New STK property Browser

Re: New STK property Browser

Postby asciimonster » 03 Feb 2011, 16:05

Water effect? :? You mean like a watersplash effect: http://www.baileycare.ie/images/water%20splash.jpg?

I see several possibilities, but I'll have to see this in my minds eye first... :D
asciimonster

Postby Auria » 04 Feb 2011, 00:10

Basically at this point, two properties are needed for a material : one to say that a material has a water effect (this already exists); the other is to add a "height" property
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 04 Feb 2011, 01:15

Auria {l Wrote}:Basically at this point, two properties are needed for a material : one to say that a material has a water effect (this already exists); the other is to add a "height" property

Now I realise that there might be a minor problem: our idea was to get the height implicitly by computing the difference of two meshes (the 'river bed' surface the kart is driving on, and the water surface). But since it's a material setting, we don't easily have the first object. Even worse: what if we have two places in the track with the same distance, but different heights? We could not specify this (short of duplicating the texture with a different name). *sigh* Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 04 Feb 2011, 01:34

I've just discussed this with Auria, for now just wait before implementing this, I'll try if we can find a better solution in STK.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 05 Feb 2011, 12:01

Hi,

I've added support for weather settings to the track exporter. I also converted fog color from [0.0,1.0] to [0,255], before noticing that you already do this for sky-color. Now I am a bit confused :) I don't care where we do it, but it should be done in the same program :)

Could you have a look? I don't understand the property browser enough. I converted the values using a new 'convertColor' function in stk_track.py, just search for it, it's easy enough to see what I did.

Thanks!
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 05 Feb 2011, 13:33

Hi,

more news: I also added animated textures for water nodes (identical to animated textures in the normal track). But I think that this is not yet supported by the browser (or did I miss something)?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby asciimonster » 06 Feb 2011, 23:43

hiker {l Wrote}:I've added support for weather settings to the track exporter. I also converted fog color from [0.0,1.0] to [0,255], before noticing that you already do this for sky-color. Now I am a bit confused :) I don't care where we do it, but it should be done in the same program :)

First off let me say, unequivocally, that the browser should supply the correct value. If it doesn't it's my problem to solve.

A guiding principle in the browser is that it doesn't change any property until it is... changed. Even more so: The properties that have not yet been changed from it's default value aren't even created. It works similar to XSD vs. XML. In the XSD a node is defined with a default value, but that doesn't mean it has to be present in the corresponding XML.

So my guess is that the value has been set with the old version of the browser (set to 0.0,0.0,1.0) and hasn't been changed since (which automatically changes it to 256,256,256 format)... If it has been changed and it's still in the 1.0,1.0,1.0 format this is a bug I need to squash. :|

Also just like XSD you can define types. Both fog-color and sky-color are defined as type_COLOUR, and therefore handled exactly the same.

hiker {l Wrote}:I also added animated textures for water nodes (identical to animated textures in the normal track). But I think that this is not yet supported by the browser (or did I miss something)?

There is not supported and not supported. The datamodel of the browser isn't configured to allow water objects to be animated. It's a question of changing the proverbial XSD.
asciimonster

Postby STKRudy85 » 09 Feb 2011, 12:21

Yesterday I 've tried to use script I get this error :

Browser problem.png

What I've done wrong :?
STK fan
STKRudy85

Postby xapantu » 09 Feb 2011, 13:52

What is your version of python ? (just enter "python" in a terminal)
Which distro ?

If you do this :
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
python
>>> from symbol import except_clause

Do you get an error ?
xapantu

Postby STKRudy85 » 09 Feb 2011, 21:54

I tried it on a windows computer at work I didn't know that python have to be installed. It's ok on Ubuntu.
It's a VERY good tool

I report maybe another bug which appear in type-selection-menu : when I select start python crash in blender and report :
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "stk_browser.py", line 704, in Draw
    for (prop_name,prop_type,current_value) in data.GetProperties(cur_objname):
  File "stk_browser.py", line 368, in GetProperties
    for prop in lSTKTypes2Properties[cur_stktype]:
KeyError: 'Start'

Nice job, congratulations
STK fan
STKRudy85

Postby hiker » 09 Feb 2011, 23:09

asciimonster {l Wrote}:First off let me say, unequivocally, that the browser should supply the correct value. If it doesn't it's my problem to solve.

'Correct' is a matter of definition, and if the values were [0,1] it is just as correct as the values being [0,255] - as long as it is consistent.

A guiding principle in the browser is that it doesn't change any property until it is... changed. Even more so: The properties that have not yet been changed from it's default value aren't even created. It works similar to XSD vs. XML. In the XSD a node is defined with a default value, but that doesn't mean it has to be present in the corresponding XML.

Hmm - I am not sure if that might have some disadvantages in the future. E.g. what if we should decide to change a default (admittedly unlikely, but who knows). If we would then re-export an old track, those properties would still not being exported, but since in STK then a different default would apply, some tracks might look different. From that point of view it looks to me to be better to export all values. Or am I missing something?

So my guess is that the value has been set with the old version of the browser (set to 0.0,0.0,1.0) and hasn't been changed since (which automatically changes it to 256,256,256 format)... If it has been changed and it's still in the 1.0,1.0,1.0 format this is a bug I need to squash. :|

I am not entirely sure what happened at that time, since I just assumed that the color values were still in [0,1] everywhere. I'll see if this happens again.

Also just like XSD you can define types. Both fog-color and sky-color are defined as type_COLOUR, and therefore handled exactly the same.

hiker {l Wrote}:I also added animated textures for water nodes (identical to animated textures in the normal track). But I think that this is not yet supported by the browser (or did I miss something)?

There is not supported and not supported. The datamodel of the browser isn't configured to allow water objects to be animated. It's a question of changing the proverbial XSD.

OK, I think I am getting a hang of the programming - quite powerful once you had a good look at how things work - great!

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 12 Feb 2011, 01:24

Hi asciimonster,

I have a bug report : sometimes "anisotropic" is checked (set to 'yes') but when I export the track, materials.xml does not include anisotropic="y"

EDIT: another bug : many zipper parameters are not exported, I customized all parameters byt only "speed-gain" was exported

EDIT: oh, and yet another -.- we have a property called "friction" that can optionnally be set, it seems like the browser doesn't support it

EDIT: one more, sorry ;) when skid condition is set to "skid" only, condition is not exported at all
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 13 Feb 2011, 20:42

STKRudy85 {l Wrote}:I report maybe another bug which appear in type-selection-menu : when I select start python crash in blender and report :
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "stk_browser.py", line 704, in Draw
    for (prop_name,prop_type,current_value) in data.GetProperties(cur_objname):
  File "stk_browser.py", line 368, in GetProperties
    for prop in lSTKTypes2Properties[cur_stktype]:
KeyError: 'Start'

Ah, I think I found the cause: There was an object defined as "type=start". Since the browser doesn't know this type of object it crashes. :shock:
I think it's best if this incongruity would be handled a bit better than a blunt crash...

Auria {l Wrote}:I have a bug report : sometimes "anisotropic" is checked (set to 'yes') but when I export the track, materials.xml does not include anisotropic="y"
EDIT: another bug : many zipper parameters are not exported, I customized all parameters but only "speed-gain" was exported

Hmm. That may be due to typo's. I'll have to test them separately.

Auria {l Wrote}:EDIT: oh, and yet another -.- we have a property called "friction" that can optionally be set, it seems like the browser doesn't support it

In what context? I can't find it in the wiki anywhere. Adding support for it should not be a problem.

Auria {l Wrote}:EDIT: one more, sorry ;) when skid condition is set to "skid" only, condition is not exported at all

Hmm. I think I may overlooked something. Since "skid" is the default value, the property is not created. And the exporter isn't aware of any defaults... :| Thanks for spotting this.
asciimonster

Postby Auria » 13 Feb 2011, 21:03

You're right, I just added friction to the wiki ( http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Mat ... Attributes )
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 16 Feb 2011, 04:24

hiker {l Wrote}:

Hmm - I am not sure if that might have some disadvantages in the future. E.g. what if we should decide to change a default (admittedly unlikely, but who knows). If we would then re-export an old track, those properties would still not being exported, but since in STK then a different default would apply, some tracks might look different. From that point of view it looks to me to be better to export all values. Or am I missing something?

Thanks a lot for implementing this. But then I noticed what I was missing (why didn't anyone tell me?? ;) ) - it's much harder (if not impossible) to see why a certain material was listed. And also now (correctly of course) all materials are listed, making the files bigger and even more difficult to see what the important points are. Would it be a lot of work to disable this (i.e. leave the code in so that we can use it if we need to), but for now keep on getting the minimal materials files back? It's just that esp. atm with a lot of development happening I found myself looking at the materials.xml file quite often.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby asciimonster » 16 Feb 2011, 20:19

hiker {l Wrote}:Would it be a lot of work to disable this (i.e. leave the code in so that we can use it if we need to), but for now keep on getting the minimal materials files back? It's just that esp. atm with a lot of development happening I found myself looking at the materials.xml file quite often.

Just revert to the previous version of the track exporter. That should undo the "damage" I've done ;)
asciimonster

Postby hiker » 18 Feb 2011, 13:14

Auria {l Wrote}:I have a bug report : sometimes "anisotropic" is checked (set to 'yes') but when I export the track, materials.xml does not include anisotropic="y"

EDIT: another bug : many zipper parameters are not exported, I customized all parameters byt only "speed-gain" was exported

EDIT: oh, and yet another -.- we have a property called "friction" that can optionnally be set, it seems like the browser doesn't support it

EDIT: one more, sorry ;) when skid condition is set to "skid" only, condition is not exported at all

I think they should all be fixed either by asciimonster previously, or at latest in r7728.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby asciimonster » 27 Feb 2011, 17:55

Added new type_CHOICELIST. It's like a picklist but the options are not mutually exclusive.
Hiker, I hope you will appreciate the new option... :)
asciimonster

Postby Auria » 07 Mar 2011, 02:23

Hi asciimonster,

did you see those :

https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/super ... /ticket/18
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/super ... /ticket/41

I think they're for you ;) the first I'm sure, the second perhaps
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 14 Mar 2011, 02:37

Rehi asciimonster, I have another bug to report :)

See attached screenshot : the "sound effect" section and the sound-related parameters are not together, which is rather weird (and, little feature requests, do you think sub-parameters like SFX parameters could appear indented?)

thanks!

EDIT: oh, and also, graphical-effect="smoke" no more exists, it was superseeded by "particles", so you can remove that option please :)
Attachments
surface.png
surface.png (22.03 KiB) Viewed 14097 times
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 14 Mar 2011, 22:20

Oh, yet another bug ;)

I got this :
  <sun  fog="true" fog-color="3060 1530 0" fog-start="0" fog-end="50"/>

This color definitely doesn't look legit :) (this is in the mine track; the color looks all fine in blender)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 14 Mar 2011, 23:33

Auria {l Wrote}:See attached screenshot : the "sound effect" section and the sound-related parameters are not together, which is rather weird

Hmm. Some new additions were placed in between the (loosely) grouped items... I've corrected that.
Auria {l Wrote}:(...) and, a little feature request, do you think sub-parameters like SFX parameters could appear indented?

I've done that, but the effect still is not very pronounced... Any more suggestions?
Auria {l Wrote}:oh, and also, graphical-effect="smoke" no more exists, it was superseded by "particles", so you can remove that option please :)

I have removed "smoke". However, graphical-effect is now a picklist that only exists out of "none" and "water". And I believe "water" isn't even used. Are you considering removing it in the future?
asciimonster

Postby Auria » 15 Mar 2011, 00:18

Thanks a lot for the nice work :D

"Water" *is* used so don't worry :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 17 Mar 2011, 19:10

Hi,

the fog issue described above is still there in latest version, is this known?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 17 Mar 2011, 23:24

Auria {l Wrote}:the fog issue described above is still there in latest version, is this known?

You mean the colour issue. No, I was not aware.
Are you sure the value was recently altered in the browser? Because values that do not need alteration are not altered... even if they are incorrect.
asciimonster