New track Le tour de l'Antartique

New track Le tour de l'Antartique

Postby wax » 29 Aug 2021, 15:08

Heeyyy,
I make this thread in order to introduce my new work-in-progress track, basically Tour de France inspired https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France.

Here is the download link if you want to try it (feedbacks, even if the track isn't finished, are obviously welcome): https://ecloud.global/s/AxjezDjms8rLaTn

Its name is for now Le Tour de l'Antartique (from french), but it's misspelled because it's actually Le Tour de l'Antarctique (matahina thank you lol).

I recorded a race on it a few minutes ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNNPX91J21k .

This track should be (is imo) much better than my first track Tux Island (3D Driveline, original models...), but it's still far from the quality of many tracks. Also I was a bit surprised by the result, since I hadn't really imagined my track this way.

I'll highlight there the models I made for this track (I hope images will be shown correctly):
https://imgur.com/C7KMkw5
Start from Brest, yes it doesn't look like but I was inspired by it.
https://imgur.com/DXXOkx7
Mont Ventoux
Even if the terrain is not that good, the model of the top is decent, looks like a low-poly model of top of the Mont Ventoux lol.
https://imgur.com/dR5tWPY
No model there, but I'm proud of this shortcut jump even if it needs to be tweaked.
https://imgur.com/GxKSjeK
Phare de Chassiron/Chassiron lighthouse, seems like it is missing a few textures hmpf.
https://imgur.com/7N2LXRs
Pont de Bercy/Bercy bridge, well what d'you expect from low-poly. Overall decent but the road texture is badly applied on it. Also I may add an animated bus on top of it.
https://imgur.com/KgQa6xt
Arc de Triomphe
This is probably the best of the models, although it is simple. Also it was tweaked by Typhon lol, thanks to him!
https://imgur.com/FEGBYxL
Not original but I have to speak about LLS' eiffel tower from Tall 8.

Known issues, things planned

-AI doesn't work as expected, it stops at Pont de Bercy
-Finish line is too high
-Shortcut jump is too high
-Chassiron lighthouse is missing textures
-Terrain and mountains don't look that good
-We can see the end of the track
-Missing items/nitro
-2nd boat isn't visible enough
-at the mountain part a there's a transparent area
-Paris is just awful, need to add better looking buildings and more of them
-Missing barriers and sponsors barriers on most of the track
-I'll add spectators from Collosseum Arena/Las Dunas
-Missing lights, and the two already on the track are badly done.

That's all, have fun!
wax

Re: New track Le tour de l'Antartique

Postby tempAnon093 » 30 Aug 2021, 00:56

wax {l Wrote}:Also I was a bit surprised by the result, since I hadn't really imagined my track this way.

That's how I feel with all my tracks!

It was a fun ride, and an original one too. :) Here's a short list of things I'd watch out for:
- There are a couple of sharp blind turns on the uphill sections. Are you sure you want them to be that sharp and on an uphill slope? (I don't mind them but some people will get annoyed). If yes, I recommend having large [>>>] signs so players know a sharp turn is coming up.
- I like how the road is dark and glossy/reflective, although I think it is a little bit too much reflective for dry weather.
- Grass resets, it would be nice if it only slowed you. If you want it to reset when you fall off the high sections, I would add an invisible reset plane.
- Make sure you're happy with the driveline before caring too much about scenery, as it gets harder to change later.
- Some of the dark road around the cliff is noticeably bumpy. I really like that as it makes it more interesting, along with the high banking in sections so you can look down at the view :)
- Is the cannon at the end a placeholder, or is that meant to be there? It feels like you're taking control of the vehicle for no reason and for a long time, we're here to drive! If you want fast driving to go a long distance, lots of zippers would be better in my opinion, or even a large jump.
- 3 laps seems too much for this long track, maybe set the default to 2
and most importantly, at this stage
- Can the 'Paris' section go through any of the scenery? I'd rather drive under or around the Arc, and through the Eiffel Tower instead of only seeing them from a distance!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby wax » 30 Aug 2021, 09:03

Thanks for the feedback!
Thanks for the first point as well, I didn't noticed this anymore, but it's true that you can't see where some turns go. I think it will be easier when I'll have added some barriers there, if it's not I think I would add array because the driveline is wide enough imo.
-Ok, I guess I have to modify the rough texture? (idk how to do). or maybe add some rain..?
-Y I knew about this, I had thought about adding a new material for this but the invisible plane can be interesting as well.
-I noticed that yes :D. Well I think the problem on Pont de Bercy is because the bridge is higher than the road (and than the driveline), so the karts respawn on the concrete. Maybe setting the concrete texture to ghost texture will fix it ? I'll try
-Thanks but wdym by dark road lol, the cliff attempt?
-Meant to be there, tour de france inspired, so it's thought like a final of a cycling race. The last part wasn't intented to be played, that's why there's that awful pink thing after the finish line. Actually the player who gets first at this finish line gets the lap count the first this way.
Though I can and I will make the canon faster, and maybe move the start?
-It will be even one lap I think.
-Yes that was basically not the idea but why not, can make that part more interesting.
wax

Postby eltomito » 30 Aug 2021, 09:44

Hi!

Great job!

I really like the section with the twisting elevated road stuck to the side of the mountains. It's fun to drive and kind of reminds me of Frozen Drive which I also like a lot but your track has even more of that :) I didn't find any of the turns really tricky. On the contrary, it seemed to me that you can see well ahead most of the time and the blind turns aren't too vicious.

The AIs get stuck in the columned tunnel as if the drive path were turning back at that point. You probably know that, tho.

I second @tempAnnons request for a close tour of the interesting buildings :) We should totally be able to go under the Eiffel Tower. In real life, the Triumph Arch is in the middle of a gigantic roundabout, so maybe you could do that too or not - let people drive under it if they can't IRL :)

And I agree that the track is kinda long, so 2 laps would be enough. And I don't know what your plan is for the city section but I wouldn't mind if it were really short. Just exist the tunnel straight into a wide turn that lets you see the city and takes you under the Arc de Triomphe, then zip under the Eiffel Tower and off you go to the finish line. Or something :)
eltomito

Postby wax » 30 Aug 2021, 11:01

Thanks for the feedback too. And for the compliment :D.

Yeah I was probably a bit inspired by frozen drive that I really like too. Though imo it's not as good lol.
I think tempanon was refering to the two turns before the top, where indeed you can't really see where the road goes even if they're not too vicious.

Yes I'm aware of the AI issue, I'll try to fix it.

If you are all ok for that kind of tour in Paris it's ok then, but I may have to modify my driveline if it's still possible there.
wax

Postby Bird » 30 Aug 2021, 13:14

Even if the racing track doesn't fit to drive through the Eifel Tower, you could make some kind of hidden road lead towards it. Like an easter egg!

The final section could simulate the sprint of the cyclists. A lot of zippers which require weaving might lead to some interesting finishes.
Bird

Postby wax » 30 Aug 2021, 13:54

Good points, maybe indeed the player would have to drive under Arc de Triomphe but driving under Eiffel Tower would be an easter egg.
And yes, the final section was thought this way and having zippers on different sides of the road would make it more interesting indeed.

Btw some informations on the advancement : AI is fixed, grass too, and all the respawn issues as well. (the driveline was actually too low). Also I succeeded to save 300 000 tris on the track, so it should be lighter.
wax

Postby tempAnon093 » 31 Aug 2021, 00:59

wax {l Wrote}:-Ok, I guess I have to modify the rough texture? (idk how to do). or maybe add some rain..?

I think it looks better in the sun, so I wouldn't add rain.
If you're using the rough texture as a gloss map (they're not the same thing!), this guide explains how it is read into SuperTuxKart.
https://supertuxkart.net/Materials#Gloss_Map
[EDIT: READ REPLY TO THIS POST, THIS HAS SOME MISTAKES]
The rough texture color is on average about 78% bright for red, green and blue channels (except for on the road markings), so the high amount of green in that grey is making it reflective. If the dark road base color texture were a lighter color, the high amount of blue in that grey would also make it 'glow'.
Do you have an image editing tool like GIMP? You can use it to darken the entire rough map to use it as a less-reflective gloss map, then maybe adjust the red level to your preference.
Last edited by tempAnon093 on 31 Aug 2021, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tempAnon093 » 31 Aug 2021, 01:19

wax {l Wrote}:-Meant to be there, tour de france inspired, so it's thought like a final of a cycling race. The last part wasn't intented to be played, that's why there's that awful pink thing after the finish line. Actually the player who gets first at this finish line gets the lap count the first this way.
-It will be even one lap I think.

Do you want it to be more like Powder Rush, where the finish line is different from the start line? (it can instantly teleport to the start line again if you want, allowing 2 laps to do 2 runs.) I can teach you how to do that, you can use alternate laplines to count laps in places that aren't the start line.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby QwertyChouskie » 31 Aug 2021, 01:22

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
wax {l Wrote}:-Ok, I guess I have to modify the rough texture? (idk how to do). or maybe add some rain..?

I think it looks better in the sun, so I wouldn't add rain.
If you're using the rough texture as a gloss map (they're not the same thing!), this guide explains how it is read into SuperTuxKart.
https://supertuxkart.net/Materials#Gloss_Map
The rough texture color is on average about 78% bright for red, green and blue channels (except for on the road markings), so the high amount of green in that grey is making it reflective. If the dark road base color texture were a lighter color, the high amount of blue in that grey would also make it 'glow'.
Do you have an image editing tool like GIMP? You can use it to darken the entire rough map to use it as a less-reflective gloss map, then maybe adjust the red level to your preference.

This actually isn't correct anymore, since STK uses PBR. Now Red is shininess, Green is metallic (should be 0 for asphalt), and Blue is emissive (should also be 0 is this case).

@Benau, maybe this Wiki page can be updated?
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby wax » 31 Aug 2021, 12:43

Basically it was intented to be done in the same way as powder rush, 3 laps not looped. But I got many issues doing this (canon not working, respawn issues, kart starting on the side..) so I had to remake it. But if you know what causes these issues/how to solve maybe I'll modify my driveline.

Looking at the gloss map rn
wax

Postby benau » 04 Sep 2021, 06:15

QwertyChouskie not sure if you read irc history, but I've provided a new png for the "rainbow bar", now only your help to gimme a better english description for the new pbr.... Image
benau
STK Moderator

Postby wax » 04 Sep 2021, 09:40

Can you tell me if it's fine with the linked texture (just replace it in the track folder)? Maybe I modified too much actually.. waiting for your thoughts.
Attachments
Road_001_roughness.jpg
wax

Postby wax » 05 Sep 2021, 15:25

Here is a new rev, there are still a few missing things and some issues, but at least AI can finish the track and Paris is better looking.
I failed to create some easter egg : -First I tried to let the kart go in the blimp, which is not supported (benau told me he could try fixing that iirc). -Second I tried to make a part below Paris (you can still enter it by the Arc de Triomphe), then allow the kart to go up to a secret area above Paris thanks to a canon. Canon not working idk why.

https://ecloud.global/s/kmWdXLMyP9FkJ2H
Attachments
Screenshot_20210905_155157.jpg
wax

Postby eltomito » 06 Sep 2021, 19:49

Hi!

I tried the version above and it looks good but there's a major problem that in the Paris section, I can't see where the road is going. On the lowerst gfx settings, the ground looks the same everywhere and there's absolutely no way to see where I'm supposed to go. So, I turned on the advanced gfx pipeline but it was the same thing! I couldn't see where I was going no matter what!

I mean, there is a bunch of fences around but the actual road is invisible, lost in the ground that is made of the same paving stones everywhere. You gotta make the road look different than the rest of everything! :D
eltomito

Postby Mactor » 20 Sep 2021, 13:18

Hello,

The circuit is very great, with Mont Ventoux, I find it interesting the races where we have big climbs like this one, I love it ... But we would have to add safety barriers on the edges of the road. Mont Ventoux to prevent the other AI karts from falling into the low prices ... And consequently making the player too easy ... (half of the AI ​​players fall).

Mactor, from France.
Mactor

Postby wax » 21 Sep 2021, 15:21

Hey,
First thank you for the feedback.
I'll fix this on next rev, maybe in a week or two.

Btw if some there didn't know, I released a first rev on stk addons as beta.
The next rev will be more or less the final version.
Are planned for this revision :
To change Paris ground texture,
to change barriers in Paris to sponsors' signs,
to change eggs for the other difficulties in egg hunt,
to modify the grass so it fits the road.
And now to add sponsors' signs as safety barriers to prevent AI falling
wax