Track and kart Ideas

Re: Track and kart Ideas

Postby fracture » 01 Oct 2020, 01:58

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:responding to https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 480#p94599

fracture {l Wrote}:An urban circuit would be a good idea for a track. Ever since I first played this game I've been waiting for a track with actual traffic similar to N64 Toad's Turnpike, where players must dodge the cars (and in reverse mode, the cars come towards you). I'm assuming the reason this hasn't happened yet is because of limitations with the game's engine? Can it not display that many moving vehicles?

It can, and a couple of add-ons do. Voxel Village does, LM Track has a small section with a moving car and Black Forest has a moving train. The game allows you to animate an object like that and for that object to crash your kart. I think it's more that not many artists made tracks that required them or thought about adding them.
An urban track would be nice for a change, I always loved the atmosphere created by City Lights and some of it's street-circuit dynamics.

Imagine City Lights or Beam Runner with outstanding graphics and several moving cars as obstacles that the player must constantly avoid. City Lights in reverse mode would become one of the hardest tracks ever created, and Beam Runner wouldn't be one of the top 5 easiest addons tracks.
fracture

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 07 Oct 2020, 13:55

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:I think it's more that not many artists made tracks that required them or thought about adding them.

I already thought a lot about designing an track with moving obstacles.
But the real problem is that the AI karts wouldn't try to avoid the moving obstacles and for that reason such a track wouldn't be fun offline, because the AIs wouldn't be fast at all.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby tempAnon093 » 08 Oct 2020, 02:42

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:I already thought a lot about designing an track with moving obstacles.
But the real problem is that the AI karts wouldn't try to avoid the moving obstacles and for that reason such a track wouldn't be fun offline, because the AIs wouldn't be fast at all.

That's a good point. I wonder if it would be possible in the future for devs to make a dodge/repel property for objects so that AI will try to avoid it, like they do for bowling balls or bananas.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby rumweg16 » 25 Dec 2020, 13:34

Hello,

on December 29th our son will be 10 years old.

One of his most important wishes is to have a driving Lynx in STK, for example like this:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luchse#/m ... _poing.jpg

If anyone is able to create such a lovely animal our son would be very happy :-)

Thanks to all people who develop STK and add-ons!

Peter
rumweg16

Postby francesco bat » 08 Mar 2021, 01:14

Hi!
Someone could to create a kart with Gizmo of The Gremlins with Barbie Car or in alternative pink car ?
It could to be very fun :)
Gizmo in Barbie Car in Gremlins 2:
Bye :D
Francesco bat
francesco bat

Postby tlbomb » 17 Apr 2021, 12:07

I think there should be a track located in a basque-themed mountain village.
With worst regards you can think of... No, I was just sarcastic *cough*
With BEST regards,
tlbomb
tlbomb

Location: Actually... just somewhere in the universe. Ask Mr. Beeblebrox for further information.

Postby rico » 21 Apr 2021, 21:43

Take wheels off karts to function as hovercraft - easy example bike like craft, -- mousekart already made.
then make waterpark with turbo slide, jumps, and rings in air - held up by drones...
maybe do backflip in air... frontflip, one leg, superman, practice safety in real life
rico

Postby tlbomb » 26 Apr 2021, 18:07

I know that Crystal maybe already works on it this, but I think there should be an Add-on based on the 1960s VW Beetle.
With BEST regards,
tlbomb
tlbomb

Location: Actually... just somewhere in the universe. Ask Mr. Beeblebrox for further information.

Postby CLDANGL » 16 May 2021, 06:12

So...anyone knows about West Lake in Hanoi, Vietnam? I think that'd be a great and very hard track to make, but it worth. Since it's...to big, IMHO.
CLDANGL

Postby Ray » 25 May 2021, 15:48

Remake shiny suburbs.
Ray

Postby Bird » 06 Jun 2021, 17:08

There is a little bug at the original track "Volcano Island". I was driving a race in the opposite direction. The ranking becomes funny two corners in front of the crossover, so at the end of a lap. Many opponents start to stack on top of each other (in the ranking). When they approach the finish line, the ranking becomes normal, but if that happens on the last lap, their times will be all equal (calculated). Probably the game doesn't recognise the karts for a short time?
Bird

Postby Bird » 12 Jun 2021, 11:06

I would like to critisize the two addon tracks "High in the Sky" and "Lake Ikeal" for having boost pads / lanes that become visible too late. Okay, I'm playing this with second-lowest graphical settings on a mini-desktop computer (if that makes a difference in this case). The boost symbols are colourful when standing next to them, but they simply appear too late, when driving towards them. There should be a more visible texture on the ground below the boosts. Maybe make the ground a little bit darker for example.
The rest of these two tracks is well made!
Bird

Postby JeremiahKun » 19 Jun 2021, 07:46

JeremiahKun {l Wrote}:This is a concept for STK, what if Databricks had a mascot? Here we have a beaver, unofficially representing the company itself.

His fur is orange with his hands and feet brown, he is male, and wears a shirt bearing the Databricks logo and a pair of black sneakers.

Update: He now has a slight redesign, thanks to Waver92 on DeviantArt.
My name is Jeremiah. I was built as a mecha to destroy, but I will not destroy anymore.
JeremiahKun

Postby Bird » 06 Aug 2021, 06:26

Certain tracks have invisible walls, like the lighthouse track of the standard tracks. That might have a technical reason, but it would be a great tactical element to be able to shoot bowling balls across the trackside on to another part of the track. Could be used as a tactic. In Hacineda, it works for example.
Bird

Postby tlbomb » 14 Aug 2021, 12:11

Maybe a track based on the "Nuerburg Circuit" in Rhineland-Palatinate?
With BEST regards,
tlbomb
tlbomb

Postby maikcrew » 30 Aug 2021, 18:10

I find it unfair to start last. It could be a pre-race. For example, one lap who will be faster in a certain section or one lap of a given track.
maikcrew

Postby TheYellowArchitect » 02 Sep 2021, 22:36

I was surprised to see mascots who I haven't ever heard of, but not Godot. Godot is very popular, and its marketing hook is pretty much "We are open source"

That said, for a "niche" character, Aria(2c) as a character would be hype, tbh I thought Sara was Aria by default and was dissapointed when I unlocked her. It is also kind of funny, it's like seeing wget as a character lul
TheYellowArchitect

Postby Bird » 29 Sep 2021, 08:49

There are some cats in the addons. Alunya the Anime Cat, Evil Kitty and some cat photo being stuck on a model. Maybe Carrot (the cat from Pepper & Carrot webcomics) would be a good representative for the cats?
Also, updating Mozilla would be a very good addition to the current lineup. Enough cuteness, we need an angry looking reptile, too! Diversification.
Bird

Postby Bird » 02 Nov 2021, 13:22

I'd like to contact the track maker "probook" with this message! He made a new track called Druids Star. Very interesting layout, having multiple crashing points. Most tracks suffer from giving the leader too much of an advantage, but on Druids Star, shooting someone way upfront should be easier.

But it would be very important to allow cutting through the corners! That's part of the fun on this track, but it's not rewarded.

I also would suggest to put one natural obstacle on the track. Like a hole or a tree growing through the track.
Bird

Postby Diogenes v. S. » 03 Nov 2021, 11:32

Hello Bird, :-)
first of all I would like to thank you for your encouragement and all the suggestions made about my new track, especially since I did not create it with Blender, but with the STK track editor.
However, the STK-track-editor does not offer the same range of functions as is possible in the program Blender.
For this reason, it is not possible for me to equip tracks with freely formable objects, or light effects, or even alternative path passages, etc.
In other words, the modest functionality of the track editor demands that I come up with equally modest ideas for creating new tracks.
But despite all these limitations, I take advantage of the fact that a new track can be created with the track editor in just a few minutes.
In addition, since March 2020, I can hardly spend any time on STK, so I have to give up many pleasures with this game.
But as soon as the related circumstances are over, I will be able to contribute more intensively in the Tux world again and remain until then with dear greetings,

Diogenes (probook) ;-)
The best razor in the universe is Ockham's razor. ;-)
Diogenes v. S.

Postby Bird » 01 Dec 2021, 12:38

Some strange behaviour on "Antediluvian Abyss", the standard underwater track. There seems to be an invisible wall sometimes in online games at the inside of the last corner. Did you encounter this too?

Also, I'd like to mention "Extreme Dimension". Fantastic track, especially the crazy optics, but racing properly on it is destroyed through the shortcut (turning backwards at the lava place, running in the opposite direction, cutting sharp right after the wall). Complete nonsense. The advantage is far too big, so that it is impossible to win a race, if one of the competitors knows this trick.
Bird

Postby benau » 01 Dec 2021, 13:06

make sure you are using at least 1.3 stk on both client and server
benau
STK Moderator

Postby Bird » 03 Dec 2021, 19:40

Ah, the Bretange server seems to use 1.2, but my client was on 1.3. That must create the invisible wall on the underwater track somehow.
Bird

Postby spiceagent11 » 25 Jan 2022, 19:56

we already have a park track. it's in the addons called Peaceful Park
spiceagent11

Re: Track and kart Ideas --openstreetmap

Postby rico » 23 Feb 2022, 00:53

openstreetmap if it's free to add to this.
rico