My STK projects

Re: My STK projects

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 30 Apr 2023, 07:52

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:
SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:But that problem has to be fixed anyways in order to inlude this track into the game. Some sort of manual respawn point system is needed for 2.0

Look at how the tutorial track handles it, I think it has something to do with the drivequads but not sure off the top of my head.

The tutorial track actually uses battles start positions as respawn points, but that doesn't work for tracks.
In normal tracks they will be used as start positions and even if it would work it wouldn't be a great system.

My idea is the following: having a new object type called "reset point" you can configure a radius on this object and whenever a kart is rescued within that radius it will be reset to the position to the object instead to the driveline.
That would a very flexible system and don't cause any issues with existing tracks.

This system could also be bit more advanced, by adding another object type which will not be a reset point but also check if a kart is rescued it it's radius, and if so also reset at the position of the first reset point. (Hope I explained that in a way it was understandable)

That would prevent issues when karts fall really deep for example, since scaling up the radius of a "reset point" too much could lead weird resets.

EDIT:
should look something like that in blender
reset_points_concept.jpg
Last edited by SvenAndreasBelting on 30 Apr 2023, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby Polo10 » 30 Apr 2023, 07:56

It was understandable, don't worry. And I think it's a very good idea. It would greatly help the AI game.

Have a nice day!
Polo10

Postby fracture » 30 Apr 2023, 15:48

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:
fracture {l Wrote}:I've tested the latest version of this track with the Nolok AI to see how it does and it's worse than the original Fort Magma because Nolok gets stuck during the broken bridge section creating an endless loop of the AI falling and being rescued.

Did he always get stuck? To me that only rarely happens.

But that problem has to be fixed anyways in order to inlude this track into the game. Some sort of manual respawn point system is needed for 2.0

I only tested it once but still.
fracture

Postby QwertyChouskie » 01 May 2023, 18:48

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:
QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:
SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:But that problem has to be fixed anyways in order to inlude this track into the game. Some sort of manual respawn point system is needed for 2.0

Look at how the tutorial track handles it, I think it has something to do with the drivequads but not sure off the top of my head.

The tutorial track actually uses battles start positions as respawn points, but that doesn't work for tracks.
In normal tracks they will be used as start positions and even if it would work it wouldn't be a great system.

My idea is the following: having a new object type called "reset point" you can configure a radius on this object and whenever a kart is rescued within that radius it will be reset to the position to the object instead to the driveline.
That would a very flexible system and don't cause any issues with existing tracks.

This system could also be bit more advanced, by adding another object type which will not be a reset point but also check if a kart is rescued it it's radius, and if so also reset at the position of the first reset point. (Hope I explained that in a way it was understandable)

That would prevent issues when karts fall really deep for example, since scaling up the radius of a "reset point" too much could lead weird resets.

EDIT:
should look something like that in blender
reset_points_concept.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, karts will only reset to the middle of a drive quad or something along those lines, so you can just make a quad big where the gaps are. Check Cocoa Temple's big final jump, I think it implements this if I remember correctly.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 02 May 2023, 02:08

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:@tempAnon093 Do you know if it's possible to use scripting to check if the player has completed the story mode yet?

It turns out we can!

So, there is code for checking how many challenges have been completed at any difficulty. However, it will only count challenges which we have included in the level. So we can add a reference to the Fort Magma challenge inside Fort Magma, and check if it is marked as completed. :?
To do that, create an object (ideally just a single invisible tri) and keep it as static.
Then, underneath the objects settings, there's Blender's "Custom Properties" option. Add a new one (it will be called "prop") and click the settings icon. Change it's name to "challenge" and it's type to String and click OK. Then, change its value to "fortmagma".

Then, in scripting.as, add this function just like the others you have:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
bool isStoryComplete(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Challenges::getCompletedChallengesCount() == 1;
}
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 02 May 2023, 06:56

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:@tempAnon093 Do you know if it's possible to use scripting to check if the player has completed the story mode yet?

It turns out we can!

So, there is code for checking how many challenges have been completed at any difficulty. However, it will only count challenges which we have included in the level. So we can add a reference to the Fort Magma challenge inside Fort Magma, and check if it is marked as completed. :?
To do that, create an object (ideally just a single invisible tri) and keep it as static.
Then, underneath the objects settings, there's Blender's "Custom Properties" option. Add a new one (it will be called "prop") and click the settings icon. Change it's name to "challenge" and it's type to String and click OK. Then, change its value to "fortmagma".

Then, in scripting.as, add this function just like the others you have:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
bool isStoryComplete(Track::TrackObject@ obj)
{
    return Challenges::getCompletedChallengesCount() == 1;
}

Awesome thanks! :)
Now there sits a kidnapped gnu in one of the cells and waves at you in the final race :D
That's also the perfect opportunity to use the WilhemScream.ogg (just kidding, always wondered what it's for).
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 03 May 2023, 05:42

Can't wait to see it! I'm now laughing at the idea of gnu in a cell with the Wilhem Scream just playing on loop
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Polo10 » 14 May 2023, 07:44

Hello Sven,
I tested your race.
Incredible!
The graphics are incredible, the ideas too, well, everything. Thank you for giving your time like this to make tracks like this for STK!
So much nothing to complain about.
But could you send the version of the track with GNU ?
Have a nice day!
Polo10