Boost (nitro) gui graphics and reworked textures

Boost (nitro) gui graphics and reworked textures

Postby fraang » 01 Nov 2010, 22:29

1. I have tryed to make graphics for a new/polished gui for the boost (nitro). They are in the .tar.gz files. If you like it you can use it in the game.

The screen shots are mockups to get an idea how I would place it on the screen.

My first try for a boost (nitro) gui:

My second and hopefully better try for a boost (nitro) gui:

And finally some reworked textures:

The old textures:
ImageImageImage
The new textures:
ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

I hope you like it. Ideas are welcome. :)
Attachments
textures.tar.gz
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 288 times
stk-gui-boost-new.tar.gz
(14.67 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
stk-gui-boost.tar.gz
(27.22 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
fraang

Re: Boost (nitro) gui graphics and reworked textures

Postby Auria » 02 Nov 2010, 00:16

Hi,

interesting work :)

About the nitro bar; it looks interesting, but it would be better if it could be somehow integrated into the speedometer. We had the idea to make something like : http://img524.imageshack.us/i/speedbackmockup.png/ . The current version visible through the speedometer is a little weird :) Also, STK is a translated game, so we don't want text on the meter

Regarding the textures, some of the changes are interesting. Regarding purple nebula, the stars have been dimmed a lot, I'm a bit afraid they will become hard to see in-game? Regarding the palm tree wood texture, it looks like you integrated an image in it. What is the license and author of image you have used?

Thanks
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby charlie » 02 Nov 2010, 00:20

The textures are really nice. As is the GUI mock up. :heart:
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby fraang » 02 Nov 2010, 13:45

1. speed/nitro meter: Maybe a second bar (like the one for the speed) in blue in the outer area would be cool.

2. The palmtree texture was combined with an texture from gimp or gimp-extra.

3. I have tested the purplenebula textures in game. For me they look quite normal. Can anyone test this on another system?
fraang

Postby Auria » 03 Nov 2010, 01:39

fraang {l Wrote}:1. speed/nitro meter: Maybe a second bar (like the one for the speed) in blue in the outer area would be cool.

I'm afraid it would look cluttered, especially in split-screen where the speedometers become small; but feel free to try stuff :)

fraang {l Wrote}:2. The palmtree texture was combined with an texture from gimp or gimp-extra.

OK, should be fine :) I committed the texture, thanks

fraang {l Wrote}:3. I have tested the purplenebula textures in game. For me they look quite normal. Can anyone test this on another system?

Well I tried them and didn't quite like it, sorry :/ The background then becomes very dark, where it used to be quite starry
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby fraang » 03 Nov 2010, 13:05

1. I have found some problems with the logs texture. I have to redo it. :)

2. Can you commit the new lava texture. It uses only images from the gimp and gimp-extra. Anything annoying/what you dislike?

3. How should the purplenebula texture look like? I would like to retouch/redo it if it is wanted.

4. I will work an the speed meter in the next time. ;)
fraang

Postby charlie » 03 Nov 2010, 13:57

Regarding #3 - it needs some more stars. At the moment it is very dark.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 03 Nov 2010, 16:11

I agree that new lava texture looks better :)
KroArtem

Postby Auria » 03 Nov 2010, 19:13

Hi, I committed the new lava texture, thanks :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby fraang » 06 Nov 2010, 20:00

I have tweaked the lava texture again. It should now fit a bit more in the track.

ImageImage

How can I import the existing tracks for tweaking/improving into Blender?

EDIT: Oh I forgot to add the attachment. :)
Attachments
lava.png
lava.png (134.99 KiB) Viewed 14514 times
fraang

Postby Auria » 06 Nov 2010, 23:56

OK, change committed, thanks
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby fraang » 09 Nov 2010, 23:13

Yeah! Another update on textures!

The new stonewall. I have tested it with the "Fort Magma" track. I hope there are no conflicts with ohter tracks:

The new bricks texture. Fits both "Fort Magma" and "Snow Mountain":

And the new lava_sky:

I hope you like the new textures. ;)
Attachments
stonewall.png
stonewall.png (162.19 KiB) Viewed 14456 times
brick.png
brick.png (156.65 KiB) Viewed 14456 times
lava_sky.png
fraang

Postby KroArtem » 09 Nov 2010, 23:59

Well, afaik you should add some some words about license ;)
KroArtem

Postby Auria » 10 Nov 2010, 00:29

Hi,

constructive criticism :
the stonewall texture is largely based on the original, only the color changed; the original is not very good, it has large jpeg artifacts and doesn't tile too well, and is small so that obvious tiling patterns may be seen. So I don't think changing the color is the way to go, this texture probably needs to be completely re-done.
the bricks texture is interesting, but there are some obvious mirroring patterns. Also, I'm not sure blue brick would fit everywhere; in snow mountain it would fit great, not sure about fort magma though; and we probably will want to use beige bricks somewhere else, so I don't believe it is a good idea to replace the current brick texture with a blue one, if we want blue bricks we can add a new texture instead

Regarding Fort Magma sky, I like it, but zoom close enough to see the individual pixels : the leftmost pixel column and rightmost pixel column are paler so the sky doesn't tile well
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby fraang » 10 Nov 2010, 11:54

1. It's right the stonewall texture needs to be completely redone but first I have tried to improve the existing one so it fits better with the track (Fort Magma, is there any other tracks which uses the texture?). I will redo it in the next time. :)

2. The bricks texture fits really well with both the Snow Mountain and the Fort Magma track. ;) The slightly blue touch makes a good contrast to red lava. It makes it easier to recognize where the track ends. I have explored this by accident when I forgot to switch the texture back for playing the Fort Magma track. Regarding tiling: You will not notice any seams in game. :) Try it and you will see what I mean. ;)

If wished I can add a "red" version too. maybe for future tracks.

3. I will retouch the sky texture as well.
fraang

Postby fraang » 10 Nov 2010, 11:56

Regarding License: Yes I have only retouch/derivated existing textures. Sorry for that. :)
fraang

Postby KroArtem » 10 Nov 2010, 17:58

IMO, texture for the castle should be redone, this texture is better than the previous one, but I suppose it can be better.
brick texture looks great, especially in snow mountain. In fort magma it also looks good, but the texture is resized there (at least I think so), that's why the road has really huge parts of bricks.
And the background image is cool, some work to have the same colour on the left and on the right and it'll be really great. :)
KroArtem

Postby fraang » 11 Nov 2010, 00:07

After some thoughts I came to the conclusion to recreate the whole fort magma track. Preserving the initial idea but improving it especially in presenting and lightning.

The only thing is I have never done a track before and need some help.

Anyone interessted in helping/doing the start position, cameras, terrain and environmental sounds, ...?
fraang

Postby Arthur » 11 Nov 2010, 00:50

I've had the same idea, but as you I don't have much experience with track making. I have only done some small stuff here and there on some tracks that didn't require modeling, like adding end cameras, moving start positions and such.
I really should learn more Blender before I start on building a track from scratch though, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 11 Nov 2010, 01:02

Hi,

I fixed the tiling issues in the fort magma sky and committed it; thanks

Regarding making a new lava track : I agree this is a good idea, but I hope you have good blender knowledge already, otherwise I recommend learning blender first (and this can take several months)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby fraang » 11 Nov 2010, 09:21

I should have enough Blender knowledge but I need infos about import/export the track data. Modelling, uv mapping, texturing, animation is no problem. ;) Exporting b3d is no problem but how I make the track full functional? :D
fraang

Postby hiker » 11 Nov 2010, 12:07

fraang {l Wrote}:I should have enough Blender knowledge but I need infos about import/export the track data. Modelling, uv mapping, texturing, animation is no problem. ;) Exporting b3d is no problem but how I make the track full functional? :D

That shouldn't be too much of a problem (I hope). You have to download the track exporter, our b3d exporter (either from the wiki if you are using alpha3, otherwise both from current SVN), and I would recommend to use Asciimonster's property browser (see thread in this forum, we haven't really packaged everything up). Then check the pages about track making on our wiki - the main point (which you should consider from the beginning) is to make (keep) a separate mesh for the drivelines (which tells the AI where to drive). If you have any questions, just ask here. And perhaps download some tracks from our media repository - it might be useful to look at some other tracks, too.

Just make sure to plan ahead, and from my experience consider two very important things: don't make the track too narrow - narrow tracks mean it's difficult to overtake, making a track rather boring. And avoid steep uphill/downhill sections: those parts are either boring (slow driving uphill), or making it difficult to drive (downhill, due to the current state of the physics where the karts easily lose contact with the track). But there are more hints on the wiki.

Good luck - Fort Magma certainly would need an improved version.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 11 Nov 2010, 14:53

Auria
STK Moderator