rainbow road

rainbow road

Postby NaN » 18 Jan 2010, 11:10

Hi

Recently, I have been working on some blender skripts for VDrift.
Writing a track editor skript I created a track to test the editor. A user in the vdrift forum suggested, this track would be great for supertuxkart.
I am not sure if it really fits your Visual Art Style Guidelines. But anyway, feel free to use/modify it for supertuxkart.

http://svn.vdrift.net/viewvc.cgi/trunk/models/tracks/rainbow/?root=VDrift+Art

PS: Yes, it is heavily influenced by the Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 64. :D
NaN

Re: rainbow road

Postby Gallaecio » 18 Jan 2010, 17:29

It remainds me the old "SuperTuxKart" logo.
Gallaecio

Postby Auria » 18 Jan 2010, 17:42

Hi,

thanks for your contribution; but we want to avoid blantantly copying Mario Kart, so I guess this isn't a good start ;)
Also, Rainbow Road was always my least favorite track in Mario Kart
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby NaN » 18 Jan 2010, 19:36

Hey, thanks for the response. :)

The motivation behind this track was to have something simple but still interesting to drive.
The idea with the rainbow texture came actually after having finished the road spline. The first thing that came in my mind was MK64.
So I see it rather as a homage to Mario Kart than a blatant copy. But yeah, the truth lies in the eye of the beholder.
NaN

Postby asciimonster » 18 Jan 2010, 19:51

This track reminds me of a track in the 0.4 release...
Wasn't it called Gowns Bow and was it dropped for being too much Mario Kart (And because it was unplayable :think: )
asciimonster

Postby Arthur » 18 Jan 2010, 20:15

Yes it was. Gowns Bow was at that time very look-a-like of Star Track, as both had the same colorful road and little to no scenery. This was also one of the reasons for why Gowns Bow was dropped, AFAIR.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby charlie » 19 Jan 2010, 00:21

I think the track could be adapted. It looks a lot like a musical symbol (the G-clef) from above. Perhaps a music-themed track could be derived from it, and the track extended to more closely match the G-clef.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby hiker » 19 Jan 2010, 00:49

charlie {l Wrote}:I think the track could be adapted. It looks a lot like a musical symbol (the G-clef) from above. Perhaps a music-themed track could be derived from it, and the track extended to more closely match the G-clef.

I agree with that. The original track is a bit too MK, and tracks just hovering in the air are a bit boring (imho). Also tracks without a fence are very difficult to drive, it's very frustrating when you get pushed off the track too easily.

A musical track would give many nice visual options (drive through/around musical instruments), or even a marching band walking across the track - but that track is by then totally different than the one suggested here (except for the shape).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Pixel » 21 Jan 2010, 23:19

I like the musical idea too.

I do like the idea of a rainbow-colored track, The edge blending from one color to the next is a neat idea if done properly.

Shape wise, the upper half of the track looks a lot like MK64's Rainbow Road. I like the G-Clef idea. With some modifications, and the right music,
we could have a nice musical-themed track. STK's music set included a rock version of Beethoven's 5th IIRC. Maybe that could be the music, or maybe a more classical
arrangement?

If the track coloring is kept, what about the name "Symphony of Color"? We really can't call it Rainbow Road, I don't think Nintendo would be all that flattered. ;)
Pixel

Postby portets » 22 Jan 2010, 03:53

How about Rainbow Symphony?
portets

Postby PatriciusKlassenikos » 30 Jan 2010, 05:40

Another idea for a track could be to have it looking like sheet music.
this might be hard to do, however, because sheet music is not exactly easy to draw.

this would become really sweet if the track was the music for the song playing on it.
:)
~~~Hic sunt Draconus~~~
PatriciusKlassenikos

Postby MCMic » 31 Jan 2010, 02:37

charlie {l Wrote}:I think the track could be adapted. It looks a lot like a musical symbol (the G-clef) from above. Perhaps a music-themed track could be derived from it, and the track extended to more closely match the G-clef.

I agree with that, the track should be adapted to fit more the G-clef shape, and be themed about music. A old (public domain) classical music should fit for the song.
MCMic