Scotland Track

Re: Scotland Track

Postby Auria » 11 Nov 2010, 02:15

Hi,

it's me again :) check the attached file, it's a Scotland track with only, 100%, valid-license files :) Please tell me how you like my changes - then we'd only need to finish the license file and the track is ready to commit :)
Attachments
scotland.7z
(5.66 MiB) Downloaded 393 times
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Canis Lupus » 13 Nov 2010, 10:42

Thanks a lot Auria for all the work you had with scotland track
Of course, I like the changes!
I'm not so fast but was also close to put the new textures into the track

When I finished the license file I discovered, that also tileroof.png should be replaced, I suggest roof.png of crescentcrossing track from stk0.6

I've added the new license file. I didn't know about the license of public domain pictures. Doesn't it need a link to the author?
Do we also need to find out all the authors of the textures from STK 0.6?

By the way, what a about the version number of next STK? In my opinion, STK has reached the stable state for 1.0 long time ago. I've heard that some linux didtributions make a diference between lower 1.0 and higher 1.0 packages.

Cheers
Canis Lupus
Attachments
License.txt
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Canis Lupus

Postby Auria » 13 Nov 2010, 21:02

Thanks for the update :)

Yes, textures you took from other parts of the game will need to be clarified in the license file, we need all licenses clear without cross-references, but I can take care of that

But also, textures that are unmodified from other tracks don't need to get license information, I will simply leave them in data/textures and they won't appear at all in the scotland track folder
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 13 Nov 2010, 21:54

Hi again,

I completed the license file and committed your track :D Thank you very much :D
Here is the license :

============================
Released under CC-BY-SA 3 :
============================

-water_dark.png based on image by Marianne Gagnon, modified by Canis Lupus
-rock_grey.png based on image by Marianne Gagnon, modified by Canis Lupus
-rock_darkgrey.png based on image by Marianne Gagnon, modified by Canis Lupus
-wood_planks2-7 based on image by Varivar, modified by Canis Lupus
-DoorOld.png based on image by Varivar, modified by Canis Lupus
-Tileroof.png by Marianne Gagnon (Auria), based on public domain photos from BurningWell
-Sky_horiz_17.png by MiniBjorn
-Window4.png by Canis Lupus, incorporating brick texture by Thomas Oppl
-leaves2.png from "King Weird's Castle" in STK 0.6, author unknown

Textures by Marianne Gagnon, made from public domain images from BurningWell
and released under CC-BY-SA 3

-Mossy_wall.png
-HortonStone7.png
-NessyGreen.png
-NessyDarkGreen.png

????
-Factory4b by Ivar ten Cate, license unclear :'(
-brick1.png by Ivar ten Cate, license unclear :'(
-Phoque_Plane.png by Rudy Phelippeau, license unclear :'(

=========================
Released under GNU GPL :
=========================

-bush3.png based on image from the http://www.titusgames.de GLEST jungle set, modified by Canis Lupus
-zipper_collect.png from original STK team

Character icons in following images by Anthony Carré (yekcim), released under GPL 2; with modifications by Lupus Canis
-Puffy_bar.png from karts/puffy
-gnu_bar.png from karts/gnu
-Tux_inn.png with tinytux
-mozillas_pub.png from karts/mozillas

==================================================
Made by Canis Lupus, released under CC-BY-SA 3
==================================================

-scotland.blend
-pub2.png
-Public_Phone_Box.png
-POD_Pillar
-Flag_of_Scotland.png
-Door4.png
-Window5.png
-Window6.png
-WindowOld.png
-pub1.png

Now, the part in bold only is slightly problematic; the license of Industry says textures are "CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC 2.5 or GPL" and doesn't say which are which -.-
Also, the seal texture would need a license; Rudy, do you agree to released the seal under CC-BY-SA 3? (I know you are very open so I don't think this will cause a problem to you but we need to get your agreement)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 13 Nov 2010, 22:09

I'd like to give some feedback :)
The track looks awesome, it brings something new and unexplored for me (and a new track for official STK tracks).
Also I'd like to notice that mozillas_pub.png has an old icon of Mozilla :) A new version of mozilla's icon is available in svn.
Another problem is more serious, but it's (I'm practically sure) connected with video drivers. In some places the track looks something like this:
http://img837.imageshack.us/i/stkscotland.png/
KroArtem

Postby jpenguin » 14 Nov 2010, 01:41

It doesn't apear white like that for me, all textures load fine

ATI Radeon HD 4890
Latest FGLRX drivers
jpenguin

Postby Crendgrim » 14 Nov 2010, 11:27

I found the track in the current SVN trunk.
Nice work! :)

I've got only three suggestions:
First, the bonuses. Due to the fact that they're all in one line, the first driver gets nearly all of them so it's hardly possible to overtake him :/
Second, the zippers. I've been very pleased when I saw them disappearing in 0.7. Why did you bring them back? :P They're really ugly and imho overpowered. I think the track would be also funny without them ;)
Third, the sea. I think it would be nice to have it moving as in other tracks (but I don't know whether it's possible - the sea is really wide ... )

But except of this it's a really nice track - I think one of the nicest we've got in STK. :)

Crend
Crendgrim

Postby KroArtem » 14 Nov 2010, 11:45

jpenguin, yes, I think it is connected with open-source mesa drivers. I've got such bugs here and there. So it's not a track problem.
KroArtem

Postby Arthur » 14 Nov 2010, 13:32

Music suggestion: Origin by Jahzzar (found on Jamendo, shortened by me). CC-BY-SA 3.0
Quite repetitive, but fits better than Boom boom boom at least. ;)
Attachments
Origin.ogg
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 369 times
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Canis Lupus » 14 Nov 2010, 20:13

-As far as I can remember, all textures of the industry track are selfmade by Ivar ten Cate to avoid license troubles. I guess, they are supossed to be CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC 2.5 and GPL.
-about the music: I coosed boom boom boom because it was the first in alphabet, I agree that Origin by Jahzzar fits better. I still miss the bagpipes a little bit...
-I like the zipper in boring parts of a track, like tubes or straight flat parts, but I don't mind if they get removed.
-The sea and the lake are moving a little bit. If the sea moves too much, some boats disapear under the waves.
-Despite some bonuses are in one line, I never got all of the, but I don't mind If they got move a bit.
-I tested the the track just under windows, but never had video driver problems.

Cheers
Canis Lupus
Canis Lupus

Postby Auria » 14 Nov 2010, 22:46

Unfortunately, the license file of Industry says

industry track by Ivar ten Cate
licensed under CC-BY-SA (textures too)

Some source textures are from http://www.mercenariesguild.net/trak/. Those textures are licensed under CC-BY-SA 2.5 or later, or GPL v2 or later

The use of the word some is very unfortunate, now we have no idea which ones are OK and which ones are not :( And http://www.mercenariesguild.net/trak/ doesn't seem to exist anymore so we can't verify

Regarding music, we'll take the best one that can be found or made :)

I have no problem with the other points mentionned
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 14 Nov 2010, 22:53

Ok I replaced the brick texture with another one from BurningWell (public domain), so that one is now fine :) the only left from factory is the one with windows
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby charlie » 15 Nov 2010, 00:58

You could use this for the award ceremony after the race:
http://www.archive.org/details/AmazingGraceBagpipes

:D
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby hiker » 16 Nov 2010, 04:36

Hi,

I've done some minor changes to the .blend file: I've added the material properties (using the property editor you can find in the forum), and applied scale/rotation to the water nodes, since otherwise there are some problems with the new track/b3d exporter. Thanks a lot for the work on that track! Also the 'collide=N' feature does not work, it's now 'ignore=Y' (and zipper must not be ignored ... otherwise they are ignored :) ). I am just telling you this with the hope that you might make another track ;)

Canis Lupus {l Wrote}:By the way, what a about the version number of next STK? In my opinion, STK has reached the stable state for 1.0 long time ago. I've heard that some linux didtributions make a diference between lower 1.0 and higher 1.0 packages.

My intention is to have network play with 1.0. So 0.8 should see some improved physics, addon-manager, perhaps online highscores and ghost races, 0.9 then hopefully networking. And then 1.0 should actually just be a minor update that smooths all rough edges etc. (and so I hope should be quite stable since all bugs were fixed since 0.9 :) So 0.9 might be a kind of release candidate for 1.0 ). But from past experiences things can change suddenly (e.g. if we get more developers). Don't ask what we are going to do if we need another number before 1.0 - will we be using 0.10 ? :) Let's wait and see if this should happen.

And I admit that I don't care that much if some linux distributions make a difference re pre and post 1.0 version: I really don't feel that stk should be called 1.0 right now, there are too many things that just aren't good enough (imho).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby jpenguin » 22 Nov 2010, 00:30

Yea, I think we need- network, replay and ghost before we go 1.0 :-)

PS-- the zippers are absolutely terrible in this track, +1 for removing them
jpenguin

Postby Static Juice » 22 Nov 2010, 23:11

Yeah, zippers do not suit this track very well.
+1 for removing them from me too.
Static Juice

Postby Canis Lupus » 28 Nov 2010, 21:50

I liked the zipper in the tube, but I don't mind if you delete them
What about using the music from http://www.archive.org/details/AmazingGraceBagpipes ?
It about one minute long, so it's exactly long enough for one loop.

Cheers
Canis Lupus
Canis Lupus

Postby charlie » 28 Nov 2010, 22:26

It's a little bit slow for a racing game... better for the awards bit (if such a customizable animation ever comes to pass).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Auria » 28 Nov 2010, 22:27

Canis Lupus {l Wrote}:I liked the zipper in the tube, but I don't mind if you delete them
What about using the music from http://www.archive.org/details/AmazingGraceBagpipes ?
It about one minute long, so it's exactly long enough for one loop.

Cheers
Canis Lupus

I'm not sure, I think using Amazing Grace would be very annoying :( Many people don't like the sound of bagpipes so I'm not sure it's a good idea to force them to listen to bagpipe solos during several minutes
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Canis Lupus » 01 Dec 2010, 21:41

Ok. Origin.ogg as Arthur suggests sounds better and should be liked by evereybody.
It's not a typical racing sound, but it were possible to encrease the speed with Wavepad and make the music run much faster.
Cheers
Canis Lupus
Canis Lupus

Postby rudy85 » 17 Dec 2010, 12:15

Tester of jeulinux told me about a graphic bug , this is his report :

STK 3D animation
My work is under the licence you want
rudy85

Postby asciimonster » 17 Dec 2010, 14:33

rudy85 {l Wrote}:Tester of jeulinux told me about a graphic bug

I've seen this one before and already reported it. Solution was to increase the drawing distance.
asciimonster

Postby Auria » 17 Dec 2010, 17:41

rudy85 {l Wrote}:Tester of jeulinux told me about a graphic bug , this is his report :

Hi,

can you ask him what version he's using? this was a bug in RC1, but in RC2 this is supposed to be fixed and I can't see this bug
Auria
STK Moderator