the track, animated it and gave it the type "object" and the interaction "static". For shape I used "coneZ", because that results in a nice plate with an object with a height of 0. In the game I can see my plate turning nicely and I can even drive onto it without a problem. But there it ends. You stand on the turning plate and you can see it rotate below your wheels, but it doesn't affect the kart the tiniest bit. The only effect I believed to recognize is a speed up of the kart while driving on it.

That's pretty much what I expected: the rotating shape does not really rotate, it 'jumps' from frame to frame, and so does not affect the kart at all. Could you post the .blend file here, then I can have a look if this can be supported.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby horace » 27 Jan 2010, 23:06

the rotation platform would have to be a physics object (cylinder) with a motor. like mentioned many times already, animation and physics don't mix well.
horace

Postby hiker » 28 Jan 2010, 00:11

horace {l Wrote}:the rotation platform would have to be a physics object (cylinder) with a motor. like mentioned many times already, animation and physics don't mix well.

More precisely: the rotation platform is a kinematic physics body, and it has to become a dynamic rigid body (which means we have to add constraints so that it stays where it is, adding a motor for the rotation) - but as I've said: I can work on that. I am thinking of supporting a simple rotation around one axis, or translation (perhaps moving left/right or so).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby COOLTUX345 » 01 Feb 2010, 20:42

Please finish it so I can play it in 0.7!
Windows rocks and Linux stinks, but Tux is still cool!
COOLTUX345