My STK projects

Re: My STK projects

Postby QwertyChouskie » 01 Jan 2023, 05:10

BTW, any chance I could get a copy of the source blend for the latest revision? I want to poke around with some stuff.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 01 Jan 2023, 12:09

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:BTW, any chance I could get a copy of the source blend for the latest revision? I want to poke around with some stuff.

Sure I'm not at home currently, but once I'm back I can sent you the file.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 04 Jan 2023, 00:55

Typhon {l Wrote}:
SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Does anyone know if/how it,s possible to use the "visible if" option in the object properties for that?

You might want to look at the scripting.as files included in some tracks (like e.g. OMC). I don't know whether this is possible to make it depending on difficulty, but since it works with reverse/not reverse and gamemode.

Yep, we added that to scripting in 2020. Docs: https://doxygen.supertuxkart.net/group_ ... a4af33f8ac
Track::getDifficulty() will return a number, where 0 is Novice, 1 is Intermediate, 2 is Expert, 3 is SuperTux.

For example: (calculates if 'difficulty number is equal to 3', which is true or false)
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
bool isDifficultySuperTux(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Track::getDifficulty() == 3;
}

You could also use other comparison operators. The first returns true if the difficulty is less than Expert, the other is checking if it's equal or more than Expert. I'd recommend doing this instead of something like 'is not equal to SuperTux', for the sake of easier maintainence if someone makes a mod with more difficulty levels or something.
bool isDifficultyLessThanExpert(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Track::getDifficulty() < 2;
}

bool isDifficultyExpertOrGreater(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Track::getDifficulty() >= 2;
}
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 07 Jan 2023, 16:56

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Yep, we added that to scripting in 2020. Docs: https://doxygen.supertuxkart.net/group_ ... a4af33f8ac
Track::getDifficulty() will return a number, where 0 is Novice, 1 is Intermediate, 2 is Expert, 3 is SuperTux.

For example: (calculates if 'difficulty number is equal to 3', which is true or false)
{
}

You could also use other comparison operators. The first returns true if the difficulty is less than Expert, the other is checking if it's equal or more than Expert. I'd recommend doing this instead of something like 'is not equal to SuperTux', for the sake of easier maintainence if someone makes a mod with more difficulty levels or something.
bool isDifficultyLessThanExpert(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Track::getDifficulty() < 2;
}

bool isDifficultyExpertOrGreater(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Track::getDifficulty() >= 2;
}

Thank you :) I just got to test it, and even I got it to work ;)
I'm not exactly sure what's the best way to make it work with mods as well.
Usually when I will use this I want only one specific object for every difficulty. So my idea would be to use: "<=0" for novice, ">=3" for supertux and "==" for the other 2 difficulties.
That should work with mods right? Or is it possible to have difficulties with numbers like: 2.5 ? Maybe you know a solution for this, if it's possible.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 08 Jan 2023, 10:32

Note: honestly if it works it works, don't worry much about this. I doubt STK will add or remove difficulties, and even if they do it's very easy to fix scripting. This is mostly just me deciding the 'most correct' way to do it. ;)

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Usually when I will use this I want only one specific object for every difficulty. So my idea would be to use: "<=0" for novice, ">=3" for supertux and "==" for the other 2 difficulties.

For that case, if each is designed for a specific difficulty, I'd use == for all.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Or is it possible to have difficulties with numbers like: 2.5 ?

The current scripting function getDifficulty() declares it will only returns whole numbers (`int`), so I wouldn't worry about that. Good thinking though!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 12 Jan 2023, 00:15

Alright, here is another small update of the newFortmagma Track.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq2bdnctr15l6 ... 9.zip?dl=0

This update mostly contains fixes:

- added rescue planes on places they were missing.
- corrected the driveline so karts will no longer be reset into objects in the broken road section (works forward and reverse). Please let me know if there are still any problems with that.
- and some new 3D objects at the start, and the broken road section.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 20 Jan 2023, 14:20

Hi I have another question regarding the "visible if" options.

Is it possible to use multiple factors at the same time? Like "isTrackReverse" and "isDifficultySupertux"

My current problem is the following: I adjusted the speed of the spike balls to fit the selected difficulty , that works fine.
But if you drive the track in reverse there is a spike ball right at the entrance and the player can be hit instantly with very little chances to avoid the spikeball, so I want to change the positons of the spike balls but only for reverse and keep the different speeds for the difficulties.

Any tips or ideas? :)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 20 Jan 2023, 22:06

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Is it possible to use multiple factors at the same time? Like "isTrackReverse" and "isDifficultySupertux"

Certainly! What you're been doing in the file is defining functions (bits of code that take input and give output) that your track is checking to decide if it's visible, based on if the output is true or false. You can define a new function that just runs the code for both questions, or better yet, just use the functions you already defined.

I'm using a 'Boolean operator' (Boolean logic is just logic based on 'true' and 'false'). The only real trick is knowing that 'or' is 'inclusive or' (true when either or both options are true, "I have allergies, does this food have nuts or egg?"), and 'xor' is 'exclusive or' (true when one but not both options are true, "You can have a blue shirt or a red shirt."). In other code, you may see And, Or, Not and Xor using the symbols & , | , ! and ^.

I'm assuming you already have these two! Don't add them again, just check their names match the one we're adding.
{
}
bool isTrackReverse(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Track::isReverse();
}

Use this to get their true/false ('bool') outputs and check both are true, returning the result
bool isTrackReverseAndDifficultySuperTux(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return (isTrackReverse(obj) and isDifficultySuperTux(obj));
}
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 21 Jan 2023, 03:05

Thank you! :D

Was a bit of work to set up everything but now it's working perfectly :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opnl3n05rvypk ... 0.zip?dl=0

Every difficulty is now balanced for foward and reverse races.

If anyone notices any issues, or thinks the speed balance should be improved let me know. ;)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby Polo10 » 07 Apr 2023, 20:29

Hi sven,
Have you recently upgraded New Fort Magma a bit?
Polo10

Postby Polo10 » 07 Apr 2023, 20:30

Finally, did you have the time?
Polo10

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 07 Apr 2023, 23:26

Polo10 {l Wrote}:Hi sven,
Have you recently upgraded New Fort Magma a bit?

I have mostly been working on other things, and I also didn't have that much time recently.

There are very few changes in my current version so it will take a little bit before I post the next update :)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 16 Apr 2023, 03:06

Another update of the new Fortmagma track ;)

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp5ojjqkfnoeh ... 1.zip?dl=0

I have started to really plan out the section trough the castle (the alternate path to going trough the factory section).

Would like to know thoughts about the gameplay and balance of that part. :)

There are also a lot of small graphical improvements which are not very noticeable.

The following things are planned for the section through the castle:

- the first room you enter (the one with the many chairs) will become the dining room
- the section after that were you drop down to the right will be a small prison wing
- if you go straight instead of dropping down, you will enter what will become nolok's treasure chamber

I have not exactly planned how those roads will all connect again, but it won't be far of from the way it is right now.

newfortmagma-2023.04.15_06.30.20.jpg
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby Polo10 » 16 Apr 2023, 12:26

Hello Sven,

Great track! I love your work!

I haven't figured out all the paths yet, but I'll look into it.

I don't know the story mode for version 2.0 but I'm thinking you could include a prison at a place with GNU in it knowing that it's the final race.

Have a nice day !!!
Polo10

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 17 Apr 2023, 20:54

Polo10 {l Wrote}:I don't know the story mode for version 2.0 but I'm thinking you could include a prison at a place with GNU in it knowing that it's the final race.

I had the same idea STK could really use some easter eggs like that!

Would be really cool if he would only be in there in the final race before you beat the story mode. And not after that since the whole purpose of story mode is to free him.

@tempAnon093 Do you know if it's possible to use scripting to check if the player has completed the story mode yet?
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby eltomito » 18 Apr 2023, 10:06

I played the latest version of New Fort Magma and I love it! The new path to the right is coming along well and everything looks great. I have a few comments:

1) Somebody said that the track was too easy for the final challenge of the game. When I play it against 8 AI karts, it isn't easy at all. Maybe Nolok could clone himself for the final fight and you'd have to race against 8 Nolok clones?

2) The swinging balls are still easier to evade on Supertux than on Expert level. I was thinking that if you removed the road zippers for Supertux, it could make it much harder.

3) Could there be some ups and downs in the new track section after the sharp turn to the right? Maybe it's just me but I don't like flat tracks, because you can't see where the next turn is going very well.
eltomito

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 18 Apr 2023, 20:25

eltomito {l Wrote}:1) Somebody said that the track was too easy for the final challenge of the game. When I play it against 8 AI karts, it isn't easy at all. Maybe Nolok could clone himself for the final fight and you'd have to race against 8 Nolok clones?

Well as a good player every race a gainst AI is really easy. From what I've heard from other players and from my own testing and racing with friends I believe that the track itself has a good difficulty.
I really hope that someone will take the effort to improve the AI for 2.0 but I don't know if anyone is interested in doing so.

eltomito {l Wrote}:2) The swinging balls are still easier to evade on Supertux than on Expert level. I was thinking that if you removed the road zippers for Supertux, it could make it much harder.

I think overall it's balanced fairly well, maybe I will take another look a t this but I think it's already pretty good.

eltomito {l Wrote}:3) Could there be some ups and downs in the new track section after the sharp turn to the right? Maybe it's just me but I don't like flat tracks, because you can't see where the next turn is going very well.

Hmm, I understand that, but I think it will be hard to really work with elevation in that part of the track, if you really don't like flat tracks you will probably have to take the route through the factory ;)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 28 Apr 2023, 06:14

Hi guys I'm here with another small update of the new Fortmagma track.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifwbh0hej7png ... 2.zip?dl=0
newfortmagma-2023.04.28_06.46.45.jpg

I started to model the prison and treasure section.

newfortmagma-2023.04.28_06.39.30.jpg
The prison section is basically finished I might add some small details, like spider webs or things like that.

newfortmagma-2023.04.28_06.47.22.jpg
The trasure chamber will be decorated a bit more and maybe some larger shapes will be adjusted as well. But I already like how it looks right now.

I also added some arrow signs in some places to make the driving a bit easier, let me know if there are more places were I should add them.

The lighting is a bit brighter now, not sure if I want to keep it that way, but it might make sense for better visibillity.

And some more fixes:
- a checkline issue got fixed
- the hitbox of the spike balls is a bit smaller now (still a little bit bigger than their real shape but in my testing an even smaller hitbox made them way to easy to dogde)
- slightly tuned the zippers in that section as well, giving them a litle higher max speed
- slightly reduced the slodown after the broken bridge jump in the lava cave

I haven't fixed the shortcut/turnskip right after the broken bridge jump in the lava cave.
To me it seems to be a bit risky and not that much faster so I don't really mind it. I might take another look at that if it seems to be clearly better than the normal road.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby fracture » 28 Apr 2023, 16:29

eltomito {l Wrote}:1) Somebody said that the track was too easy for the final challenge of the game. When I play it against 8 AI karts, it isn't easy at all. Maybe Nolok could clone himself for the final fight and you'd have to race against 8 Nolok clones?

I do sort of agree the track is a little easy for a final challenge, but it's probably too late for Sven to make any big changes at this point so the AI will have to be made harder though like he said nobody is interested in doing that.

I've tested this track many times and it would be one of the more difficult tracks in the game, but it isn't harder than Minigolf of XR591. The final track should be an ultimate test of skill, something that tests the player's ability to use items and nitro, avoid bananas, make sharp turns, skidding, and braking (Minigolf is the only official track I can think of that requires braking to make a turn). New Fort Magma doesn't feel like that, but the layout is far more interesting than the current Fort Magma.

Currently, Nolok cheats in the final race and it's still easier than most other challenges in the game. The entire story mode is the worst thing about this game.
fracture

Postby QwertyChouskie » 29 Apr 2023, 06:51

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Hi guys I'm here with another small update of the new Fortmagma track.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifwbh0hej7png ... 2.zip?dl=0
newfortmagma-2023.04.28_06.46.45.jpg

I started to model the prison and treasure section.

newfortmagma-2023.04.28_06.39.30.jpg

newfortmagma-2023.04.28_06.47.22.jpg

I also added some arrow signs in some places to make the driving a bit easier, let me know if there are more places were I should add them.

The lighting is a bit brighter now, not sure if I want to keep it that way, but it might make sense for better visibillity.

And some more fixes:
- a checkline issue got fixed
- the hitbox of the spike balls is a bit smaller now (still a little bit bigger than their real shape but in my testing an even smaller hitbox made them way to easy to dogde)
- slightly tuned the zippers in that section as well, giving them a litle higher max speed
- slightly reduced the slodown after the broken bridge jump in the lava cave

I haven't fixed the shortcut/turnskip right after the broken bridge jump in the lava cave.
To me it seems to be a bit risky and not that much faster so I don't really mind it. I might take another look at that if it seems to be clearly better than the normal road.

The way the brick and wall textures are currently scaled the the sections screenshotted above, the bricks currently are about 1.5x times the length of a kart. STK's tracks tend to have a bit of a "bigger than life" aspect to them, but these bits in particular feel a bit unnatural compared to the rest of the track. (Also, scaling them up this much results in a more noticeably blurry texture.)

Otherwise, things are looking quite nice! It'd be really nice to move the Gnu freeing from prison cutscene to the new prison room, it would make it both look much better, and fit logically. A script that has a desperately-waving Gnu in one of the cells if you haven't beaten Nolok yet would be a nice touch too ;)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby fracture » 29 Apr 2023, 16:26

I've tested the latest version of this track with the Nolok AI to see how it does and it's worse than the original Fort Magma because Nolok gets stuck during the broken bridge section creating an endless loop of the AI falling and being rescued.
fracture

Postby Polo10 » 29 Apr 2023, 18:44

Hello everybody,
How do you put the new Fort magma track in place of the other one in the story mode so I can test it too?
Have a nice day !!!
Polo10

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 29 Apr 2023, 23:34

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:The way the brick and wall textures are currently scaled the the sections screenshotted above, the bricks currently are about 1.5x times the length of a kart. STK's tracks tend to have a bit of a "bigger than life" aspect to them, but these bits in particular feel a bit unnatural compared to the rest of the track. (Also, scaling them up this much results in a more noticeably blurry texture.)

Otherwise, things are looking quite nice! It'd be really nice to move the Gnu freeing from prison cutscene to the new prison room, it would make it both look much better, and fit logically. A script that has a desperately-waving Gnu in one of the cells if you haven't beaten Nolok yet would be a nice touch too ;)

You are right, I'm gonna upscale them a bit.

I think after I finish some of my projects I will take a look at the cutscenens/story mode graphics in general.

fracture {l Wrote}:I've tested the latest version of this track with the Nolok AI to see how it does and it's worse than the original Fort Magma because Nolok gets stuck during the broken bridge section creating an endless loop of the AI falling and being rescued.

Did he always get stuck? To me that only rarely happens.

But that problem has to be fixed anyways in order to inlude this track into the game. Some sort of manual respawn point system is needed for 2.0

Polo10 {l Wrote}:Hello everybody,
How do you put the new Fort magma track in place of the other one in the story mode so I can test it too?
Have a nice day !!!

You can probably edit the challenges. When I tested it I just renamed the track and track folder to fortmagma. (you have to also rename the original in that case tho, and don't forget to change it back before you play online!)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby QwertyChouskie » 30 Apr 2023, 07:34

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:But that problem has to be fixed anyways in order to inlude this track into the game. Some sort of manual respawn point system is needed for 2.0

Look at how the tutorial track handles it, I think it has something to do with the drivequads but not sure off the top of my head.
QwertyChouskie

Postby Polo10 » 30 Apr 2023, 07:42

Hello everybody,
Ok very thanks for your answer!
Have a nice day !
Polo10