Explosions in STK

Explosions in STK

Postby charlie » 08 Jan 2010, 19:33

I think the explosions are a bit weak though. Perhaps an animated flame would improve things quite a lot. I think a sped up version of the LinWarrior 3D explosions (see video) would suit STK and look a lot better.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: www.supertuxkart.de

Postby qubodup » 08 Jan 2010, 21:05

charlie {l Wrote}:I think a sped up version of the LinWarrior 3D explosions (see video) would suit STK and look a lot better.

Now that you mention it: these LinWarrior3D explosions do look good! For a cute game like STK, I would always prefer Massive cuddly-sheepy flaky 3D clouds over explosions though :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Arthur » 08 Jan 2010, 22:13

Too flaky in that video, and too rough edges IMHO. The explosions in STK might use some work, but I don't think they're bad right now either.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby hiker » 10 Jan 2010, 12:09

Arthur {l Wrote}:Too flaky in that video, and too rough edges IMHO. The explosions in STK might use some work, but I don't think they're bad right now either.

Well, I am actually thinking of removing the explosions completely, and replace them with an 'animation' - i.e. let the kart roll (i.e. around forward axis) or rotate (around up axis), together with the new stars (or even better: little animated birds). Perhaps even animate the characters (shake a fist or so). Not in the next release probably - we really have to get a release out, there's plenty of time to improve things once stk has officially gone irrlicht :)

Main reason is that the current way explosions are handled is not fair (sometimes it pushes you forward, sometimes you fly too long, ...) - if we replace this with a (potential) cute animation the game would become fairer, nicer (and it makes it potentially easier for networking).

But mainly I think this kind of animation would suit STK much better than any kind of animation. What do you think about this?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Arthur » 10 Jan 2010, 13:09

Well, the first thing I think about this is that this discussion should be separated from this thread, as the thread was meant for feedback on supertuxkart.de. Secondly, I think it's a good idea. Even though I think it's fun to blow the others up, the explosions aren't that useful, and it's quite random whether it have an actual effect or not. Many times they are stabilized in mid-air because of the physics cheating, and almost get no penalty, and some times it makes the AI so disorientated that it outright crashes into something else afterwards and needs to get rescued. Furthermore, it might make the game more child-friendly (though the controls probably are too hard for young children anyway), and will make the game more cartoonish and less FPS (though explosions are a vital part in really many old animated cartoons, so I'd say they are cartoonish already in the good old-fashioned way). ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby hiker » 11 Jan 2010, 01:12

Arthur {l Wrote}:Well, the first thing I think about this is that this discussion should be separated from this thread, as the thread was meant for feedback on supertuxkart.de.

Agrees, I split that topic.

Secondly, I think it's a good idea. Even though I think it's fun to blow the others up, the explosions aren't that useful, and it's quite random whether it have an actual effect or not. Many times they are stabilized in mid-air because of the physics cheating, and almost get no penalty, and some times it makes the AI so disorientated that it outright crashes into something else afterwards and needs to get rescued.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Furthermore, it might make the game more child-friendly

I was thinking about this, too - but then realised that I always hated the fact that "Looney Tunes" were stopped in Germany when I was a kid because they were considered to be too violent. And I don't want to take the explosions out because of this ;)

(though the controls probably are too hard for young children anyway),

You think so? I think we have some rather young people playing stk (well, I know from personal experience that 20 month is too young to play - but they can enjoy the bunny and snowmen in the SnowMountain at this age ;) And you can get a real challenge by trying to win a race with a bay hitting keys all the time ;) )

and will make the game more cartoonish and less FPS (though explosions are a vital part in really many old animated cartoons, so I'd say they are cartoonish already in the good old-fashioned way). ;)

Agreed.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Arthur » 11 Jan 2010, 17:50

hiker {l Wrote}:
Arthur {l Wrote}:Furthermore, it might make the game more child-friendly

I was thinking about this, too - but then realised that I always hated the fact that "Looney Tunes" were stopped in Germany when I was a kid because they were considered to be too violent. And I don't want to take the explosions out because of this ;)

Yeah, I don't think exposions in a game would do kids any harm. (If you want Looney Tunes, I'd recommend buying the "Looney Tunes Golden Collection"; or, if you're not that serious about getting all the cartoons you could go with a "best of" compilation of some sort. But I digress. ;) )

hiker {l Wrote}:
Arthur {l Wrote}: (though the controls probably are too hard for young children anyway),

You think so? I think we have some rather young people playing stk (well, I know from personal experience that 20 month is too young to play - but they can enjoy the bunny and snowmen in the SnowMountain at this age ;) And you can get a real challenge by trying to win a race with a bay hitting keys all the time ;) )

Yeah, actually, keeping track of a total of 9 different keys is difficult for many. Okay, if we say they usually don't have to bother with looking back, rescuing or braking you still got 6 keys to care about (forward, left, right, skid, nitro, collectables), and I think that might easily be a key or two too much for a 6-7 year old. Still, there are huge differences; I don't say 6-7 year olds can't play STK, but some might have problems with it. Even my two older brothers had some difficulties getting used to the fact that the skid button has to be used for most corners in 0.6.2.
Arthur

Re: Explosions in STK

Postby COOLTUX345 » 16 Jan 2010, 18:48

I think that it is fine to have explosions in supertuxkart.
Windows rocks and Linux stinks, but Tux is still cool!
COOLTUX345