making my first character/kart: firefox

making my first character/kart: firefox

Postby PoketMarty04 » 28 Sep 2022, 18:56

So first: I apologize for my terrible English I don't excel with it.

hello I wanted to make a character for the game, I was inspired by the fantastic works of Ai_ZAQraven and I started blender and tried to see what I could do. it is the first time that I model a character of this type, I have no experience in animation unfortunately, I have always modeled mechanical objects, tanks, planes. I appreciate any kind of criticism and advice (I'm here for this very reason).
I watched the Konqi modeling video and downloaded the model from the REPO to really observe how you (devs) work on this project and keep a style not too distant from yours.

character is inspired by the 2009 and 2017 firefox logo with some ideas taken from the G-fox logo, which was a Chinese variant of firefox from about 2008 and the only logo showing the fox's face that I know of.

(I'm not familiar with this forum, I hope the picture is visible)

here is a picture of the firefox model at the moment with a test texture
Firefox_test.jpg

let me know what you think of this firefox
is absolutely in WIP almost any change is still possible.
I'm learning things as I go.
PoketMarty04

Re: making my first character/kart: firefox

Postby benau » 28 Sep 2022, 19:00

Just a friendly reminder the mascot 'Firefox' is trademark and can not be added officially to supertuxkart, puting it as addon is fine

I will let our artist Typhon and Ai_ZAQraven comment.....
benau
STK Moderator

Postby PoketMarty04 » 28 Sep 2022, 19:04

Ouch :/
Got it, thanks.
PoketMarty04

Postby tempAnon093 » 29 Sep 2022, 03:20

Very nice, I'd like to see this one! :)

The only change I can think of is making the fur colours more intense, similar to the logo. Maybe a more furry/spikey tail, either using texture or actual mesh, although that's not as important.
Attachments
example.jpg
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby McRavenINDo » 29 Sep 2022, 09:45

PoketMarty04 {l Wrote}:So first: I apologize for my terrible English I don't excel with it.

hello I wanted to make a character for the game, I was inspired by the fantastic works of Ai_ZAQraven and I started blender and tried to see what I could do. it is the first time that I model a character of this type, I have no experience in animation unfortunately, I have always modeled mechanical objects, tanks, planes. I appreciate any kind of criticism and advice (I'm here for this very reason).
I watched the Konqi modeling video and downloaded the model from the REPO to really observe how you (devs) work on this project and keep a style not too distant from yours.

character is inspired by the 2009 and 2017 firefox logo with some ideas taken from the G-fox logo, which was a Chinese variant of firefox from about 2008 and the only logo showing the fox's face that I know of.

(I'm not familiar with this forum, I hope the picture is visible)

here is a picture of the firefox model at the moment with a test texture
Firefox_test.jpg

let me know what you think of this firefox
is absolutely in WIP almost any change is still possible.
I'm learning things as I go.

Hi, there. Thank you for your compliment. This is your first to make your first character in my guess, You did great work.
I will just give you some feedback, your character seems to need a good proportion. There is almost no neck on your fox. And I think their arms are too low.

You can always gather some references. Not only real life but also many other cartoon art like Zootopia, Tom and Jerry and etc. Then decide the art-style that you want to use.

Keep it up and never quit.
I am Blender User also the Gamer(average). I live in Indonesia.

The name is "ZAQraven99" forever.
https://www.artstation.com/zaqraven99

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPJJph8bsXJc8HFohHLFAVQ
McRavenINDo

Postby PoketMarty04 » 29 Sep 2022, 20:34

McRavenINDo {l Wrote}:Hi, there. Thank you for your compliment. This is your first to make your first character in my guess, You did great work.
I will just give you some feedback, your character seems to need a good proportion. There is almost no neck on your fox. And I think their arms are too low.

You can always gather some references. Not only real life but also many other cartoon art like Zootopia, Tom and Jerry and etc. Then decide the art-style that you want to use.

Keep it up and never quit.

Thanks for the advices, now he has a neck and the arms are a bit higher, removed some polys and made a new UV map (so has a new texture that I have yet to finish)
firefox_test_2.jpg

I would like to make some kind of fire-fur with textures next. I'm still experimenting with that
PoketMarty04

Postby PoketMarty04 » 08 Jan 2023, 03:50

well what can I say, time has past, from time to time I've worked on this little project, I have no idea how many times I have edited it.
I wasn't happy with how it looked and still is not the greatest thing ever, but I'm almost happy with how it is now, the character has now a rig that seem working in most cases (I learned that few that I know about rigging while working on this).
the only thing that still bothers me is that looking at it without context, you probably won't even think of an internet browser, hopefully once I finish the kart and texture it, it will be obvious.

I have some hilarious ideas for the win and lose animations

the texture of the character are not final but the general shape should be

always open to feedback

firefox_almost_there.jpg
PoketMarty04

Postby tempAnon093 » 31 Jan 2023, 03:13

Looking great!

By the way, it's possible to update an add-on once it's made so it's alright to upload it once the basic animations and kart texture is ready then improve it later with details or changes.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby PoketMarty04 » 01 Feb 2023, 00:42

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Looking great!

By the way, it's possible to update an add-on once it's made so it's alright to upload it once the basic animations and kart texture is ready then improve it later with details or changes.

Thank you!

I'm testing the actual vehicle right now. my main issue tho is with the animation of the character, I really struggle with them.

the day I actually have the character seated on the kart and the textures finished I will upload it in the addons.

for now tho it's just a T posing Firefox on top of a un-textured kart, not the greatest thing ever.

below the latest improvements
firefox_kart_top.jpg

firefox_kart_rear.jpg

firefox_latest.jpg

thank you again, let me know what you think and what should I improve if you have any suggestions
PoketMarty04

Postby wilmaster734 » 24 Jun 2023, 19:48

It's really cool. The model of the character and the car look really well done. I'd really like you to publish this character as an addon. I'd download it right now. I really advise you to continue making other characters. You have talent and you should use it. If you manage to create good characters and respect the legal side (license), I'm sure your characters could be added to the game. Once again, hats off to you for creating such a wonderful character.
wilmaster734

Postby Polo10 » 16 Aug 2023, 16:04

Hello pocket,
I love your work ! It's really really good !
What become your work now ?
Is it soon finish ?
Have a nice day !
Polo10