My STK projects

Re: My STK projects

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 21 Nov 2022, 02:04

eltomito {l Wrote}:I tried Snow Weeks and it's fantastic. The big jump is one of my favorite moments in all of STK!

Thanks, really nice to hear that :D

eltomito {l Wrote}:The only thing I noticed that was kind of odd was that at the end of the big jump, it looked like the kart first landed on an invisible cushion and then skipped off of it to the actual road. Is there a reason for that?

Yep youre right I kinda forgot about that. The reason for it is that the cannon ends mid air to prevent cars from taking the cannon in reverse mode, a while back I tried quite a bit to tweak this but I think the only way it worked well was when the cannon just ended on the ground (which doesnt work for reverses).
I'm honestly so used to it that I'm not even noticing it, but maybe I should take another look at this and see if I can find any workaround.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 21 Nov 2022, 07:12

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:So the last few days I focused on finishing one of my projects, and I'm happy to say that I feel like "Snow Weeks" is now in a finished state.

Great to hear an update from you! (I was meant to reply to this earlier but my weekend was suddenly eaten.)

Snow Weeks is looking very nice, and I like the paths through the trees in the reverse track. It's good to see the bots handling it well.
The only thing I noticed was really minor, one of the houses is on a hill so the back of it is floating above the snow. So maybe just extending the bottom of the house model downwards would fix that.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Sewer

That will be interesting to see. The current Sewer add-on, while a bit rough around the edges, has always been one I loved.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 21 Nov 2022, 21:24

Alright here is just a small update with some fixes based on the feedback I got. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw3gksxcnwdb6 ... 1.zip?dl=0

- The shortcut after the big jump has been fixed by adding a checkline in the middle of the tunnel.

- Karts should now stay on the ground after the big jump and not bump around in weird ways.
(I've tried to tweak this as good as possible but while working on it I had the problem that sometimes karts went under the ground, I believe this shouldn't happen anymore, but if this should still happen regularly this change would have to be reverted).
(also the basketball is behaving really weird at the jump section I believe it's been like this before as well. However I haven't been able to fix this).

- houses are back on the ground were they belong.

The only feedback I haven't tackled yet is to make the part after the jump more interesting. This task doesn't have a high priority for me right now, since I don't have any good ideas what to improve on it, with a rather low amount of work. I might look at this again in the future if me or someone else has a great idea for it.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Snow Weeks is looking very nice, and I like the paths through the trees in the reverse track. It's good to see the bots handling it well.

Nice to hear! I also kinda like it but wasn't to sure about it since it's also a bit of a cheap way to make the track driveable in reverse
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 22 Nov 2022, 05:06

The path through the trees is fun and adds variety and challenge, which is suitable for the optional reverse mode.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:The only feedback I haven't tackled yet is to make the part after the jump more interesting.

I have no problem with it being open and wide, if you need to fill space then a couple of snowmen to dodge could work.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Polo10 » 27 Nov 2022, 14:06

Hello Sven,
I think your work for STK is fabulous and great.
Congratulations on the new versions of the various standard races in the game.
I have a request for you:
Could you add to your track some track extensions here and there like in the Mario Kart races?
It's up to you because I know it would take you a lot of time to do them.
And about the new Fort Magma track, I think it's on the right track and I would make the same request as for Snow Weeks, which is to add extensions because I find that they add spice to the race.
Good luck!

P.S.: If you have started the new version of Nessie's Pond, could you attach the link please?
Polo10

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 28 Nov 2022, 00:30

Polo10 {l Wrote}:Hello Sven,
I think your work for STK is fabulous and great.
Congratulations on the new versions of the various standard races in the game.
I have a request for you:
Could you add to your track some track extensions here and there like in the Mario Kart races?
It's up to you because I know it would take you a lot of time to do them.
And about the new Fort Magma track, I think it's on the right track and I would make the same request as for Snow Weeks, which is to add extensions because I find that they add spice to the race.
Good luck!

P.S.: If you have started the new version of Nessie's Pond, could you attach the link please?

Hello Polo,
thanks for your kind words :)

As you said it takes a lot of time to add good extensions/shortcuts to tracks.
For snow weeks especially because it's graphicaly completly finished and would take even more time because I would have to brake up existing shapes and might not even be sure if the shortcut would work as intended.
So for snow weeks I'm almost certain that I won't change anything exept for small fixes.
That said I defenitly agree that shortcuts can be very fun, and I will be looking more into it on the tracks I'm currently working on.

As I said above exept for some asset modelling I haven't really started working on Nessie's pond yet, when there will be something to show I will post about it :)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby fracture » 28 Nov 2022, 01:38

I haven't played in a while but I'm glad this forum and your projects are still alive. I haven't had time to play the complete Snow Weeks track yet so I don't have any thoughts for now.

- Sewer: Yep I know this one is a bit surprising, a few weeks back I wasn't home and only had my laptop with me but wanted to work one a track...

I remember playing this track a couple years ago and it looked so broken and incomplete playing in reverse mode.
fracture

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 06 Dec 2022, 11:33

New Fortmagma Update, https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpodhwqzu8sy0 ... 8.zip?dl=0

newfortmagma-2022.12.06_11.22.46.jpg

newfortmagma-2022.12.06_11.24.21.jpg

newfortmagma-2022.12.06_11.18.19.jpg

This new update has mostly ghraphical improvements such as:

- noloks castle

- Start section

- exit of the swinging ball sction

But also some gameplay fixes:

- the swinging balls now have there on speed which makes them feel more radom (teleport bug in reverse has been fixed)

- factory section is connected to the next section again

Have fun with it :)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 07 Dec 2022, 04:57

It's looking beautiful, especially with that new start line. :)

Just mentioning while I remember: on some of the official tracks they have the sand barrels that explode when you collide with them, I wonder if some green exploding sludge barrels would work in the sewer track.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby kimden » 10 Dec 2022, 21:28

In addition to what I said in other places: I think the first turn of New Fort Magma is cuttable right now by dropping down. I am not exactly sure for now how exactly to do it faster, but I saw Polo doing it pretty often, so I guess it works. :) I guess it's not intended, so writing here
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 11 Dec 2022, 23:45

kimden {l Wrote}:In addition to what I said in other places: I think the first turn of New Fort Magma is cuttable right now by dropping down. I am not exactly sure for now how exactly to do it faster, but I saw Polo doing it pretty often, so I guess it works. :) I guess it's not intended, so writing here

I noticed that too, but I'll admit it's really fun.

On one hand, they can quickly fix it with a checkline, however that won't help people falling down accidentally.
On the other, they can add a reset/rescue to prevent anyone falling.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 12 Dec 2022, 01:08

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:It's looking beautiful, especially with that new start line. :)

Just mentioning while I remember: on some of the official tracks they have the sand barrels that explode when you collide with them, I wonder if some green exploding sludge barrels would work in the sewer track.

The barrels are a really cool idea, I will keep them in mind.

kimden {l Wrote}:In addition to what I said in other places: I think the first turn of New Fort Magma is cuttable right now by dropping down. I am not exactly sure for now how exactly to do it faster, but I saw Polo doing it pretty often, so I guess it works. :) I guess it's not intended, so writing here

Yep thx for telling me I fixed it by adding a rescue plane, (the plane itself is having some weird problems tho, sometimes you can drive on it for a moment before it resets the kart, but it doesn't matter to much I guess).
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby eltomito » 14 Dec 2022, 00:45

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:

Yep thx for telling me I fixed it by adding a rescue plane, (the plane itself is having some weird problems tho, sometimes you can drive on it for a moment before it resets the kart, but it doesn't matter to much I guess).

Would it be possible to fix it by making the rock wall on the left side of the road a little longer instead of adding a rescue plane?
I'd prefer making it obvious and natural why you can't jump down there over adding an invisible boundary.

Or maybe you could fill the space where the jump is possible with a scorched spider web or something.
eltomito

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 14 Dec 2022, 10:37

"Would it be possible to fix it by making the rock wall on the left side of the road a little longer instead of adding a rescue plane?
I'd prefer making it obvious and natural why you can't jump down there over adding an invisible boundary.

Or maybe you could fill the space where the jump is possible with a scorched spider web or something.

Your right it's probably a good idea to give a visual indicator for players that they can't jump down there.
I'm not gonna extend the rock wall as I don't wanna block the view of the turn but I will try to fix it by adding some kind of railing
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby QwertyChouskie » 22 Dec 2022, 03:20

Man, how did I miss this? I'm so glad to see these track progressing further!
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 22 Dec 2022, 03:31

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}: (the plane itself is having some weird problems tho, sometimes you can drive on it for a moment before it resets the kart, but it doesn't matter to much I guess).

Make sure to set it to rescue for both collision and driving, this is probably the issue. Also make sure to disable collision sounds, too many invisible walls in STK don't disable collision sounds and it's a pet peeve of mine ;)

EDIT: This also goes for the lava.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 22 Dec 2022, 04:45

I just played through the new update of Fort Magma, here are my thoughts:

First off, It's awesome! I'm so excited for a new revision :)

Second, the castle thing at the starting area blends into the rocks surroundings too much, due to the extremely similar colors. Maybe a light concrete texture could be interesting, it would stand out at least a bit more, and would still fit with the whole factory vibe. IMHO the track in general could definitely stand to have some more color variety beyond dark gray/reddish gray/red. The main factory segment would also be a good candidate for a different color scheme, perhaps more focused on blue (it is a Nitro factory after all) and green.
QwertyChouskie

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 22 Dec 2022, 10:15

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:
SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}: (the plane itself is having some weird problems tho, sometimes you can drive on it for a moment before it resets the kart, but it doesn't matter to much I guess).

Make sure to set it to rescue for both collision and driving, this is probably the issue. Also make sure to disable collision sounds, too many invisible walls in STK don't disable collision sounds and it's a pet peeve of mine ;)

You mean enableing rescue in both the texture and object settings right? Because I did that and it didn't work, but I have already fixed this issue by changing the shape of the rescue plane/object.

Wait how do you disable collision sounds for objects? I've actually never done that.

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:I just played through the new update of Fort Magma, here are my thoughts:

Second, the castle thing at the starting area blends into the rocks surroundings too much, due to the extremely similar colors. Maybe a light concrete texture could be interesting, it would stand out at least a bit more, and would still fit with the whole factory vibe. IMHO the track in general could definitely stand to have some more color variety beyond dark gray/reddish gray/red. The main factory segment would also be a good candidate for a different color scheme, perhaps more focused on blue (it is a Nitro factory after all) and green.

Nice glad you like it :)

You're right about the colours at the moment everything is either dark grey (rocks walls and roads) or orange (lava) a bit more variety would probably help to make the track feel more alive and interesting.
It's a bit difficult to tune that tho since I wanna keep the rather dark tone of the track (on the outdoor parts at least) and due to that even differently colored textures appear almost the same as the grey ones (take the road at the start as an example it's kinda brownish but you hardly notice it's different colour). And the strong red lighting is playing it's part on that problem as well as it's not really allowing other colours to shine through.

But I still agree and think there are solutions for that I will try to find.

At least on the indoor parts (factory and castle) it should be easier and also well fitting to break up with the colour sheme.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby QwertyChouskie » 23 Dec 2022, 01:11

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:
QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:

You mean enableing rescue in both the texture and object settings right? Because I did that and it didn't work, but I have already fixed this issue by changing the shape of the rescue plane/object.

Wait how do you disable collision sounds for objects? I've actually never done that.

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:I just played through the new update of Fort Magma, here are my thoughts:

Nice glad you like it :)

You're right about the colours at the moment everything is either dark grey (rocks walls and roads) or orange (lava) a bit more variety would probably help to make the track feel more alive and interesting.
It's a bit difficult to tune that tho since I wanna keep the rather dark tone of the track (on the outdoor parts at least) and due to that even differently colored textures appear almost the same as the grey ones (take the road at the start as an example it's kinda brownish but you hardly notice it's different colour). And the strong red lighting is playing it's part on that problem as well as it's not really allowing other colours to shine through.

But I still agree and think there are solutions for that I will try to find.

At least on the indoor parts (factory and castle) it should be easier and also well fitting to break up with the colour sheme.

For kart resetting, see this: https://supertuxkart.net/Physics#reset-rescue-player

As for disabling collision sounds, I forget how it's done but I'm pretty sure it's possible somehow.
QwertyChouskie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 24 Dec 2022, 01:23

I found this in the changelog for STK 1.0:

"Audio improvements (crash sound depending on speed/direction, no crash sound on rescue walls, sound cue in nitro challenges)"

So if the set the collision action to rescue, then it shouldn't make a sound when colliding.
QwertyChouskie

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 24 Dec 2022, 11:05

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:For kart resetting, see this: https://supertuxkart.net/Physics#reset-rescue-player

Well yeah I did exactly this don't know why it didn't work, might have to try again and find the problem.

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:I found this in the changelog for STK 1.0:

"Audio improvements (crash sound depending on speed/direction, no crash sound on rescue walls, sound cue in nitro challenges)"

So if the set the collision action to rescue, then it shouldn't make a sound when colliding.

Ah okay but for obvious reasons that won't work for invisible walls, as they shouldn't rescue the karts but only prevent them from moving into specific areas.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby QwertyChouskie » 26 Dec 2022, 19:12

IMHO invisible walls should always rescue karts, if you want to block a kart without rescuing, you should probably have an actual object there. Being able to just drive into an invisible wall gives a feeling of things not being complete, it kinda breaks the illusion so to speak.
QwertyChouskie

Postby eltomito » 26 Dec 2022, 23:18

In New Fort Magma, it seems to me that the swinging spike balls are much harder to evade on Expert level than on SuperTux level which should be the other way around.
Is it because on SuperTux, the karts go faster so it's easier to slip by?
If it's so, maybe the balls should swing faster in SuperTux mode.
eltomito

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 27 Dec 2022, 13:34

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:IMHO invisible walls should always rescue karts, if you want to block a kart without rescuing, you should probably have an actual object there. Being able to just drive into an invisible wall gives a feeling of things not being complete, it kinda breaks the illusion so to speak.

Hm maybe you're right, I have never really thought about it that much.

Now that I think about it I kinda dislike both options, but sometimes there is no elegant way to block a player from entering an area were I don't want the players to go.

Immediately rescuing a player when he goes to far away from the road feels so harsh to me for some reason :twisted:

But having an invisible wall that randomly blocks a player is probably even worse, it kinda feels like cheating since there is "nothing"

The only thing we're I like invisible walls over rescue planes, is in the egg hunt mode, the player could just be exploring and then be rescued back on track "randomly".
Just to have to drive all the way back to that place again having to avoid the rescue plane without knowing were it is.

For fortmaga that isn't an issue tho I think I haven't used any invisible wall so far (except for some bridges to get get better driving physics, and prevent frustration by getting stuck in the railing).

eltomito {l Wrote}:In New Fort Magma, it seems to me that the swinging spike balls are much harder to evade on Expert level than on SuperTux level which should be the other way around.
Is it because on SuperTux, the karts go faster so it's easier to slip by?
If it's so, maybe the balls should swing faster in SuperTux mode.

Yes you're right about that.
Does anyone know if/how it,s possible to use the "visible if" option in the object properties for that?
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby Typhon » 28 Dec 2022, 09:44

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Does anyone know if/how it,s possible to use the "visible if" option in the object properties for that?

You might want to look at the scripting.as files included in some tracks (like e.g. OMC). I don't know whether this is possible to make it depending on difficulty, but since it works with reverse/not reverse and gamemode, I think there should be a way.
You'll find them in the track's corresponding directory.

Best Regards,
Typhon
Typhon